Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)

Go down 
+2
shades
Pipistrelle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pipistrelle

Pipistrelle

Contribution Points : 72163
Forum Reputation : 0

Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Empty
PostSubject: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am

For the sake of clarity, I use the term "fine art" here to specifically refer to art shown in a gallery setting, that has been professionally curated. Just wanted to separate the subject from simply "art" which might also denote casual work shared between people on the internet.

As a bit of a preface, I hail from the NYC area and studied art here in college. I recently learned that a very tiny gallery in Manhattan’s West Village is showing an exhibition called “Columbine Cafeteria”. After diving back into research in the past few moths and being morbidly curious about the infamous Columbine tag on Tumblr, I sifted through all the flower crown edits and self-insert fanfiction to see that one of the more serious bloggers had posted about this exhibition. And just my luck that it was being shown a quick train ride away and was still open to the public!

Articles here will do a more interesting job of explaining it than I do:

[The Creator's Project]

[Huffington Post]

[W Magazine]

In summary: 26-year-old artist Bunny Rogers became fascinated with Columbine while she was in college attending art school. Like many of us, she delved deep into the evidence and discussions about the psychological aspects of the case. Later, she became especially fascinated with how (mostly) teenage girls have in the years since formed bizarre romantic obsessions with E&D. This piece is a very personal memorial in which she frames the shared trauma of the massacre with sentimental images from her own young life, including music she holds dear, and the portrayal of characters from an early 2000’s MTV cartoon, Clone High. Overall, it is a somber commentary on a number of cultural issues, mainly those that affect youth. It also explores how strongly furniture can embody an emotion or memory. The piece is a “sequel” to another that she did in 2014, called Columbine Library. Unfortunately this exhibit was only shown at a gallery in Berlin, so a little too far for me to have visited it.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE GALLERY

The exhibit was more powerful than I thought it’d be. I went in knowing it’d be pretty abstract and esoteric. But hey, here was another young artist who understood how spellbinding this event was. It was just too much of a coincidence that this show came into focus just as I was delving back into the case; I had to see it. When I arrived at the gallery on a Saturday afternoon, I was surprised to find myself as the only one there. The harsh fluorescent light, echoing, cold space, and sad piano soundtrack were a stark contrast to the warm sunny cityscape from which I had arrived. The space was small, but as I rounded the corner to see the replica cafeteria table (the chairs were identical replicas, but the table was clearly altered in proportion for the piece), a stark reality pierced through me. It was very disturbing and emotional to see. I circled it numerous times, ran a finger quickly over a chair to feel its texture, made myself eye-level with the table surface, got down on the ground to look at the underside, imagining what it might be like to hide under. This part of the room had a stench of musty, sour red wine, as bucket full of the stuff sat nearby, with a smear across the floor leading to a red-stained mop. These were the most striking objects. There were other objects placed around that you can see in pictures or read about, too many more to list and describe in one post. Most of these other objects are less obviously representative of Columbine.

Not to sound like a “special snowflake” but I think I really gained an appreciation of the Rogers’ intentions here because I too became initially interested in Columbine at a strangely young age and conflated it inappropriately with some of my other interests at the time. I have to wonder how other everyday art enthusiasts and people feel about the piece, if Rogers’ feelings came across as clearly? Did people find it impossible to relate or understand and therefore find it insensitive? I’m very glad I had the privilege of exploring the space alone, but I was curious about how others may have interacted.

Most importantly, to you all, as people who invest so much time in this case, what do you think of these kinds of highly artistic takes on Columbine? Are they exploitative? Weird? Harmful? Necessary? Beautiful? Is this only acceptable to do because so much time has passed since the massacre? I’d love to get some other perspectives.

For anyone who will be in the area, the exhibition is running until Saturday, June 25th and is free for any visitors! Gallery site with additional pictures:
[The Greenspon Gallery]

MY PHOTOS FROM THE VISIT:

This was basically the entire space except for an alcove around the corner.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The wardrobe is walled off with bulletproof glass. The clothes inside all hand-made by the artist

The pattern on the fabric inside is imprinted with the image of the Pokemon Gothitelle. Seemed like one of the more random things...

Chairs that have been partly burned

Inside the alcove (my camera distorted the color of the video) an animation of one of the Clone High characters playing sad piano music in a CGI Columbine cafeteria. Paper snow and electric candles cover the floor

The artist statement and some excerpts, in a very preteen-esque book. It's essentially pages of poetry, punctuated with CGI-looking illustrations of the cafeteria tables (couldn't get clear pictures of those, sorry!)

Back to top Go down
Pipistrelle

Pipistrelle

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 am

BONUS STORY!

