Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet

Go down 
+3
radaddio
bigj
LPorter101
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151485
Forum Reputation : 2754

The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Empty
PostSubject: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 10:10 pm

This was back in July 2001. A guy named Jon Pluko was making a Columbine Half-Life mod. But folks got butt-hurt and made him stop:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Contribution Points : 81071
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Reminds me of another mod that was close to release sometime between 08'-12'....Cant remember what it was called, but it was also shot down.
Im fairly certain it was based on the source engine, i remember seeing gameplay footage of it
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83665
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 9:51 am

There have been a few different Columbine inspired game mods. In fact there was a game called School Shooter All American Tour, or something along that line. In the game, which never made it to sale, you could use different load outs based on famous school shooters(Eric's Hi Point and Dylan's tec 9 for instance)

There was even a student at a school less than an hour away from Columbine who made a Counter strike mod that looked like his high school. Naturally, everyone freaked the hell out about it.

The interesting thing that these kids mention is that, when they first start making game maps, they almost always create the layout of their high school, college or wherever they attend. It's not because they're training to shoot up the place, they just remember the layout since they are in it everyday.

Also, see this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Archvile

Archvile

Contribution Points : 79986
Forum Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:04 am

I have two problems with these types of mods,

1. they are never done by CHS experts, even though there is dozens of maps of the inside of CHS released by the cops and tons of photos of the building inside and out, they can never make it look like the real thing
2. these mods are usually nothing more than a random murder sim aimed at people with dark humor and are just classrooms with civilian characters being shot down, I'd rather they make it like SCMRPG (minus the Hell part) where it's not just shooting at fleeing people who don't fight back and it's more like an interactive documentary where you do more things than just shoot and are walking in their shoes, doing all the tasks leading up to the massacre and by the time it ends, you feel like shit after participating and experiencing it all and has some educational value to it.

So what i'm saying is i'd rather a remake of SCMRPG, that's in a 'first person' prospective and much more thorough and factual, and the ability to play the game as three different characters, Eric's point of view, Dylan's point of view and a victim's point of view, now that would be interesting and informative. I can see why people are getting upset when it's just essentially walk into a school and shoot people for the fun, and no other purpose to the game but that.

Also someone is making a mod for Doom.
Back to top Go down
thedude11

Contribution Points : 84217
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 am

I'm actually into game design (not professional, but it definitely looks decent), I've made tons of models in Blender, of which lots are weapons. I could make a columbine map/game in unity, code the weapons they used in, code innocent bystanders and compile it in an .exe file in a short period of time. I just never really dared to do it, it's insensitive to the victim's families and all round a fucked up thing to do, and believe me, I did A TON of research on columbine.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:14 am

I think there is a tasteful way to go about it. We make war video games all the time. We also make historically relevant war and fighting video games as well. There is even a video game designed and developed for the US Army, and they use it as a recruitment tool at public events.

I think if you focused on the historical aspects of the event, and the various interactions that the shooters would have had, you could still have a tasteful and meaningful game.

The problem is, the general public still sees video games as just that and no more. They don't see the value that video games have as a tool for education, rehabilitation or training.

I had a friend who was a veteran of the first Gulf War. He played a lot of GTA because it helped him see death and murder as a trivial and comedic, as weird as that sounds. He claimed that it changed his outlook enough to help him cope with what he saw over there without medication.

So, I think it can be done. Also, we have dev tools now that would allow most anyone to make a very realistic depiction of the school and what happened there. A first person RPG sounds very intriguing.

Also, look at it from this point: what if you made a mod where you could play as a bystander or a cop? Then the past victims of the shooting would be able to live out a sort of revenge fantasy as they chased Eric and Dylan through the school hallways wielding shotguns and handguns.

Imagine getting to pick up Eric's Hi Point and use it on Dylan as he flees in fear. Or, imagine being that sniper on the roof across the street? You could reenact countless scenarios and possibly put some legends and rumors to rest, if the game map and physics were accurate enough.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98268
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:58 am

radaddio wrote:

Also, look at it from this point: what if you made a mod where you could play as a bystander or a cop?

That'd be a pretty shit game watching a 3 hour intro before getting into the building then everyone is already dead.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 3:40 pm

No, you would enter beforehand and engage Eric And Dylan before the library shootings. Or, you could play as a student who melees a weapon away from E/D and goes on to stop more killings. Remember, they were concerned about getting jumped? They knew that it was a possibility.

Of course, some other types will be fine with mowing down piles of innocent high schoolers.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98268
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 5:37 pm

radaddio wrote:
No, you would enter beforehand and engage Eric And Dylan before the library shootings. Or, you could play as a student who melees a weapon away from E/D and goes on to stop more killings. Remember, they were concerned about getting jumped? They knew that it was a possibility.

Of course, some other types will be fine with mowing down piles of innocent high schoolers.

Yeah, I got you. I was just making light of the poor showing by the cops that day.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97892
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Cops made a poor show, but it was mostly bad procedures, outdated tactics and poor choices made by the superiors. I wouldn't blame the average low ranking cop that day as much.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet   The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Columbine Half-Life mod that got shouted off the Internet
Page 1 of 1