Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is the fascination with killers going down?

Go down 
+5
Ligeya
Koltin
Sabratha
Lunkhead McGrath
myshame
9 posters
AuthorMessage
myshame

Contribution Points : 75469
Forum Reputation : 0

Is the fascination with killers going down? Empty
PostSubject: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 am

Video published yesterday. Dave Cullen's speaking there of course. He says that people are less fascinated with killers now.

I think he's pretty right. Of course he's a hypocrite because he covered killers extensively in his book. And in fact he had a special with Oprah that was buried because it focused on the killers too much, supposedly.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76936
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 am

LPorter is going to shit a brick when he sees that video clip.

The pandemic appeared to slow down shootings for awhile but then we had the Boulder retard. Whose name I've forgotten already.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 98308
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:

The pandemic appeared to slow down shootings for awhile but then we had the Boulder retard.  Whose name I've forgotten already.  

Yes, Cullen bashing the no.1 sport in columbiner land. I should start making Cullen pinatas and sell them on etsy, I'll make a killing.

Also, if anyone watching the cullen interview is wondering if his/her speakers are crackling or is it on Cullen's end.... it is on Cullen's end. Trust me.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 105087
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am

Sabratha wrote:
Yes, Cullen bashing the no.1 sport in columbiner land. I should start making Cullen pinatas and sell them on etsy, I'll make a killing.
Maybe make some Ivan piñatas too lol.
Lunkhead McGrath wrote:

The pandemic appeared to slow down shootings for awhile but then we had the Boulder retard.  Whose name I've forgotten already.  
The Perps name is Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa
Also that fuckwit of a "journalist" in the Boulder shooter that streamed the shooting.. His friend kept calling whilst the shooting was still happening and he died, but the livestreamer decided to keep streaming than to actually answer.

And destiny is proving to be absent from my life.
Back to top Go down
Ligeya

Contribution Points : 42924
Forum Reputation : 53

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 8:41 pm

People are less fascinated with killers because there are so many shooting that people just don't care anymore.

QuestionMark likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 2:19 am

Koltin wrote:
Sabratha wrote:

All I know was that he is no longer around. Did he do something specific?

Back to top Go down
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 7:18 am

Sabratha wrote:
Koltin wrote:
Sabratha wrote:

I know Jenn said anyone who was banned by him can come back.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193746
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 10:13 am

Plus the narrative has become the same thing "angry white supremacist who loves Trump" Even if there is no evidence to that theory. No one wants to look at the WHY, just "get rid of guns and white men!" even some True Crime podcasts that cover older shootings are like "oh they were just an incel" Really,Stephen Paddock was an incel...huh....

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 10:23 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
Plus the narrative has become the same thing "angry white supremacist who loves Trump" Even if there is no evidence to that theory. No one wants to look at the WHY, just "get rid of guns and white men!" even some True Crime podcasts that cover older shootings are like "oh they were just an incel" Really,Stephen Paddock was an incel...huh....

Well there were some shootings that unambiguously were done for racist reasons.

Which is a whole lot less interesting to me to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 11:03 am

myshame wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

Well there were some shootings that unambiguously were done for racist reasons.

Which is a whole lot less interesting to me to be honest.

There certainly were. But people sometimes try to put drugs/religion/racism into everything. You will find people who say Columbine was done because of racism Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 105087
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 11:38 am

Sabratha wrote:
Koltin wrote:
Sabratha wrote:

He was just being a dickhead as usual, ended up getting demoted and his account was locked.

johncena likes this post

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 152262
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 2:24 am

Quote :

Meh. Cullen is a smarmy prick and a cynical opportunist, but TV nooz is a cesspool of bullshit and he's no worse than any other con artist. There's no sense in wasting time thinking about that turd.

Seeing the Brandon Tarrant footage was a real eye-opener for me. I watched it over and over and over again, especially the part where he goes up to a lady moaning "Help me! Help me!" and then shoots her in the head. I realized that, after watching all those people die, I had absolutely no interest in learning about Tarrant's motives. Suffice it to say that somehow, somewhere, he went wrong. Maybe it was something that someone or something did to him; maybe it was something that he did, or didn't do; maybe he was born with some kind of pathology, or at least a susceptibility to some kind of mental disorder. Who knows? And, ultimately, what is the point of trying to figure it out?

