Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Empty
PostSubject: WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine   WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is an interesting article that discusses how Dave Sanders' death held an important lesson for medical response teams and the importance of the tourniquet.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine   WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 11:17 am

I wonder if he would have lived if they had done this. I think probably not just because of how long it was. The kids did try to make a tourniquet but probably didn't know the proper way to do so.

3 hours losing blood is such a long time.

shades

shades

Contribution Points : 80011
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine   WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm just thankful that he had that group of kids by his side so he wouldn't be alone or afraid, and they kept talking to him, showing pictures of his family and getting him to calm down. God those kids were heroes for the day and I can't imagine acting like them when someone is bleeding and potentially dying in my arms.

PostSubject: Re: WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine   WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I wonder if he would have lived if they had done this.  I think probably not just because of how long it was.  The kids did try to make a tourniquet but probably didn't know the proper way to do so.

3 hours losing blood is such a long time.

Good point. Even if the kids had known how to properly apply one, 3 hours seems too long to overcome.

ultraviolencelv, I agree with you. The kids calming him down probably played a huge role in how long he did live. I can't imagine what it must've been like in their shoes.
Back to top Go down
spinvault

spinvault

Contribution Points : 73603
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine   WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 2:21 pm

The kids did their best, but just had basic first aid knowledge and few medical supplies. Mr. Sanders was still alive when the SWAT teams took the kids out of the bulding, and many did not learn of his death till the next day.They were unsung heroes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine   WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WaPo article talks about medical response and the lesson from Columbine
Page 1 of 1