Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"

Go down 
+3
Juicy Jazzy
em81
LPorter101
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 3:02 am

What do you guys think of the jeffco destroying the basement tapes. Are they lying to get people off there back or do you think they just want to put the case to rest once and for all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 3:34 am

Yes, I wouldn't doubt that they are capable of this, seeing as they've covered things up in the past. Sad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Someone should still have private copies of the tapes, i'm sure.
Remember that a whole lot of people had access to them over the years. It's highly unlikely jeffco had every copy of the tapes.
However, if i actually got a copy of the tapes, i'd be reluctant about releasing them all of the sudden, because the law hammer could very well drop on me. So time will tell, i guess.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151510
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 5:31 pm

I am certain that someone, somewhere, has a copy.

Contribution Points : 101524
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 6:52 pm

I think the FBI has a copy, but maybe they also destroy the tapes?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:58 am

You'd think they would.
Back to top Go down
em81

Contribution Points : 101524
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 am

sadly, we will never know. same with other facts.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98819
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 am

They were destroyed in early 2011 apparently.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96841
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 12:08 am

I am not sure what to believe here. On one hand, even back in 2011the case had been over for a long time and its highly unlikely anyone else will ever be charged. One the other Jeffco could simply be tired of dealing with inquiries about the tapes and decided to come up with a statement that would end most of that once and for all.
And Jeffco has proven they are certainly willing to lie if it suits their purposes.
If they have been destroyed I think it's a shame although E &D's parents must be relieved.I always thought if they were to be shown it should be many years from now when most close family members of E &D and the victims have passed on. Even if they weren't destroyed, I do think we would have never seen them anyway so I guess it doesn't even really matter in the long run.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 am

It's just like how ISIS is destroying an ancient city in Iraq. They're destroying history.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97917
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 am

On one hand I think Jeffco was simply afraid. Sad to say this but it seems Dylan and Eric did suceed in casuign fear byond the grave.

On the other, the tapes migh really have been dangerous. I haven't seen them, but its possible they did include usefull "how to become a terrorist" advice and they might have ben really triggering for some depressed, misguided people out there.

I think they should not have destroyed the tapes. They should have made a transcript with all the witness names and "terrorist tutorial" segments redacted out, but left the rest as a transcript and make it availabl to the public. This would be imho both relatively safe (we already have their diaries in this format) and also open and pro-public.

The way they did it DOES encourage people to think that Jeffco had something to hide or taht there was a conspiracy. Dunno, it even makes me think it is suspicious and I'm as far away from the conspiracy crowd as it gets.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83690
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 1:15 pm

I know everyone here hates Dave Cullen, but in his book he mentioned the federal court in Denver taking possession of the remaining Columbine evidence because he feared that Jeffco would continue to "lose" important evidence. I am paraphrasing, but I still need to go through and check to see what his source was for it. I can't imagine any evidence would have gone back to Jeffco's possession without a noticeable trail of some kind.

If they are still housed at the courthouse, it might just be a matter of filing the FOIA request in the right direction. To wit, I don't really know how those work.

One thing is for certain, I can see Jeffco simply lying about the evidence to get all of the Tumblr fan girls off their case about it.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83538
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 9:26 pm

No doubt in mind their are additional copies.

Pretty simple to understand the decision to destroy them or establish the belief they no longer exist.

JeffCo had nothing to personally gain by their existence & exposure, but a lot to lose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"   Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the basement tapes being "destroyed"
Page 1 of 1