Writing Eric off as a crazy psycho is just a little too neat and tidy for me, and trying to use Dylan's depression to get him off the hook is ridiculous. But I can't disagree with the argument that both boys were pathologically fucked in the head. I don't know what happened to them, or whether one was better off than the other, or whether either or both of them could have been saved. I would like to think that both of them were retrievable up until the moment that they fired the first shots. But we'll never know.

At any rate, the world is full of stupid NPCs, and no doubt many of them will continue to regard Cullen as the ultimate authority on Columbine. But there will always be some smart, curious, inquisitive people who are willing to dig a little deeper. Those are the ones I choose to focus on. Let Cullen preach his bullshit to the drooling morons.

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 3:52 am

LPorter101 wrote:
Seeing the Brandon Tarrant footage was a real eye-opener for me. I watched it over and over and over again, especially the part where he goes up to a lady moaning "Help me! Help me!" and then shoots her in the head. I realized that, after watching all those people die, I had absolutely no interest in learning about Tarrant's motives. Suffice it to say that somehow, somewhere, he went wrong. Maybe it was something that someone or something did to him; maybe it was something that he did, or didn't do; maybe he was born with some kind of pathology, or at least a susceptibility to some kind of mental disorder. Who knows? And, ultimately, what is the point of trying to figure it out?

Well if we wanted an example of clear racist-terrorism, that would be it. I didn't have the emotional reaction to it that you had (has nothing to do with my views on race, immigration, religion or anything of that sort. I'm just wired in a way that violent content neither excites me, nor disturbs me, nor turns me on.

As for what is the point of figuring it out? I'd say the main points of expanding psychology is a science in terms of crime would be prediction and prevention. Know who the potential perps are, who should be watched, how to educate potential victims and last but not least: Nip future offenders in the bud before they carry the attack out.

At this point we are still very far from predicting and preventing all attacks. But I think we are in a better place than we were in 1999.

LPorter101 wrote:
Writing Eric off as a crazy psycho is just a little too neat and tidy for me, and trying to use Dylan's depression to get him off the hook is ridiculous. But I can't disagree with the argument that both boys were pathologically fucked in the head. I don't know what happened to them, or whether one was better off than the other, or whether either or both of them could have been saved. I would like to think that both of them were retrievable up until the moment that they fired the first shots. But we'll never know.

I think we had this conversation a dozen times across the years. Certainly it is not an easy "single-factor" psychological explanation, but their mental health does appear to be the main issue and the root cause.

If I would have to point to a root cause for Columbine (or at least the first domino that fell) it would be Dylan's depression. It all started from that.

However, identifying the root cause alone in Columbine isn't really the interesting part. What is most interesting is what happened between that and the shooting. How something as mundane and commonplace as a teen's depression ended in a two-perpetrator mass shooting and planned bombing. That's the big one for me.

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120878
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 11:40 am

Ligeya wrote:
People are less fascinated with killers because there are so many shooting that people just don't care anymore.

I find it interesting that despite both media attention and public interest declining to the point where double digit body counts aren't given much thought, we're still seeing a dramatic rise in the number of attacks. It makes the insistence - as shown in the video of the OP - that rampage killers do this act only or largely for attention all the more hollow.

Ligeya likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Sabratha wrote:
You will find people who say Columbine was done because of racism Rolling Eyes

Happened a few months ago on twitter lol.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 pm

morgenroede wrote:
Sabratha wrote:

I never found out about this ... what idiocy .. unfortunately these people will never be absent.

I also remember the people who said that columbine was a product of MK ultra and it was a whole government plan to promote gun control or something like that. Oh and how can I forget that Dylan and Eric were mentally controlled by some kind of power that Obama had, I can't quite remember what that was like. scratch
Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 61414
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 7:13 pm

There are still people who believe that Columbine was done as an attack against religion. On the anniversary this year, I saw someone retweeting a memorial post by saying that Eric and Dylan were atheists who hated Christians and killed Rachel Scott and Cassie Bernall solely on the fact that they were religious.
There is also a theory that the creators of South Park are Eric and Dylan or something and the theory that during their arrests Eric and Dylan were sexually assaulted by a police chief which led them to carry out the shooting. Crazy theories and people who are not educated enough on the subject will never go away.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 7:36 pm

margaflor wrote:
I also remember the people who said that columbine was a product of MK ultra and it was a whole government plan to promote gun control or something like that. Oh and how can I forget that Dylan and Eric were mentally controlled by some kind of power that Obama had, I can't quite remember what that was like. scratch

Wait, do you mean it was not a product of MK-Ultra? You have just shattered my whole world. What if everything I believe is a lie? What if the Earth is not flat and vaccines don’t cause autism? Guess at least the Kalergi plan must be real...