Not three blocks away from the gallery, I paused to check my map (the criss-crossing streets and alleys of downtown Manhattan can get confusing real quick). A boy who looked to be no older than his early 20’s crossed my path, chatting happily with a female companion. Friends, I shit you not: he had grown out, wavy, disheveled blond hair, and a black baseball hat worn backwards that made said hair poof out at the sides. The hat had a reddish emblem on the front. He even had the strong chin and larger-than-normal, slightly hooked nose. Clear as day, from a few feet away, I saw him from his side profile. I must’ve done a quadruple-take. It would have been like seeing a ghost if not for this young man’s skateboard in tow and the fact that he couldn’t have been over 5’5 or so in height. With my jaw hanging open, I debated trying to sneak a picture, but figured that would be far too invasive. I stared at the back of his head for another block and we went in opposite directions. The universe can be so absurd sometimes. Or this hobby is just getting the better of me Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79861
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 1:04 am

Thank you for this post. I happened to come across this on Tumblr aswell. Very clever, minimalist take on this infamous case. I thought it was pretty cool.

Pipistrelle wrote:
In summary: 26-year-old artist Bunny Rogers became fascinated with Columbine while she was in college attending art school. Like many of us, she delved deep into the evidence and discussions about the psychological aspects of the case. Later, she became especially fascinated with how (mostly) teenage girls have in the years since formed bizarre romantic obsessions with E&D. This piece is a very personal memorial in which she frames the shared trauma of the massacre with sentimental images from her own young life, including music she holds dear, and the portrayal of characters from an early 2000’s MTV cartoon, Clone High. Overall, it is a somber commentary on a number of cultural issues, mainly those that affect youth. It also explores how strongly furniture can embody an emotion or memory. The piece is a “sequel” to another that she did in 2014, called Columbine Library. Unfortunately this exhibit was only shown at a gallery in Berlin, so a little too far for me to have visited it.

Right? The melting cafeteria chair explains a million things in just one look. Like a damage of mundane innocence you know what I mean? I thought that it was an amazing, nostalgic trip back to the 90s-early 2000s and a clever tie to Columbine, because Columbine basically changed and shaped teenage-school-life culture drastically and it's one of the few memories we go back to when reminiscing growing up.
I wish I was more artistically inclined to contribute something of some sort to my interest in the case and the boys, but all I can do is be a spectator and appreciate what people can do these days.

Pipistrelle wrote:
Most importantly, to you all, as people who invest so much time in this case, what do you think of these kinds of highly artistic takes on Columbine? Are they exploitative? Weird? Harmful? Necessary? Beautiful? Is this only acceptable to do because so much time has passed since the massacre? I’d love to get some other perspectives.

For me, I think that it depends on the piece firstly. I appreciate overall if someone took the time to make fine art or, music, a film, anything based on Columbine. Hopefully it's something good that they're offering or something we can read between the lines to learn cause nowadays there's a couple of tasteless stuff put out that's downright cringeworthy. But if it's good, why not? I'm always open to art, and such as this one, infact, makes me cry a little. It gives me hope there's more young artists out there who could make a change and give us something to be in awe of. I wouldn't think it's only acceptable to do since time has passed, I mean most of the time people wouldn't dare touch a delicate situation at all cause actual people died, but if one knows how to do it right and respectfully then I think it's good to go.

Also, really cool you reside in NYC! I wish I could see it for myself I would do anything to be there in person right now.

shades

Contribution Points : 79861
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 am

Pipistrelle wrote:
BONUS STORY!

Not three blocks away from the gallery, I paused to check my map (the criss-crossing streets and alleys of downtown Manhattan can get confusing real quick). A boy who looked to be no older than his early 20’s crossed my path, chatting happily with a female companion. Friends, I shit you not: he had grown out, wavy, disheveled blond hair, and a black baseball hat worn backwards that made said hair poof out at the sides. The hat had a reddish emblem on the front. He even had the strong chin and larger-than-normal, slightly hooked nose. Clear as day, from a few feet away, I saw him from his side profile. I must’ve done a quadruple-take. It would have been like seeing a ghost if not for this young man’s skateboard in tow and the fact that he couldn’t have been over 5’5 or so in height. With my jaw hanging open, I debated trying to sneak a picture, but figured that would be far too invasive. I stared at the back of his head for another block and we went in opposite directions. The universe can be so absurd sometimes. Or this hobby is just getting the better of me Rolling Eyes

Hahaha, I get you. I think it's just your subconscious mind. Someone on this thread introduced me to this phenomenon, called Baader Meinhof. I think that's what happened. Something like that happened to me before, in this case it was an Eric lookalike in library. Geeeez when I couldn't stop staring. Sometimes I think too that in some spiritual sense perhaps their wandering soul is paying those on earth a quick visit in a re-incarnating sense and then they just disappear.

