Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Therewereonlyvictims

PostSubject: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I could never relate to either to be honest. When Columbine happened I, like just everybody, thought it was a case of them being bullied daily and rejected by everybody to the point where they just blew up one day.

See, if I were in their shoes and I was a ticking time bomb seeking revenge, I wouldn't randomly attack a bunch of innocent sophomore nerds in a library who I barely know. Like if I were in Eric's shoes, I would have actually gone after the jocks who bullied me and the people who shunned me like that one girl with the Rammstein sticker who never called him and he saw at the prom with her date or whatever, well I would have 86ed her date when it went down and the girl who humiliated him when he asked her to prom, yeah it would have been curtains for her.

But I guess because Columbine's such a huge school and some people might not even be on campus while it was happening, you couldn't execute that kinda plan to perfection. But I also wouldn't have been laughing and making fun of people during the whole thing. I probably would have been tearful and emotional.

You know what I mean? I feel that most people would have had similar plans to mine if we were homicidal maniacs seeking revenge, but I just can't relate to anything those guys were feeling. Their fascination with the massacre reminds me of like some autistic kid who just stays fixated on one idea for a very long period of time and ceases his ability to think about or feel anything else.

Do you feel me on this? There are some people you can relate to, but I feel that these two were on completely different wavelengths from any way I've ever felt.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
vodkasauce

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 am

I can say that I relate to many little things with both boys and some major things with Dylan. I can relate to feeling like an outcast, liking different things then what is the norm at the time, etc.

I was in seventh grade when Columbine happened. I liked rock music, as opposed to the standard rap that was popular in my Catholic school in the South Bronx, I played way too many video games, and was just hitting puberty so I had a growth spurt that pushed me to 5'8" (I hit 5'10" in eighth grade and stopped growing).... and it's like the second you realize you are different or stand out in any way to others, that's it. So you embrace it and you try to get by. It was not easy and I remember hating going to school.

Luckily, things changed in high school. I was lucky enough to go to an all girls school in Manhattan and experience different cultures and ways of thinking outside of my (still current) Bronx neighborhood. Not having boys around made school easier, it seemed.

But I know what it is like to still feel alone even with all of the friends I had. I know what it is like to want a love of my own. Even someone who could just get me on a deeper level and not just judge me by outer appearance. What it is like to wake up in a slump and dread stepping foot outside, or sometimes making decisions so impulsively that the consequences weren't even thought of until after the fact. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was 29. Suddenly, things made a little more sense. I knew why I was feeling as if every time I stepped into a room, people were staring at me or laughing at me. Random panic attacks. I got medicated and slowly got better. I still have periods of really deep and horrible depression.

In regards to homicide though... I have never felt the urge to kill anyone who ever made me feel badly about myself. If anything, it made me want to destroy myself.

Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:05 am

I don't feel much kinship with them. They were both immature and dickish.
Back to top Go down
REBdoomer1999

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Not in the sense that I intend to kill people, no. However, I do empathize with both of them. Our society pushed them off the edge, they lashed out in anger and took thirteen people with them.

Last edited by REBdoomer1999 on Wed May 03, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Thu May 04, 2017 7:43 am

Tough question.

"Relate" is maybe too big a word, but I believe some key similarities allow me to understand Eric Harris better than the vast majority of people can. For an in-depth explanation, you might want to check this thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Thu May 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Columbine is unique because they wrote down all their thoughts and did a great job at hiding their true intentions (for the most part). Hindsight is always 20/20. Going to prom a few days earlier and not giving off any red flags is quite remarkable.

Look at the amount of copy cats that continue to get caught even today in 2017. There's always kids and people trying to be like them.

I don't really buy into the mental health stance for either of them, I think they 100% knew what they were doing and 100% more than capable of having empathy for others but the switch turned off completely. Some can make the case the switch wasn't completely off since they let some go but they were past the point of help. It was more so a mission for fame and to achieve personal beliefs. Beliefs that consist of going against a system that is really still messed up today. The bottom line is if you can shoot a jump shot or throw a football well you have better odds of getting away with shit and being more successful in life. Such as rape, such as other bad crimes etc...

Of course they went about it completely wrong but they were past the point of no return. That was their last fuck you much like a Osama Bin Laden to America. It's not necessarily the people they killed, it's where they were killed.
Back to top Go down
java23

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 pm

I highly relate to them minus the "killing people and blowing up my school" part.  It's almost like they are a reflection of myself. Although I relate to Eric more because I used to have this "revenge" mentality, I love creating custom maps/mods in games that I play, and like him and Dylan, I've always have high self-awarness.
Back to top Go down
spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?   Sun May 14, 2017 9:35 pm

every time I read about them or hear stories from people who knew them I see more and more of me. I have a lot of traits of them both. A lot of the stuff they both hated about themselves are the same things I hated too, and hearing Sue Klebold's audio book recently even more mirror image of my self, especially the part when hes paranoid about other kids laughing at him, that was me as a teen.
Back to top Go down

Can any of you honestly relate to either Eric or Dylan?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1