Jokes aside, I think I’d prefer sincerely misguided conspiracy theorists to people who deliberately twist facts to fit their political agenda. The twitter user in my screenshot is almost certainly one of the latter.

Last edited by morgenroede on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 7:45 pm

morgenroede wrote:
margaflor wrote:

Wait, do you mean it was not a product of MK-Ultra? You have just shattered my whole world. What if everything I believe is a lie? What if Earth is not flat and vaccines don’t cause autism? Guess at least the Kalergi plan must be real...

Jokes aside, I think I’d prefer sincerely misguided conspiracy theorists to people who deliberately twist facts to fit their political agenda. The twitter user in my screenshot is almost certainly one of the latter.

I agree, I think that denying that dylan and eric were bullied is already screw up in a very big way, It is on the same level as saying that Eric and Dylan did it to praise Hitler and wanted to imitate the holocaust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 7:53 pm

margaflor wrote:
I agree, I think that denying that dylan and eric were bullied is already screw up in a very big way, It is on the same level as saying that Eric and Dylan did it to praise Hitler and wanted to imitate the holocaust.

Killing a few completely random people is... not the best way to imitate the Holocaust, if you ask me. Roll

i'm not saying that they should’ve killed more
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Morgenroede wrote:
margaflor wrote:
Estoy de acuerdo, creo que negar que dylan y eric fueron intimidados ya es una cagada a lo grande. Está al mismo nivel que decir que Eric y Dylan lo hicieron para alabar a Hitler y querían imitar el holocausto.

Matar a algunas personas completamente al azar no es ... si me preguntas, no es la mejor manera de imitar el Holocausto. Roll

no estoy diciendo que debieron haber matado más

Totally ... or murdering random people is the same as crashing planes in tower and murdering dozens of people ... well I know Dylan and Eric were idiots but not on that level
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:21 pm

margaflor wrote:
Totally ... or murdering random people is the same as crashing planes in tower and murdering dozens of people ... well I know Dylan and Eric were idiots but not on that level

Well, they hoped to kill 300 people with the bombs they had never tested, but at least they realized that their kill count isn’t going to be anywhere close to what it would be for 9/11.

On a side note, I’m a tiny bit sad that people consider politically motivated mass killers to be simple and uninteresting.

Last edited by morgenroede on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:25 pm

morgenroede wrote:
Sabratha wrote:

I don't feel too bad about this because Eric and Dylan were racists.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:42 pm

myshame wrote:
I don't feel too bad about this because Eric and Dylan were racists.

I doubt I would really feel bad for Eric and Dylan even if the rumor went that they were furry pedophiles from outer space. But you know what I hate?

Quote :
people who deliberately twist facts to fit their political agenda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:58 pm

morgenroede wrote:
margaflor wrote:

Well, they hoped to kill 300 people with the bombs they have never tested, but at least they realized that their kill count isn’t going to be anywhere close to what it would be for 9/11.

On a side note, I’m a tiny bit sad that people consider politically motivated mass killers to be simple and uninteresting.

Yes, Dylan and Eric were racists but I don't think by much that that was the main target as in other attacks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 pm

margaflor wrote:
Yes, Dylan and Eric were racists but I don't think by much that that was the main target as in other attacks.

Were they motivated by racism, they would have targeted either a primarily non-white school/church/etc. or something like a leftist youth camp.

Also, actual racists usually don’t want to sound edgy and hateful. They usually don’t believe themselves to be hateful either.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am

morgenroede wrote:
margaflor wrote:

Were they motivated by racism, they would have targeted either a primarily non-white school/church/etc. or something like a leftist youth camp.

Also, actual racists usually don’t want to sound edgy and hateful. They usually don’t believe themselves to be hateful either.
E&D were racists, but that doesn't automatically make it a race-motivated crime. If a drunk driver runs into a random crowd, that doesn't make it a racist crime, (even if the driver is racist like hell)

Of 13 columbine dead only 1 was black, of the 24 wounded IIRc only one was asian.

Doesn't look like a racist attack to me.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 pm

I highly doubt they ever had any interest in carrying out a race-motivated crime. Although Eric could have grown into a “real” (i.e. ideologically committed) racist later in life and then maybe he’d want to target specifically non-whites.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the fascination with killers going down?   Is the fascination with killers going down? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the fascination with killers going down?
Page 1 of 1