Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thoughts on this?

Go down 
+6
BurnIt
Lifetime
Jenn
queenfarooq
tragedy79
areyoulistening
10 posters
AuthorMessage
areyoulistening

Contribution Points : 101947
Forum Reputation : 0

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I found this surprisingly heartbreaking. Whats your thoughts on it?

Contribution Points : 102145

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Same here...

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 5:32 pm

I can only imagine what was going through both of their heads...

Contribution Points : 102512
Forum Reputation : 10

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:09 pm

I remember seeing this some time ago, it just feels very sad to watch. I can imagine it being quite a powerful moment.
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118908
Forum Reputation : 1004

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 pm

I saw this before too and I agree it is sad.

Back to top Go down
Lifetime

Contribution Points : 102278

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 pm

I wonder sometimes just how much he still misses Eric, and how he felt about Eric after he seemed to be getting into a lot of trouble before the shooting. He had said before that his goal in life was to raise two good sons. It must have troubled him a lot seeing his youngest son seemingly going down the wrong path.

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 1:01 am

Yeah, it's sad.
Back to top Go down
BurnIt

Contribution Points : 101817

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 pm

This clashes with the Mausers assertion that Eric's parents seemed to believe and accept the psychopath label that was applied to Eric. I really don't think Wayne Harris believes his son was a psychopath and I can't imagine how hard it is for him. The Klebolds have been able to come out and voice their love for their son and how much they miss him and to ask why. The Harris family has not had the chance to do those same things. I think Why? is probably even harder when you have no one to ask but yourself.

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 5:40 pm

BurnIt wrote:
This clashes with the Mausers assertion that Eric's parents seemed to believe and accept the psychopath label that was applied to Eric. I really don't think Wayne Harris believes his son was a psychopath and I can't imagine how hard it is for him. The Klebolds have been able to come out and voice their love for their son and how much they miss him and to ask why. The Harris family has not had the chance to do those same things. I think Why? is probably even harder when you have no one to ask but yourself.

Maybe at the time they did or that was the only thing that gave them some grasp of how it their son could do something like that. I'm almost positive that they told the Mausers that they would never speak publicly, that they couldn't handle it. I think that it speaks volumes. To me that doesn't sound like people that don't care but people who don't want to kick back up the dust again.

One description Tom Mauser said that I thought was interesting was that he said Mr Harris seemed "haunted" I can only imagine and it fits with what this man is saying about him to. I don't know about other people but I tend to forget that they're actually real people with real emotions and hurts. It's easy to say "you should have done this" or "I don't think that he cares Eric even existed" because we don't know them and we're just words on a computer screen at the end of the day. But that's his son, his flesh and blood. He changed his nappies and took care of him when he was sick, maybe taught him to ride a bike. How can you not care that the person you raised and tried to instill good in, is gone forever? I think haunted is a wonderful description.

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 101926

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 2:54 am

I wonder why Wayne Harris chose to attend the signing. He and Kathy have always stayed out of the public eye, yet he attended an event featuring a book written at least partially about Columbine. And Eric is featured more heavily in Dylan, at least in what I've read so far. (Still reading it.) The fact that he decided to make himself known just blows my mind.

I have always wanted to know what was said or done to make the Mausers believe that the Harrises accepted the psychopath theory.
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 3:14 am

Thoughts on Eric:

Well, there he goes. One of god's own prototypes, a high-powered mutant never intended for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die. (paraphrased Hunter S. Thompson)

Thoughts on Wally:

I am DONE hearing about "master manipulators." I am done with the bad-seed rhetoric. TL;DR fucking Christian old fucking greybeard farts.
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:10 am

FredPete wrote:
I am DONE hearing about "master manipulators." I am done with the bad-seed rhetoric. TL;DR fucking Christian old fucking greybeard farts.

Agree with you on the "master manipulators" for sure. And love Hunter S. Thompson.

And also, Wally may have been a bit out of line sharing this with the world when it sounds like a pretty private moment. But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
areyoulistening

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:34 am

Wideawake wrote:
Wally may have been a bit out of line sharing this with the world when it sounds like a pretty private moment. But that's just my opinion.

I like that we have this information, it makes Mr Harris sound a bit more human but I do agree with you it wasn't something he maybe should have shared. He said at the end that he gave Mr Harris his email address and told him to get in touch but isn't sure if he will or not; he certainly won't now...

Maybe he was showing off? Mr and Mrs Harris are very private people and maybe Wally was saying "hey look, my book is so good even Mr Harris came out for it" or something to that effect.

Wideawake

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:48 am

areyoulistening wrote:
Wideawake wrote:
Wally may have been a bit out of line sharing this with the world when it sounds like a pretty private moment. But that's just my opinion.

I like that we have this information, it makes Mr Harris sound a bit more human but I do agree with you it wasn't something he maybe should have shared. He said at the end that he gave Mr Harris his email address and told him to get in touch but isn't sure if he will or not; he certainly won't now...

Maybe he was showing off? Mr and Mrs Harris are very private people and maybe Wally was saying "hey look, my book is so good even Mr Harris came out for it" or something to that effect.

