Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mistake in Sue's book

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lol

Contribution Points : 102897
Forum Reputation : 325

Mistake in Sue's book Empty
PostSubject: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 9:29 am

Just like BB...Sue made a mistake with the snowball fight with Eric damaging Brooks windshield. She said it occured in Jan 1998, Dylans junior year

This is a common error. It actually happened in the boys' sophomore year. February 1997.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124184
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:22 pm

That is correct it was in 1997, however in Wayne Harris' notes it occurred Feb 28 1997 (pg 0259234)

Here is the error from Sue's book:

In early January of 1998, Dylan told Tom about his frustration with a couple of kids at school who were “really asking for it.” The kids were freshmen, and Tom resisted the temptation to laugh: Dylan was six feet four inches tall, and a junior. Dylan told us he wanted to get some guys together to confront the boys. Tom and I told him not to give them the satisfaction of a response. I was worried someone would be hurt, and Tom was worried Dylan would embarrass himself by engaging with freshmen.

Dylan could not let it go. Without our knowledge, he and Eric rounded up some friends. They confronted the kids and told them to meet them at a spot away from school, but the younger boys never appeared. Tom and I found out about the planned rumble after the fact. Dylan believed he had handled the situation effectively, but we were upset and told him so. At least, I thought, no one had been hurt.

Later that month, I got a phone call from Judy Brown, the mother of Dylan’s friend Brooks. Brooks and Eric had gotten into a fight at school, and Eric had thrown a snowball at Brooks’s car, damaging the windshield. Judy was furious and launched into a tirade against Eric, which perplexed me. It seemed to me that the boys shared responsibility for the incident, and I didn’t understand her impulse to get involved when they’d resolved it themselves. The ferocity of her hatred for Eric seemed like an overreaction to me.

Not long after the call from Judy, Tom got another call from the school. Four months after his suspension for hacking the locker combinations, Dylan had deliberately scratched the face of someone’s locker with a key. He was given an in-school suspension for a day and owed the school seventy dollars to pay for a new door.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102512
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:47 pm

I don't have the quote to hand but does she say the cameraman in Eric in Columbine (wall of jocks) is Dylan?
I may have misread but just checking if anyone else had noted this part.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

queenfarooq wrote:
I don't have the quote to hand but does she say the cameraman in Eric in Columbine (wall of jocks) is Dylan?
I may have misread but just checking if anyone else had noted this part.

Yes, she does, and she is wrong. She got that from Larkin.

sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

It is here, although she references Ralph Larkin:

Tom and I did not perceive Dylan as being unpopular; he simply had too many friends for us to see him that way. Unfortunately, we did not have the slightest idea what his daily life was really like at school. Larkin cites a video Dylan made. He and a few other boys are walking down a hallway, filming nothing in particular. Four students approach from the opposite direction. One of them, wearing a Columbine Football sweatshirt, drives an elbow into Dylan’s side as he passes, causing him to cry out and the video camera to swing wildly. The athletes laugh, and Dylan’s friends mutter something inaudible. Larkin correctly sums up what’s so chilling, which is that Dylan and his friends continue down the hallway after the hit as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened. “Apparently such behavior was common enough to be accepted as normative,” Larkin writes. This observation was supported by a number of interviews he did with students.

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:25 pm

sororityalpha wrote:

From Comprehending Columbine by Ralph Larkin (pages 109-112):

Dylan Klebold actually videotaped an incident of harassment of himself and Eric. He was holding the camera and taping as he, Eric, and a boy named Mike were walking down a corridor in Columbine High School (Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office 2003). As they walked down the hall, they would ask approaching students, mostly girls, to wave and say hello to the camera, which they did quite willingly. In the middle of the wide corridor down which they were walking was a double archway. The boys were headed toward the right archway. Approaching them from the opposite direction was a
group of four boys; one was quite large, weighing well over 200 pounds, and wore a sweatshirt that said, “ Columbine Football.” Instead of keeping to the right, the four boys moved through the left archway just before Eric, Mike, and Dylan entered it. As the four boys walked by, the one with the football shirt walked to Dylan’s left, and a taller, thinner boy walked to Dylan’s right. In the split second before they passed Dylan, the boy on Dylan’s left raised his left elbow, and the boy on the right raised his right elbow. The video camera spun to the right and Dylan yelled out, “ Aagh.” A short
burst of laughter from the four boys resounded on the soundtrack as they walked away. As Klebold, Harris, and Mike proceeded through the archway, they muttered something to each other; however, voices were low and inaudible. The tape continued for another thirty seconds during which the boys continued walking down the hall as if nothing had happened.

FIGURE 5.1: Hall scene videotaped by Dylan Klebold

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Apparently such behavior was common enough to be accepted as normative. Figure 5.1 contains a sequence of six frames from the video. On the upper left, Mike, in a white shirt, is on the left, and Eric, in the black shirt, is on the right. Between them are the four male students as they approach through the arch to their left. In the frame on the upper right, the boys are passing each other, with the boy in the football shirt on the left, followed by the boy in the red shirt. Notice that as they pass, Eric has lowered his head and moved ahead of Mike. A third boy is on the extreme right. In the middle left frame, the right elbow of the boy on Dylan’s left can be seen as can the right elbow of the boy on his right. Mike is in the middle. The camera begins swinging to the right. In the middle right frame, the camera is pointing down. Mike has turned to his right, and the upraised elbow of the boy on Dylan’s right can be seen. On the bottom left is a blurred frame of the lockers to Dylan’s right, as the camera has turned about sixty-five
degrees to the right before swinging back. To the lower right, Eric and Mike walk toward the doors at the end of the corridor. Conversation continues as if nothing has happened. The boys turn left at the corner at the end of the hallway.

Again, Dylan was not filming.

sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:43 pm

Eric Veik was usually the one filming, so it is more than likely Eric Veik behind the camera.

Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102512
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:44 pm

I thought she'd made this reference.
I remembered the confusion had stemmed from this video with Brooks Brown where it's stated Dylan was filming:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd forgotten Larkin had also made the reference. One of those irritating common mistakes.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:27 pm

You are right, the narrator says Dylan was holding the camera. Then, Brooks says Eric was the one that was elbowed almost knocking the camera out of his hand.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mistake in Sue's book   Mistake in Sue's book Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mistake in Sue's book
Page 1 of 1