Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What got you into true crime/ Columbine?

Go down 
+12
perfection
Selah
TaylorsMom
Futility
downwardspiral
P.i
Ladyloki616
apartment213
QuestionMark
Devil_Bunnies
true_crime
Norwegian
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78828
Forum Reputation : 304

What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Im just qurious.
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58524
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:48 pm

Believe it or not, it was actually Columbine.

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 pm

My school hosted one of the "Rachel's Challenge" things about bullying. I wanted to know more about the shooting itself, so I went home and looked it up. I found out that all the stuff about Rachel and God was not true, so I started to research even deeper. Now, here I am.
Back to top Go down
Devil_Bunnies

Devil_Bunnies

Contribution Points : 46096
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 5:49 pm

I got into the community thanks to Brenda Spencer, but I have always been interested about this kinds of topics, investigations and even making theories, so one day I just look it up in the internet and poof! I discovered this nice and very entertaining community!

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120353
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2020 1:10 am

Years ago, in 2014, I saw Eric's name pop up in a list of people with psychopathic traits. At this point I already had a minor interest in serial killers and wanted to know more.

apartment213

Contribution Points : 36815

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:01 am

I heard an episode of the radio show Opie and Anthony in which they interviewed one of the cops who interrogated Jeffrey Dahmer the night he was apprehended. After this, I fell down the rabbit hole of serial killer documentaries on youtube. I would rewatch them all the time, but they lacked a certain depth I craved, so I started purchasing books about serial killers off Amazon. I learnt everything I could about Dahmer. My name, apartment 213, is a reference to his apartment in which most of the killing took place. This interest broadened into a general fascination with aberrant psychology. I read Elliot Rodger's manifesto in 2016. In 2017, Randy Stair (who I know posted here) left behind a trove of primary sources in the form of videos and writings. He spoke a lot about Columbine, so I was intrigued. I've watched a few documentaries and today I bought Dave Cullen's book on Kindle. I hope to return armed with more information and ideas upon finishing the book.

milennialrebelette likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ladyloki616

Ladyloki616

Contribution Points : 42287

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm

I grew up watching it because of my mum. I would sit with her and watch it from serial killers, unsolved, missing cases and the unknown. In my early teens, I got into the rabbit hole from early youtube documentaries days. I would listen to them while I was studying.

For Columbine, I had always known about it. I wasn't interested in an understanding of school shootings. Until I watched documentaries about the Dunblane massacre that happened in my country in the 90's. I started getting curious about other school shootings like Texas tower, Virginia Tech, and others. Something about Columbine, that I wanted to learn more and understand from the resources we have access too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 6:50 pm

I had heard of Columbine before this but I never really got into it until 2015 after finding and playing a Columbine map in the game Garry's Mod.
Back to top Go down
P.i

Contribution Points : 45177

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cullens book is not the best if you want facts
Back to top Go down
downwardspiral

downwardspiral

Contribution Points : 40925
Forum Reputation : 306

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 am

True crime in general: Honestly I think it was those "Have you seen this child?" things on the news back when I was a kid, as I would always be really freaked out by them, yet fascinated.

But, I think the first true crime case that sparked my interest to research was the Diane Schuler case. I saw the documentary playing on the TV in a bar for some reason, and was instantly drawn in. I immediately looked it up and watched it when I got home. Part of it was that the locations associated with the case were routes I traveled regularly at the time, and even included the area where I grew up. But the case itself is also just interesting. I have come to a conclusion on what happened that I feel pretty satisfied with, but I guess we will never know for sure, unless someone talks.

True crime really took off as an obsession for me a couple of years later though after I came across the "list of people who disappeared mysteriously" article on Wikipedia. After that I was really into missing and unidentified cases and even worked on trying to match unidentified bodies to missing people. I didn't get particularly interested in murder cases until last year.

