Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Article preservation idea?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96566
Forum Reputation : 52

Article preservation idea? Empty
PostSubject: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 9:45 pm

I have noticed that as time goes on more and more Columbine articles are disappearing from the net. This happens as old sites and website providers are taken down or go out of business and newspaper archives become pay only . As more time goes on this will happen more and more and most newspapers charge around $3.00 an article in their pay archives. I know that doesn't sound like much but it can quickly add up. I thought we could maybe try to preserve some here. There could be 3 sections for this. One for articles about the victims , one about E &D and one about the event itself and its aftermath. I think preserving these articles is very important as they not only contain valuable information but they give a strong sense of what that period of time was like and what such a tragic but important period of time felt like. What does everyone think of this idea? It is something all could contribute to if they wish.
Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 84990
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 6:34 am

I think it's a great idea, actually a lot of articles have dissapeared by now (like the ones from Rocky Mountains News) and I only got to read them because they were posted in other Columbine forums such as Echoes of Columbine.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks. I'm glad you like the idea .Ultimately,it is up to Jen and Ivan as they would have to both give their permission and make the sections.

Gonz wrote:
I think it's a great idea, actually a lot of articles have dissapeared by now (like the ones from Rocky Mountains News) and I only got to read them because they were posted in other Columbine forums such as Echoes of Columbine.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98544
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 pm

I have thousands of articles saved in PDF form on my computer. Not sure if I can upload the archive as my internet here sucks. But you don't have to worry about any pay walls.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98544
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Alternatively you can use the Wayback Machine to go back in time to find articles written in 1999.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm

That is amazing Jazzy. Perhaps if the board idea doesn't work out you could upload them if you don't mind putting in the time and the effort. I know most if not all members would like to see them.

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
I have thousands of articles saved in PDF form on my computer. Not sure if I can upload the archive as my internet here sucks. But you don't have to worry about any pay walls.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 pm

This is true and it can be a valuable resource but I must say that it doesn't always work. For example if an article has long ago been made pay only, you must have the original article website address or you can not find it on wayback machine. This has happened to me many times.If the article has been made pay only some time ago, the original address can be almost impossible to find .Newspapers and magazines make a nice profit off their pay archives so they make them very difficult to get around.

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
Alternatively you can use the Wayback Machine to go back in time to find articles written in 1999.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Jenn or Ivan or both can you please post here and let us know what you think of this idea? TY

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 12:51 am

I still think this is a good idea so if it is ok with Jen and Ivan, I can make the article categories myself if the form of threads. Is this ok guys?

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118783
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 am

PaintItBlack wrote:
I still think this is a good idea so if it is ok with Jen and Ivan, I can make the article categories myself if the form of threads. Is this ok guys?

We are not going to make actual categories for this on the forum, but if you'd like to make different threads for each category of articles and start posting them, go ahead. Once you create the threads, we will sticky them. Please be sure to do this in the 'Documents' section though.

Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 12:09 am

Thank you for the response Jenn. I'm happy to do this,

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article preservation idea?   Article preservation idea? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Article preservation idea?
Page 1 of 1