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 2:15 am

I read about this a few days ago and forgot to post - thanks for sharing.

Personally, I don't get it myself but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you get chance to see the previous display 'Columbine Library'?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96299
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 8:26 am

Wow! I wish I lived closer so I could go see it! Thanks for the photos! I never ever venture on tumblr so I had never heard of this!

PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96691
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Eh.I appreciate fine art and all kinds and forms of art but I find the art created by people and shared among themselves to be more evocative and evoke more emotion than this at least for me.
I also don't agree that an obsession with E&D is bizarre,at least not always.Seems kinda stereotypical but not that surprising.I do appreciate the intent to memorialize the event.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for checking out the show. I am really touched by your thoughtful comments. It means a lot to even be on your radar. The art world in which my stuff usually gets circulated can be isolating and make me feel alone in what I'm doing. I grew up in online communities making artwork so it has been a weird ride for me to move into gallery settings. When articles like the ones you posted come out, you don't really get to decide what they write. I definitely don't think obsessions with E&D are bizarre nor did I ever separate myself from the "fans" these articles hold up as odd wonders. I'm so glad that people that have felt about Columbine the same way I have went out of their way to see the show or look at pics... I am honored...

Sincerely,
Bunny
Back to top Go down
lilith

lilith

Contribution Points : 73325

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 am

wow, thanks for commenting on this board! i really really love your work!

Pipistrelle

Pipistrelle

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 11:26 am

muffysummers wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for checking out the show.  I am really touched by your thoughtful comments.  It means a lot to even be on your radar.  The art world in which my stuff usually gets circulated can be isolating and make me feel alone in what I'm doing.  I grew up in online communities making artwork so it has been a weird ride for me to move into gallery settings.  When articles like the ones you posted come out, you don't really get to decide what they write.  I definitely don't think obsessions with E&D are bizarre nor did I ever separate myself from the "fans" these articles hold up as odd wonders.  I'm so glad that people that have felt about Columbine the same way I have went out of their way to see the show or look at pics...  I am honored...

Sincerely,
Bunny

Oh my gosh, this is amazing and so unexpected!! Bunny, thank you so, so much for posting and sharing your perspective, and an even bigger 'thank you' for creating this moving piece. I'm glad you could find some like-minded and appreciative souls here! (I am, however, now more than a little self-conscious about this write up!!  Embarassed )

PaintItBlack wrote:
I also don't agree that an obsession with E&D is bizarre,at least not always.Seems kinda stereotypical but not that surprising.
Quote :
I definitely don't think obsessions with E&D are bizarre nor did I ever separate myself from the "fans" these articles hold up as odd wonders.

Since the summary was, in all fairness, my own wording, please forgive my phrasing there. I didn't mean to suggest that I or Bunny personally found these attractions/obsessions "bizarre". Speaking for myself, having carried an interest in the case for so long, I feel as though I do very much understand the place that these feelings might come from. I only use the word "bizarre" since that's the connotation I assumed most uninitiated people might go to when they first learn about the existence of such fandoms. I hope I didn't offend there!

Draw_It_White wrote:
Did you get chance to see the previous display 'Columbine Library'?

Unfortunately, I did not. Columbine Library showed in 2014 and only at a gallery in Berlin, to my knowledge. I didn't learn about it's existence until this year when I was looking into this piece.

liquorvamp wrote:
Right? The melting cafeteria chair explains a million things in just one look. Like a damage of mundane innocence you know what I mean? I thought that it was an amazing, nostalgic trip back to the 90s-early 2000s and a clever tie to Columbine, because Columbine basically changed and shaped teenage-school-life culture drastically and it's one of the few memories we go back to when reminiscing growing up.
I wish I was more artistically inclined to contribute something of some sort to my interest in the case and the boys, but all I can do is be a spectator and appreciate what people can do these days.

To your first part, absolutely! I loved the whole show, but thought that Bunny's point about furniture came across beautifully. It's incredible how much power that simple distorted image holds. Part of the reason I was so shaken (in the way that impactful art tends to do) is because when I saw the table/chairs, I had an instant, involuntary realization that "this is the closest I'm ever going to get to feeling those moments". Even if I ever go see the memorial in CO, I imagine it would carry a very separate set of feelings because, rightfully so, a memorial is not necessarily there for you experience the event, it's there to heal from it.

To incorporate [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 's point about personal shared art being more emotional: to each their own of course! I certainly don't want to condescend to artists who are inspired by Columbine who are limited to sharing over the internet; I too used to make similarly inspired drawings that maybe only one or two other people ever saw. However, I will say that, to me, art you interact with and experience physically is such a world away, that it's almost its own category. I only wish that everyone could have seen this in person and had their own encounters with objects, hear the music, and come out with his/her unique conclusion. Photos definitely don't do it justice.  

