Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?

Go down 
+2
PaintItBlack
anonacc489
6 posters
AuthorMessage
anonacc489

Contribution Points : 75041
Forum Reputation : 0

How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Empty
PostSubject: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 pm

With all the fascination with violence, guns, and school shootings, I'm really surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

How soon do you think we'll see something like "OJ.: Made in America", only for Columbine? For those of you who don't know, OJ.: Made in America is a dramatic retelling of the OJ Simpson case. I can see it happening for Columbine.

I think Columbine related media is still probably a very taboo subject, but maybe sometime in say, 5-10 more years, as it begins to become more and more "legendary" if you will and the mystery surrounding it increases, we'll probably start to see something come of it. I know it's been like 17 years now, but it STILL feels too soon.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 97066
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 pm

If an eventual movie would be based even slightly on the works of Dave Cullen,I hope never.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 80236
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 pm

I would say that Columbine has reached that sensational level, definitely has, and infact referenced more than O.J Simpson, however, I don't think they would make a proper legit Columbine film or dramatic, Hollywood-touch docu like they did for simpson's case. I think I've said here before if they wanted to it would have been done for now. IDK why but I think it's still too real and taboo a case to touch or remake. The only thing we can hold on to for a depiction of Columbine is the various TV episodes certain shows have made inspired by the case.

Plus I think it would take alot of re-digging of evidence, contacting the families for permission to use victims' stories in the film, trying to make a thorough picture with EVERYTHING we know about Columbine from scratch. Also the boys have long been deceased, O.J is still alive and was in the Hollywood-Entertainment scene for awhile now so his murder was EVERYTHING the media needed back then to dramatise.

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96674
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 8:28 am

I think there is also just so much that would be missing if they made a movie. Jeffco is still hiding evidence and until it is released a lot of it is speculation. And one person's thoughts may not be another's so then we may get a movie that no one agrees with

slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105913
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 8:34 pm

I can kind of see something like that happening, but I also realize there isn't really anything new that people don't know or haven't seen. You can see every documentary / movie about Columbine in a few clicks on youtube. The fact is to us Columbiners, it stays fresh with us being on the board having daily discussions but in reality its been almost 20 years, and aside from the very small list of things not released (or won't ever be), its really a shut case so to speak. You can even get that feeling in the forum, all old topics are getting bumped to try and keep discussions going on, because frankly most everything has been said or talked about. OJ has gotten stale by the endless amounts of shows and documentary's, so I hope for maybe one good movie with a nice budget or something, and I'm even iffy on that.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 9:56 pm

In 2012, it was announced that Lifetime was going to make a movie based on Cullen's book.There was an outcry from people online and a petition started against it but I'd say what really stopped it was the outcry from people like Rachel Scott's sisters and Anne Marie Hochholter and others in Littleton.
I hope the film will never be made but I'm sure Cullen would push for it to be if he could so I wouldn't rule it out forever.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Damn. I mean, a movie based on Cullenbine book would suck, but if it were based on actual research done by the writers, then it could be good. Kinda annoying that strangers are against it (people who never knew the victims and only know about it through the news). Tut tut, pretend to care, fill your good deed quota.

Anyway, I watched one indie film loosely based on Columbine called April Showers. It was really bad. Didn't expect much anyway. Don't recommend it unless you're looking for something that says it's related to Columbine but really has nothing to do with it.
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105913
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:49 pm

QuestionMarkKid wrote:
Damn.  I mean, a movie based on Cullenbine book would suck, but if it were based on actual research done by the writers, then it could be good.  Kinda annoying that strangers are against it (people who never knew the victims and only know about it through the news).  Tut tut, pretend to care, fill your good deed quota.

Anyway, I watched one indie film loosely based on Columbine called April Showers.  It was really bad.  Didn't expect much anyway.  Don't recommend it unless you're looking for something that says it's related to Columbine but really has nothing to do with it.

Most are bad, and seeing how much details we all know here, it's going to be annoying when they mess up obvious things, that "average" watchers wouldn't realize.
If anything they need to come here with any list of questions they had. Users here could answer them in great detail.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 1:32 am

QuestionMarkKid wrote:
Damn.  I mean, a movie based on Cullenbine book would suck, but if it were based on actual research done by the writers, then it could be good.  Kinda annoying that strangers are against it (people who never knew the victims and only know about it through the news).  Tut tut, pretend to care, fill your good deed quota.

Anyway, I watched one indie film loosely based on Columbine called April Showers.  It was really bad.  Didn't expect much anyway.  Don't recommend it unless you're looking for something that says it's related to Columbine but really has nothing to do with it.

I don't think that strangers objected to a Columbine movie being made.They objected to a movie being made that used Cullen as a source.

Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98518
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 4:08 am

Wasn't April Showers written and directed by a Columbine survivor? If people are unhappy with that then Indoubt anyone else will have much luck. That said, I'm fairly sure it wasn't anything like it on purpose - I've not seen it for years. Wasn't there just one shooter in April Showers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 4:18 am

PaintItBlack, Lol.  I wish the general public knew the inaccuracies of Cullenbine, but it's got 4.2 on GoodReads. Laughing I really think it's as simple as people being offended.  Of course, that's completely understandable for the victims and their families, but randoms tend to jump on the bandwagon, saving the world from manufactured threat.

But yeah, main issue would be how wrong it would inevitably end up.  Always grinds my gears when the users on a forum know way more about a topic than the people in charge.  Happens all the time at a public transit forum I frequent.  If they were put in charge of a project, it would be at least 10x better than anything the officials come up with.  Just an example, but seems to happen all the time.

Draw_It_White, Yep, just looked it up again and the director Andrew Robinson was a survivor.  I saw it a few months ago, and there were definite similarities, such as a teacher who bled to death.  The school was also in a similar location to CHS, and they jumped over the fence.  I don't recall much else—it was rather hard to follow, if I'm honest.  Oh, shooter's name is Ben Harris.  Dylan's middle name was Bennet.  Shooter was also involved in theatre production, and the school's name was Jefferson High.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?   How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How long until Columbine gets the OJ Simpson treatment?
Page 1 of 1