Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week

Go down 
+3
STK
QuestionMark
sororityalpha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124034
Forum Reputation : 1001

Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Judge entered a not guilty plea so this should be going to trial.

Cruz can change his plea anytime up to the trial date as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm

sororityalpha wrote:
Judge entered a not guilty plea so this should be going to trial.

Cruz can change his plea anytime up to the trial date as well.

To my understanding the judge entered the not guilty plea because Cruz stood "Mute" before the court.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 58267
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Last time Cruz appeared on his trial he looked... I cant find appropriate word...indifferent
Before he looked like he have some sort of remorse, dunno if he pretended or not. But now he looks bored.

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Jea wrote:
Last time Cruz appeared on his trial he looked... I cant find appropriate word...indifferent
Before he looked like he have some sort of remorse, dunno if he pretended or not. But now he looks bored.

I think he is scared, also kind of like he is lost in his own little world.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 58267
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 5:41 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Jea wrote:

He lost some weight as i see. Mby he is on the stage of understanding what have his done.

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Jea wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Jea wrote:

He lost some weight as i see. Mby he is on the stage of understanding what have his done.

He seemed to have aged by a few years as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 6:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Officials were so concerned about the mental stability of the student accused of last month’s Florida school massacre that they decided he should be forcibly committed.

But the recommendation was never acted upon.

A commitment under the law would have made it more difficult if not impossible for Nikolas Cruz to obtain a gun legally.

But more than a year earlier, documents in the criminal case against Nikolas Cruz and obtained by The Associated Press show school officials and a sheriff’s deputy recommended in September 2016 that Cruz be involuntarily committed for a mental evaluation.

The documents, which are part of Cruz’s criminal case in the shooting, show that he had written the word “kill” in a notebook, told a classmate that he wanted to buy a gun and use it, and had cut his arm supposedly in anger because he had broken up with a girlfriend. He also told another student he had drunk gasoline and was throwing up. Calls had even been made to the FBI about the possibility of Cruz using a gun at school.

The documents were provided by a psychological assessment service initiated by Cruz’s mother called Henderson Behavioral Health. The documents show a high school resource officer who was also a sheriff’s deputy and two school counselors recommended in September 2016 that Cruz be committed for mental evaluation under Florida’s Baker Act. That law allows for involuntary commitment for mental health examination for at least three days.

Such an involuntary commitment would also have been a high obstacle if not a complete barrier to legally obtaining a firearm, such as the AR-15 rifle used in the Stoneman Douglas massacre on Feb. 14, authorities say.

There is no evidence Cruz was ever committed. Coincidentally, the school resource officer who recommended that Cruz be “Baker Acted” was Scot Peterson — the same Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy who resigned amid accusations he failed to respond to the shooting by staying outside the building where the killings occurred.

David S. Weinstein, a former federal prosecutor, said that an involuntary commitment would have been a huge red flag had Cruz attempted to buy a firearm legally.

“If he had lied, hopefully the verification of the form would have pulled up the commitment paperwork,” Weinstein said.

The documents do not say why Cruz was not committed under the Baker Act or whether he may not have qualified for other reasons. The law allows a law enforcement officer such as Peterson to initiate commitment under the Baker Act.

The documents show that Cruz was very much on the radar screen of mental health professionals and the Broward County school system, yet very little appears to have been done other than these evaluations.

Other red flags have also surfaced, including calls to the FBI about Cruz’s potential to become a school shooter and numerous visits by county law enforcement officials to his home – both before his mother died in November and after, when he lived briefly with a family friend in Palm Beach County.

Again, very little was done.

After the attack Nik's little brother Zachary was committed under the Baker Act and held for a few days.  I get sick thinking about all the times this kid could have been stopped but wasn't. Sad
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124034
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 pm

SRO/Deputy Scot Peterson recommended the involuntary commitment as well as others Sep. 2016.

Wasn't Cruz pulled out of the Marjory Stoneman High School shortly after that?

Cruz apparently bought the AR-15 in Feb. 2017.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120353
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 12:23 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
he had written the word “kill” in a notebook, told a classmate that he wanted to buy a gun and use it, and had cut his arm supposedly in anger because he had broken up with a girlfriend. He also told another student he had drunk gasoline and was throwing up.

Holy hell, it seems like every time I hear about Nick there's a new major red flag that's revealed.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week   Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nikolas Cruz's school shooting case goes to grand jury next week
Page 1 of 1