As to the second part, spectators and appreciators are just as important! I believe the bulk of the artistic experience (at least fine art) is how others interpret it. Since art is usually meant to "affect" in some way, that's what it all comes down to. Thank you also for your insights as to art of this nature, I agree completely!

liquorvamp wrote:
Hahaha, I get you. I think it's just your subconscious mind. Someone on this thread introduced me to this phenomenon, called Baader Meinhof. I think that's what happened. Something like that happened to me before, in this case it was an Eric lookalike in library. Geeeez when I couldn't stop staring. Sometimes I think too that in some spiritual sense perhaps their wandering soul is paying those on earth a quick visit in a re-incarnating sense and then they just disappear.

Lol, well, glad there's a name for it at least! I'm just surprised it hadn't happened sooner!
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96691
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Pipistrelle wrote:
muffysummers wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for checking out the show.  I am really touched by your thoughtful comments.  It means a lot to even be on your radar.  The art world in which my stuff usually gets circulated can be isolating and make me feel alone in what I'm doing.  I grew up in online communities making artwork so it has been a weird ride for me to move into gallery settings.  When articles like the ones you posted come out, you don't really get to decide what they write.  I definitely don't think obsessions with E&D are bizarre nor did I ever separate myself from the "fans" these articles hold up as odd wonders.  I'm so glad that people that have felt about Columbine the same way I have went out of their way to see the show or look at pics...  I am honored...

Sincerely,
Bunny

Oh my gosh, this is amazing and so unexpected!! Bunny, thank you so, so much for posting and sharing your perspective, and an even bigger 'thank you' for creating this moving piece. I'm glad you could find some like-minded and appreciative souls here! (I am, however, now more than a little self-conscious about this write up!!  Embarassed )

PaintItBlack wrote:
I also don't agree that an obsession with E&D is bizarre,at least not always.Seems kinda stereotypical but not that surprising.
Quote :
I definitely don't think obsessions with E&D are bizarre nor did I ever separate myself from the "fans" these articles hold up as odd wonders.

Since the summary was, in all fairness, my own wording, please forgive my phrasing there. I didn't mean to suggest that I or Bunny personally found these attractions/obsessions "bizarre". Speaking for myself, having carried an interest in the case for so long, I feel as though I do very much understand the place that these feelings might come from. I only use the word "bizarre" since that's the connotation I assumed most uninitiated people might go to when they first learn about the existence of such fandoms. I hope I didn't offend there!

Draw_It_White wrote:
Did you get chance to see the previous display 'Columbine Library'?

Unfortunately, I did not. Columbine Library showed in 2014 and only at a gallery in Berlin, to my knowledge. I didn't learn about it's existence until this year when I was looking into this piece.

liquorvamp wrote:

To your first part, absolutely! I loved the whole show, but thought that Bunny's point about furniture came across beautifully. It's incredible how much power that simple distorted image holds. Part of the reason I was so shaken (in the way that impactful art tends to do) is because when I saw the table/chairs, I had an instant, involuntary realization that "this is the closest I'm ever going to get to feeling those moments". Even if I ever go see the memorial in CO, I imagine it would carry a very separate set of feelings because, rightfully so, a memorial is not necessarily there for you experience the event, it's there to heal from it.

To incorporate [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 's point about personal shared art being more emotional: to each their own of course! I certainly don't want to condescend to artists who are inspired by Columbine who are limited to sharing over the internet; I too used to make similarly inspired drawings that maybe only one or two other people ever saw. However, I will say that, to me, art you interact with and experience physically is such a world away, that it's almost its own category. I only wish that everyone could have seen this in person and had their own encounters with objects, hear the music, and come out with his/her unique conclusion. Photos definitely don't do it justice.  

As to the second part, spectators and appreciators are just as important! I believe the bulk of the artistic experience (at least fine art) is how others interpret it. Since art is usually meant to "affect" in some way, that's what it all comes down to. Thank you also for your insights as to art of this nature, I agree completely!

liquorvamp wrote:

Lol, well, glad there's a name for it at least! I'm just surprised it hadn't happened sooner!

Pipistrelle,
That's okay.As a long time Columbiner I am just very sensitive to such things because I feel there are a lot of untrue stereotypes ad misunderstandings out there about the majority of us.

I appreciate that Miss Summers took the time to come here and speak about her work.I hope that it didn't seem like I was impugning her or her work because that was not my intent.She is obviously a talented and creative artist.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)   Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine as an Inspiration for Fine Art? (with Photos; Long Post)
Page 1 of 1