Exactly. While I appreciate any additional insight, it seems like Wayne Harris was reaching out to the author. As you said, they are notoriously private and unlikely to appreciate the attention. If Wally Lamb wanted to advertise the meeting, he could have just said that he met him and that he seemed nice/haunted/emotional/whatever rather than describing the actual conversation.
Back to top Go down
areyoulistening

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:04 am

Wideawake wrote:
Exactly. While I appreciate any additional insight, it seems like Wayne Harris was reaching out to the author. As you said, they are notoriously private and unlikely to appreciate the attention. If Wally Lamb wanted to advertise the meeting, he could have just said that he met him and that he seemed nice/haunted/emotional/whatever rather than describing the actual conversation.

According to Wally Mr Harris asked him if Kevin would be able to read the book, for reasons only he knows but did Wally answer him? That is what would sell the book to me, if he told us what his answer was to Mr Harrises question, not a description of him. No shit that he looks like a haunted man, of course he does it was his son!

Wideawake

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:04 pm

areyoulistening wrote:
Wideawake wrote:

According to Wally Mr Harris asked him if Kevin would be able to read the book, for reasons only he knows but did Wally answer him? That is what would sell the book to me, if he told us what his answer was to Mr Harrises question, not a description of him. No shit that he looks like a haunted man, of course he does it was his son!

I'm not clear on why Mr. Harris would ask him that. Like, if he read the book wouldn't he be the best judge of whether Kevin would be able to read it? And if I were the Harris family, I'm pretty sure I would never read any book related to Columbine. There's nothing to gain from it.
Back to top Go down
areyoulistening

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Wideawake wrote:
areyoulistening wrote:
Wideawake wrote:

I'm not clear on why Mr. Harris would ask him that. Like, if he read the book wouldn't he be the best judge of whether Kevin would be able to read it? And if I were the Harris family, I'm pretty sure I would never read any book related to Columbine. There's nothing to gain from it.

Maybe he hadn't read it and wanted to find out more about it and that was his main concern? Maybe Kevin wanted to read it but didn't want to go to the place himself or was unsure if he could/would read it? He could have shown up for a lot of reasons. The Harrises do a pretty good job of steering clear of anything Columbine related, this is the only thing I've heard of them having anything to do with it all since, besides meeting some of the families. No they don't have anything to gain from it but I don't know what goes on inside their heads (sometimes I'd love to. Is that morbid?)

Contribution Points : 101468

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't think that's morbid, I wonder that so often myself.
I'm not so sure about Lamb being very accurate in his account of the meeting. It seems
such an unlikely thing for Wayne Harris to do.
Back to top Go down
areyoulistening

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

carrie12 wrote:
It seems such an unlikely thing for Wayne Harris to do.

It does seem unlikely and out or character for a man so private to do something like that, but as I said I'd love to know what went on inside of his head.
I still think it was out of line slightly of Lamb to say what happened, but hey it's good publicity for his book, right? Sad

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:10 pm

I also don't consider it morbid either. I often wonder what goes on during their heads and how they are especially during this time of year. I hope they are doing well. From what I have seen it looks like they have moved on. But I'm sure they really miss Eric and think about him often. Sad
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:10 am

My thought is I want to read this book now. Ive been to Littleton, to the memorial and the High school itself. Its the perfect place to raise a family if you ask me, the community never could have seen this coming. The author ask " Why all this rage? Where does it come from." Well sadly I know where it comes from, but many dont agree so it continues and will continue to happen.
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:04 am

I'm surprised Mr.Harris would want to read this book. In it, after the shooting it has a group of Columbine students discussing the awful ways that they thought E &D should have died.I remember one of the ways was they would have liked to have seen E &D drug to death behind a car. Then later on, the title character is sitting around thinking about how he wishes E and D were never born and how much better off the world would be if they hadn't of and how he wishes their parents had never had sex on those nights. I wouldn't want to read those things about my child, no matter what he'd done .

Plus, the book sucks.I think Wally Lamb is a terrible writer. She's come undone sucked too.
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:31 am

Wow that's terrible and it must have been very hard for Wayne and Kevin if they had read the book or knew those things were in it. I've only read a chapter but now I don't want too read the rest of the book.
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:40 am

In my opinion, you aren't missing much.
Back to top Go down
areyoulistening

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 7:22 am

CatherineM813 wrote:
Wow that's terrible and it must have been very hard for Wayne and Kevin if they had read the book or knew those things were in it.

I agree, that's an awful thing to have to read about your son/brother.

"Would Kevin be able to read this book?" apparently the answer should be no but who knows? Maybe he did read it.

Contribution Points : 83388

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 5:34 pm

Just saw this video & replies for the first time.

Given the Harris' commitment to privacy, that the book signing was in the Littleton area, that it was 9-10 years after 4/20.. I find it almost unbelievable that Eric's father was in attendance & stood in line to speak with the writer.

Very interesting on many levels. Takes on what Mr. Harris was qualifying in regards to his older son "being able to read it" & what the father thought Kevin could take from it?
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97715
Forum Reputation : 440

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:24 am

CatherineM813 wrote:
Wow that's terrible and it  must have been very hard for Wayne and Kevin if they had read the book or knew those things were in it. I've only read a chapter but now I don't want too read the rest of the book.
I never read it. Is it available anywhere? Really hate to import anythign across EU borders its costly and a lot of fuss.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
carrie12

Contribution Points : 101468

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 12:53 pm

It is available in Europe, too. My local library has it and I'm in Europe. I read into it a little and didn't quite like it. Full of clichés and pressed sentiments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this?   Thoughts on this? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this?
Page 1 of 1