Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?

Go down 
+4
blackholesun
QuestionMark
Ainjel
Screamingophelia
8 posters
AuthorMessage

How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Empty
PostSubject: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 6:42 pm

The question basically is, in today's world, how far do you see Eric and Dylan getting in this " No tolerance" world for things like this. Like how far into their planning and plans do you think they would get?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Population Control wrote:
The question basically is, in today's world, how far do you see Eric and Dylan getting in this " No tolerance" world for things like this. Like how far into their planning and plans do you think they would get?

That is hard to say. I think they likely would have been able to get pretty far along the road to NBK IF Eric could stay off social media, and keep his cool. Also if Dylan could still keep everyone convinced that he was fine.

I mean take Nikolas Cruz for example, this kid was a walking/talking red flag if ever there was one, BUT he was still overlooked. His behavior was worse then Eric's and Dylan's combined.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193207
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

That is hard to say. I think they likely would have been able to get pretty far along the road to NBK IF Eric could stay off social media, and keep his cool. Also if Dylan could still keep everyone convinced that he was fine.

I mean take Nikolas Cruz for example, this kid was a walking/talking red flag if ever there was one, BUT he was still overlooked. His behavior was worse then Eric's and Dylan's combined.

Also Littleton has changed a lot since 1999, Denver is more progressive so they may have found more of a niche and may they wouldn't have been as bullied. Also we would have gotten the BT. I would say Eric would have had to have kept his cool like SG said, though he did love to leave his breadcrumbs and foreshadowing.

People would have hounded Dylan a lot more and maybe his story would have raised some eyebrows.

Would they have still broken into the van and built pipe bombs and stuff?
Back to top Go down
Ainjel

Ainjel

Contribution Points : 65833
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:07 pm

They would still commit the school shooting.  Look at all the red flags that Cruz was throwing out and he killed more than Eric and Dylan.  Plus there were laws that changed because of Columbine, such as the Gun Show Loophole.  Also, schools changed rules because of Columbine such as no trench coats and no mentioning of shooting or guns on school grounds.  If there were no Columbine, who’s to say these rules or laws would have ever changed?
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120353
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I could see Eric posting some kind of threat or warning on 4chan the day before the massacre.  Razz

QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Also we would have gotten the BT.

Shit, TBT would've probably been posted on the internet. If they were smart about it they'd put it on a MediaFire account like Randy Stair.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I could see Eric posting some kind of threat or warning on 4chan the day before the massacre.  Razz

Probably! I think REB would have to do some sort of trolling online.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:32 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Probably! I think REB would have to do some sort of trolling online.

Yea all REB got to do was post in his AIM bio "student and the rest is still unpublished"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 12:58 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

u could run around the police station showing all the officers a rifle and telling them your plans to kill people and the cops still wouldnt care
Back to top Go down
blackholesun

Contribution Points : 76587

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Some of these answers remind me of 21 Jump Street, when the two characters go back to high school and are shocked that the weird kids are now the popular kids. But as someone who graduated high school a few years ago, I can tell you that the popular kids are pretty much the same as back then.

But in terms of progressiveness and alternative interests being more accepted, I think they might have been more accepted...except for the fact that Eric Harris alone was a huge dick, always looking to threaten people with his shitlist and just start shit in general. Even if he was in a more accepting environment, there is no doubt in my mind that he would still be disliked by people for being a dick.

Same goes for Dylan, even though I don't hear too much about him being a bully outwardly.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm

blackholesun wrote:
Some of these answers remind me of 21 Jump Street, when the two characters go back to high school and are shocked that the weird kids are now the popular kids.  But as someone who graduated high school a few years ago, I can tell you that the popular kids are pretty much the same as back then.

But in terms of progressiveness and alternative interests being more accepted, I think they might have been more accepted...except for the fact that Eric Harris alone was a huge dick, always looking to threaten people with his shitlist and just start shit in general.  Even if he was in a more accepting environment, there is no doubt in my mind that he would still be disliked by people for being a dick.

Same goes for Dylan, even though I don't hear too much about him being a bully outwardly.

It sounds like it was mostly Eric who instigated a lot. There’s a few different things here and there about Dylan but I feel like sometimes Dylan just got to the breaking point and lashed out where as Eric instigated more.

Some of the things people have said about Dylan sound really out of the blue for him. In the context of how he acted around his friends and family.
Back to top Go down
Tuga

Contribution Points : 64417

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, considering the fact that suicide was always part of the plan, methinks they would have committed the crime anyway. They would probably aim for a higher death toll as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 pm

eldigato wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

u could run around the police station showing all the officers a rifle and telling them your plans to kill people and the cops still wouldnt care

In certain areas it does seem like that doesn't it? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76111
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: billyboy   How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 pm

blackholesun wrote:
But in terms of progressiveness and alternative interests being more accepted, I think they might have been more accepted...except for the fact that Eric Harris alone was a huge dick, always looking to threaten people with his shitlist and just start shit in general.  Even if he was in a more accepting environment, there is no doubt in my mind that he would still be disliked by people for being a dick.

Eric's Nazi crap at school would get him in huge trouble today. Hell, I'm surprised it didn't get him in more trouble in 1999. Of course, part of the reason these things would get him in huge trouble today is due to Columbine itself.

They also drew influence from things like the Oklahoma City Bombing whereas school shooters today are drawing from Columbine itself. Kids today don't know what the Oklahoma City Bombing even is.

Back to top Go down
Kathericat

Contribution Points : 55091

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Yeah, in the 2010's Eric doing the Hitler salute would have been reported and dealt with strictly. Not so sure about the 2000's - there was still quite a lot of homophobia and the like in most schools in the US, as far as I know. I may be wrong - I'm not an expert on schools.

Must disagree with you on how much kids know about the Oklahoma City Bombing. I know about it and I'm only 17. Then again I have a interest in terrorism and the far-right in general. How they think, and organise. How they recruit. It's the same for the Islamists - it's remarkable how much they have in common with one another.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Kathericat wrote:
Yeah, in the 2010's Eric doing the Hitler salute would have been reported and dealt with strictly. Not so sure about the 2000's - there was still quite a lot of homophobia and the like in most schools in the US, as far as I know. I may be wrong - I'm not an expert on schools. 

Homophobia =/= a tolerance for Nazi imagery and rhetoric.

Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97993
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:20 pm

I think the Basement Tapes would be on YouTube and freely available if they had done it nowadays. Someone would have found and saved them before they got took down.

They may not even have got as far as carrying out the act.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Draw_It_White wrote:
They may not even have got as far as carrying out the act.

Hitmen for Hire would get shit rained down on them for sure.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?    How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How far do you think Eric and Dylan would get today?
Page 1 of 1