Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Could Adam have pleaded insanity?

Go down 
+10
idontlikevalue
FrauSmiggles
joaingo
Rosie1756
Sabratha
Koltin
Mr Bubbless
dyonqqr
QuestionMark
lognifiiskurk
14 posters
AuthorMessage
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 60164
Forum Reputation : 175

Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Empty
PostSubject: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm

If Adam didn't kill himself and was put on trial, could he have pleaded insanity and been sentenced to an Institution? I think with all of his mental issues (autism, anorexia, possible shizophrenia and psychosis), he could have stood a fair chance of being able to plead insanity if he was put on trial.

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 4:39 pm

Probably not. I’m not really familiar with US laws since I’m not American, but I think Adam would have been declared legally sane just like James Holmes, Kip Kinkel, Jared Loughner and other mass shooters who are also very mentally ill. IIRC a perpetrator can only be considered insane if he or she completely lost touch with reality and had no understanding of his/her actions, which wasn’t the case with Adam.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 5:34 pm

lognifiiskurk wrote:
If Adam didn't kill himself and was put on trial, could he have pleaded insanity and been sentenced to an Institution? I think with all of his mental issues (autism, anorexia, possible shizophrenia and psychosis), he could have stood a fair chance of being able to plead insanity if he was put on trial.

They'd never put him in an institution simply because of the shock value of the crime.

Employer_Square, SonOfaGunz and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 5:59 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
They'd never put him in an institution simply because of the shock value of the crime.

Yeah, that too. Even if all of his victims had been adults, 27 (including Nancy) is still a high kill count, and killing children is so much worse. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 39434
Forum Reputation : 150

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Mentally ill isn't criminally insane. However distorted his thinking (and as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, others were far more distorted) as long as he knew what he was doing, that it was illegal / wrong, and knew of the consequences, he would be treated as sane. Hell, 14 year old Andrew "I Died Four Years Ago, None Of This Is Real" Wurst killed just one and got 30-60 years.

However, it's as much a question of "could he" as "would he," and I doubt he would. If he got Kinkel'd and was taken down by a teacher or something, I believe he would exhaust every possible resource to commit suicide in prison before turning to the justice system and pleasing guilty, driving the case to the death penalty if possible. Given the crime (Dylann Roof killed 9 a third as many adults and may be given the death penalty,) I could see it being granted. There was no way he was letting himself be taken alive.

QuestionMark, lognifiiskurk, Mr Bubbless, rj96 and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 11:31 pm

Looks like death penalty wouldn’t be an option for him though.

Quote :
On April 25, 2012, Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy signed Senate Bill 280 (​2012), ending the state's death penalty.
Back to top Go down
Mr Bubbless
Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

Contribution Points : 38446
Forum Reputation : 731

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 1:13 am

Last edited by Mr Bubbless on Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:44 am; edited 2 times in total

Koltin and lognifiiskurk like this post

Rosie1756 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 103836
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:24 am

Doubt it.

And destiny is proving to be absent from my life.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 96835
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2021 10:53 am

I think he would have a good chance, especially if they would produce those private messages where he admitted to experiencing delusions.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 14996
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 2:47 pm

I think that he knew what he was doing and had planned the attack methodically, so getting an insanity plea would be impossible, especially after killing 20+ children.

Engel and Sylar like this post

Back to top Go down
joaingo

Contribution Points : 13991
Forum Reputation : 27

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2023 5:03 pm

"What Happens When I Plead Insanity? Usually, a defendant will need to have a complete mental evaluation as a first step when claiming insanity as a legal defense. Psychiatrists or psychologists will take the witness stand in your court case. They will testify about your likely state of mind at the time of the offense."