Columbine specifically: I had kept up with mass shootings in the news for years because of their prevalence and the debate on what to do about them, so I had done some basic research on Columbine. But I only started researching it in depth last year after I got really obsessed with the Kam McLeod/Bryer Schmegelsky case. The motive in that case is still unknown and there's a lot of gaps in the information.

So basically I started researching other rampage killings to get some idea on the whole mindset and psychopathology of their perpetrators, beyond just the "shooter" stereotype or what was reported in the news. Columbine was one that had some parallels in particular for a few reasons: a) the dual perpetrators and codependent dynamic, b) the fact that the sequence of events was, at the time, sort of unprecedented, and didn't seem to really be copying prior crimes, c) the personal symbolism and "delusion of grandeur"-ism in a lot of what they did. Plus, of course, there is a lot of information out there about it.

But really, I just have an interest in the topic in general because of this one northern BC murders case, and Columbine is just one of the more well known attacks. Beyond that, I also find it interesting because of the whole 90s cultural aspect of it, and its impact as a world event.
Back to top Go down
Futility

Contribution Points : 38162
Forum Reputation : 105

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 7:45 am

Im interested in why people commit crimes,especially why some choose to go on a killing-Spree.
Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 78017
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I’m curious to hear your conclusion on the Diane Schuler case, I’m very interested in that case as well!
Back to top Go down
downwardspiral

downwardspiral

Contribution Points : 40925
Forum Reputation : 306

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 12:05 am

TaylorsMom wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I’m curious to hear your conclusion on the Diane Schuler case, I’m very interested in that case as well!

This is a copy of a post I made on another true crime forum a while back with my theory on the case (sorry it is so long, lol). I put it in spoiler tags so as not to clog up the thread.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Selah

Selah

Contribution Points : 80508

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 2:52 pm

It was 2002 and I was 12. They had just released the Rampart Range footage. That got me into researching Columbine and true crime in general.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 12:48 am

I've been aware of Columbine since I was about 10 years old, even though I had previously read about serial killers and mass murders on the Internet. I've always had an interest with murder and mystery.
Back to top Go down
perfection

Contribution Points : 39849
Forum Reputation : 55

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Last edited by perfection on Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 7:29 pm

I grew up watching forensic shows with my Mom.
Back to top Go down
ValiantSoldier

ValiantSoldier

Contribution Points : 58121

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Through a meme on youtube leading me to zero hour and then finally to columbine

<<If all shall turn against me, I'll fight like I always have.>>

<<There are three kinds of people: those who seek strength, those who live for pride, and those who can read the tide of battle.>>

<<Belka did absolutely nothing wrong.>>
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 64058
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 12:29 am

Virginia Tech

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 11:50 pm

I started reading into Columbine several months after Parkland happened, although I was vaguely aware of what Columbine was years before that.
Back to top Go down
mrbaby56

mrbaby56

Contribution Points : 62045

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 6:29 am

There was a TV-show about Swedish-Americans revisiting Sweden to find their ancestral history. There was a woman there who went to Columbine and apparently been friends with Cassie Bernall. When I heard about it I started to research it, and then I found CVA which led me here!
Back to top Go down
Blaze88

Blaze88

Contribution Points : 43068
Forum Reputation : 65

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Observing the history of war and violence likewise acknowledging the suffering and tragedies of all peoples worldwide in all history along with the messages left behind.

For me it was not solely in regards to columbine and events alike but mass murder events in general from bloody battles of histories greatest wars to stories of great sorrow involving many losses throughout existence.

In regards to Columbine I fondly remember the Batman shootings and Sandy Hook Shooting seered into my mind before I would eventually look into the 1999 event of columbine and come to later realise it's significance after observing it's complete story inside out and in conclusion for the legacy of 21st century mass killings, and from there I went on till now researching all events of mass murder alike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What got you into true crime/ Columbine?   What got you into true crime/ Columbine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What got you into true crime/ Columbine?
Page 1 of 1