Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?

Go down 
+2
Jayhawk80
ThoughtBox
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Empty
PostSubject: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 am

I guess the title is pretty self-explanatory: Have there been any linguistic analysis of the two killers?

By this point, we've seen all sorts of analyses from their personal psychology to the group dynamics of their high school and social circles; but has there been any public account for their language as used in the available writings, tapes, et al.?

Admittedly, I've not had much interest in this gruesome case up until relatively recently; and I probably would drop it all together if I could find material on this- so I'm hoping maybe some of our more expert board members could point me to something I'm overlooking.

Or, perhaps someone has some keen insight about the way they used language together and individually; as well as any strange little idiosyncrasies...

Really anything that rings in your ear about the way they spoke and wrote (without getting too far into the role of armchair psychologist) would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 84046
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 9:00 am

I'm not aware of any specific linguistic analysis of the boys' writings or speech in the academic community; almost all of it has been psychological/mental health related with only cursory snippets of their various writings, mainly from their journals. It sounds like it would be an interesting undertaking.

There may be some older threads of this nature somewhere here in the forum, but I'm not aware of it.

A closer look at Dylan's writings in particular will reveal a LOT of idiosyncrasies in the way he used language (poorly, I might add), and his writings (when you can decipher it) is all over the place. Hopefully, some others can chime in on this interesting thread.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
Jayhawk80

Jayhawk80

Contribution Points : 74189
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 am

As I've been reading (and re-reading) various bits of their writing, I've noticed two things:

1.  Academically, I would say that Dylan was a more skilled writer than Eric.  It's just my opinion, but Dylan's school papers seem more 'readable' to me.  I wouldn't say that Eric was a bad writer, just a bit more stiff and formal than Dylan.  Also, I think Dylan's word choice and spelling/grammar were better.

2. There is a noticeable difference between their school writing and personal writing.  Unsurprisingly, Eric's personal writing (though much of it was intended for an audience or published on the Web) is looser and more *cough* passionate than his school writing.  In Dylan's case, syntax and vocabulary seem to leap out the window in much of his personal writing, which might suggest intoxication and/or an otherwise altered mental state.  It's also possible that Dylan was just writing more expressively for his own purposes, with no idea anyone would ever read it.

I'm interested to see how this thread develops!
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79861
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 12:49 pm

won't be offering much to this thread let alone of any relevance but I can only say Eric had fantastic penmanship.
I would prefer Eric's writing too.

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77620

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 3:05 pm

I preferred Eric's writing as well.
Eric's journal:
-Feels like he's talking to you, the reader
-offers details and explanations
-thorough and more pragmatic
-more expressive of the perceived turmoil around him

Dylan's journal:
-feels more like a reflection of his thoughts rather than explanations to the reader
-scattered and metaphorical at times
-odd syntax (leaves me wondering if he's being metaphorical or if he's seriously delusional)
-more expressive of the turmoil within him

I noticed that they both use the word "zombies" to describe people they didn't like.  

On camera, they use the word "frickin'" a lot.

On camera, I noticed that one of Eric's idiosyncrasies is how he over-pronunciates his words often.  I'm really unsure if this was part of the acting itself or just the way he spoke in general. Some examples are when he says  "Smart-tuh" and "yep-puh" in the Radioactive Clothing video, and when he yells "Dylan, shut up-puh" in a very authoritative voice in the bike video.

Eric's overall language in both writing and speaking feels more commanding, whereas Dylan feels more modest.

Edited to add: When comparing the video of Eric in the cafeteria to videos in which Dylan is involved, Eric's language appears to be more quiet and modest when Dylan is not around (and his body language is different too).  In the videos were Dylan was involved, Eric's language and body language both appear more commanding. Not sure if that is relevant or not.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96299
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:

Edited to add: When comparing the video of Eric in the cafeteria to videos in which Dylan is involved, Eric's language appears to be more quiet and modest when Dylan is not around (and his body language is different too).  In the videos were Dylan was involved, Eric's language and body language both appear more commanding. Not sure if that is relevant or not.

I think it is relevant. In the Eric in Columbine video Eric barely talks at all when he is both with Brandi and with just his male friends. It is mostly Mike taking the lead and talking. Then in the other videos with Dylan he is the "star" and taking center stage.

I think I prefer Dylan's journal. I get confused by his words sometimes but I feel like we are reading his inner thoughts more than an narrative of things that Eric hated etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:
and when he yells "Dylan, shut up-puh" in a very authoritative voice in the bike video.

I see this mistake frequently but that's 100% not Eric saying it.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77620

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Magnaphoria wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:
and when he yells "Dylan, shut up-puh" in a very authoritative voice in the bike video.

I see this mistake frequently but that's 100% not Eric saying it.

Oh, ok....I didn't realize that.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79861
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 5:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"-offers details and explanations
-thorough and more pragmatic"

agreed hence why I prefer his writing. There's something relatable to how thorough he is when he writes. Despite the fact we've established the fact his journal entries may be written for an audience prior to the massacre, based on his schoolwork he's always been pretty detailed with his writing. his sarcastic humor and wit is also an aspect I like.

In terms of the way he talks when you point out his enunciations, I think it's just how his speech is or the fact he kinda has an overbite? Hahah Idk how to explain this but, it's how he talks literally.
Yeah around Dylan or friends he's very commanding but in that video with Brandi he's quiet cuz he's just shy around the girl he liked and Mike was babbling away.

Hectic

Contribution Points : 79205
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

I think it is relevant.  In the Eric in Columbine video Eric barely talks at all when he is both with Brandi and with just his male friends.  It is mostly Mike taking the lead and talking.  Then in the other videos with Dylan he is the "star" and taking center stage.  

I think I prefer Dylan's journal.  I get confused by his words sometimes but I feel like we are reading his inner thoughts more than an narrative of things that Eric hated etc

That's true, but we also have to remember that the videos that he appears with Dylan in, they are acting for school projects. That's why the basement tapes really would reveal so much about how they behaved together without the acting. We obviously know a lot from transcripts, but actually seeing their body language would be much more telling. In the cafeteria videos with Eric, he definitely doesn't seem like someone beaming with confidence and superiority complex. The only time he speaks is when he has something to add to someone else talking/making a joke. That's not the signs of a confident individual.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96299
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 8:43 am

Hectic wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

I think it is relevant.  In the Eric in Columbine video Eric barely talks at all when he is both with Brandi and with just his male friends.  It is mostly Mike taking the lead and talking.  Then in the other videos with Dylan he is the "star" and taking center stage.  

I think I prefer Dylan's journal.  I get confused by his words sometimes but I feel like we are reading his inner thoughts more than an narrative of things that Eric hated etc

That's true, but we also have to remember that the videos that he appears with Dylan in, they are acting for school projects. That's why the basement tapes really would reveal so much about how they behaved together without the acting. We obviously know a lot from transcripts, but actually seeing their body language would be much more telling. In the cafeteria videos with Eric, he definitely doesn't seem like someone beaming with confidence and superiority complex. The only time he speaks is when he has something to add to someone else talking/making a joke. That's not the signs of a confident individual.

Def not. I just wonder and I hate to use this word but how much of the BT is "Posturing". I see that word used a lot by different people that have seen the tapes. I feel like the tapes would show children. Worried about knocking over a coke can...trying to load weapons when they have no idea what they are doing.... I doubt there was any real confidence in them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?   Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Linguistic Analysis of the Two Killers?
Page 1 of 1