"they will testify about your likely state of mind at the time of the offense"
we all know that during his attack he was yelling insensitively to his victims and would probably been put in an institution for that same reason.
Back to top Go down
FrauSmiggles

FrauSmiggles

Contribution Points : 12699
Forum Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2023 11:14 am

I wish he DID go to prison. Then maybe we'd get interviews with him (but that's just wishful thinking, he's a freak and would probably refuse). And cute prison letters! <3

"‘Make your dreams a reality.’ Well I don't want my dreams to be a reality, I want my dreams to be sprayed allover the wall." - Adam Lanza

NEXT STEP UP and anna444 like this post

Kaynhyde and Ben dislike this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2023 6:14 pm

Last edited by normalface on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
idontlikevalue

Contribution Points : 10120
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2023 12:27 pm

He himself said in his CulturalPhillistine videos that he would be locked up in a mental facility for all the suicide and pedophilia stuff he said there, even before the shooting. Also this might be irrevelant, but he would probably kill himself while in custody anyway because he knew how shit pedophiles are treated, especially when caught (a good example is Nathan Larson).
Back to top Go down
transcendentalauracel331

transcendentalauracel331

Contribution Points : 15657
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2023 5:27 pm

I think he could've and it may have worked. He had measurable brain damage from malnutrition iirc and was diagnosed with Autism and OCD. Not only that, but I think him being in a mental institution would've been the outcome he most deserved. People think that Adam Lanza was evil on some metaphysical basis lol. The fact is that he wasn't an irredeemable monster, his issues just went untreated. There's many such cases of this happening. I think life in prison and the death penalty should be reserved for people who are genuinely anti-social and evil.

"Sat is whatever is other than the Gods and the Prana, while Tyam consists of the Gods and the Prana. All of that is comprehended by this word 'Satyam.' That is the full extent of this whole world. And you are this whole world." - (Kaushitaki Upanishad 1.6)

Nihilism is just the rejection of teleology.

"I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." - Genghis Khan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2023 5:36 pm

Last edited by normalface on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:17 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ben
Banned

Contribution Points : 14810
Forum Reputation : 210

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2023 7:58 pm

American juries virtually always find the most obviously insane mass murder defendants guilty, even for much lower profile crimes than Sandy Hook. If Jared Loughner and Travis Reinking were sentenced to prison, Lanza certainly would've been too simply because of the magnitude of what he did.

And to digress a little, I think it's more likely than not he would've been executed by the police on the spot even if he'd tried to turn himself in.

QuestionMark, vril and Rosie1756 like this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2023 10:48 pm

Ben wrote:
American juries virtually always find the most obviously insane mass murder defendants guilty, even for much lower profile crimes than Sandy Hook. If Jared Loughner and Travis Reinking were sentenced to prison, Lanza certainly would've been too simply because of the magnitude of what he did.

Yeah, generally speaking if you're mentally ill and accused of a crime in the US, virtually the only way you're going into a mental institution is if you're declared unfit for trial, like Dimitri Pagourtzis. Even then they'll still put you on trial if you've recovered to any degree since you were placed in custody.

Rosie1756 and Ben like this post

Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 14996
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 1:31 am

normalface wrote:
His dad had the resources to assemble a good legal team. It would have been one hell of a trial to watch.

But they would have been defending the undefendable, but that is what defence lawyers do.

vril dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 3:06 am

Last edited by normalface on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NEXT STEP UP

NEXT STEP UP

Contribution Points : 41899
Forum Reputation : 720

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 10:32 am

I feel like he would've been railroaded into pleading guilty by everyone around him.

Think with your noggin, not your n!ggin'.
Back to top Go down
Licht

Licht

Contribution Points : 11213
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 12:16 am

NEXT STEP UP wrote:
I feel like he would've been railroaded into pleading guilty by everyone around him.

Most likely, but I wonder if he would’ve held out hope that CT would bring back the death penalty for a crime of his nature (it was only abolished months before) and tried to get it by going to trial. Maybe a bit unrealistic for it to happen but Adam wasn’t exactly a straight thinker anyway.

NEXT STEP UP likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could Adam have pleaded insanity?   Could Adam have pleaded insanity? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Could Adam have pleaded insanity?
Page 1 of 1