Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Legally sane in court?

Go down 
+2
Screamingophelia
Oldmare
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 59374
Forum Reputation : 0

Legally sane in court?  Empty
PostSubject: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 1:03 pm

I was wondering earlier today..
If Dylan and Eric survived and were arrested...would they have been found legally sane enough for court?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Almost certainley Sane, they didn't have any serious mental illness, just anger and resentment against the world, and in perticular, the school, and Dylan was suicidal, and that is another risk factor for Mass Shootings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
Almost certainley Sane, they didn't have any serious mental illness, just anger and resentment against the world, and in perticular, the school, and Dylan was suicidal, and that is another risk factor for Mass Shootings.

I agree. Likely Eric and Dylan would have been diagnosed with some type of mental issues/disorders, but I truly don't think they would have been deemed unfit to stand trial.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 2:56 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

I agree. Likely Eric and Dylan would have been diagnosed with some type of mental issues/disorders, but I truly don't think they would have been deemed unfit to stand trial.

A good therapist and lawyer could portray Dylan as being detached from reality given his journals.

However one look at the Basement Tapes would change that.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

A good therapist and lawyer could portray Dylan as being detached from reality given his journals.

However one look at the Basement Tapes would change that.

Agreed. The tapes would have been the most damning piece of evidence against them in that regard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Martin Bryant came nowhere near the criteria the law requires for insanity, so E&D would be many more miles away from it than Bryant.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120378
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
Martin Bryant came nowhere near the criteria the law requires for insanity, so E&D would be many more miles away from it than Bryant.

Even James Holmes wasn't considered insane at his trial, so Eric and Dylan's chances are slim to none.

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

Even James Holmes wasn't considered insane at his trial, so Eric and Dylan's chances are slim to none.

Was James Holmes diagnosed with schizophrenia prior to the theatre shooting?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
He was/is a psychopath.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:38 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

Was James Holmes diagnosed with schizophrenia prior to the theatre shooting?

Not to my knowledge but he was seeing a therapist and practically anyone could tell that the guy was fucked in the head.

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 9:00 am

Getting a plea of insanity is tougher than people think

With all the evidence leading up to the 20th, there is no way they would have been found insane

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Lizpuff wrote:

With all the evidence leading up to the 20th, there is no way they would have been found insane

I wonder how they’d act at their trial?

Most of what I read said they’d probably be silent with their head down the whole time.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83263

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Most of what I read said they’d probably be silent with their head down the whole time.

My guess as well.. reality and no weaponry=docile and shamed
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Probably, though it is darkly amusing to imagine them giving the judge the finger or something equally disrespectful.

Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 59374

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 5:18 pm

I think Eric would be the kind to try and defend himself. Hes all knowing and such...he would never leave his life in someone else's hands. He would have been proud of his actions and enjoyed the chance to show off. I wonder if his parents would have paid for his legal costs or if he would have ended up with a public defender?
Dylan would have a better chance. I think he was very unwell. He had not been eating properly for months. He was so consuming alcohol on a regular basis so may have had a mineral/vitamin deficiency that can cause serious imbalances and lead to mood issues. He would have been the type to be sullen and never make eye contact. His parents retained a lawyer very quickly on April 20. Lots of support available. I think he would have been found able to stand trial but they would have used his depression etc as part of his defense.
Would they be tried concurrently?

Would they both be tried as adults? Eric was 18 but Dylan was 5 months away from turning 18.
Can you imagine the victim impact statements?! Ouch. All the evidence such as TBT and 911 calls...i imagine there would be a media lock out.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Oldmare wrote:
I think Eric would be the kind to try and defend himself.  Hes all knowing and such...he would never leave his life in someone else's hands. He would have been proud of his actions and enjoyed the chance to show off. I wonder if his parents would have paid for his legal costs or if he would have ended up with a public defender?
Dylan would have a better chance. I think he was very unwell. He had not been eating properly for months. He was so consuming alcohol on a regular basis so may have had a mineral/vitamin deficiency that can cause serious imbalances and lead to mood issues.  He would have been the type to be sullen and never make eye contact. His parents retained a lawyer very quickly on April 20. Lots of support available. I think he would have been found able to stand trial but they would have used his depression etc as part of his defense.

Would they both be tried as adults? Eric was 18 but Dylan was 5 months away from turning 18.
Can you imagine the victim impact statements?! Ouch. All the evidence such as TBT and 911 calls...i imagine there would be a media lock out.

Sent from Topic'it App
I believe both would be tried as adults.

Eric may get the death penalty to begin with but I see him being commuted to life in prison later on like with other young murderers.
Back to top Go down
Okay-Okay

Okay-Okay

Contribution Points : 55303

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm

I feel like if they were incarcerated Dylan would most likely attempt to or successfully kill himself while in prison, Eric on the other hand, I'm not sure. just my own speculation though.

Sent from Topic'it App

Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Oldmare wrote:
I think Eric would be the kind to try and defend himself.  Hes all knowing and such...he would never leave his life in someone else's hands. He would have been proud of his actions and enjoyed the chance to show off. I wonder if his parents would have paid for his legal costs or if he would have ended up with a public defender?
Dylan would have a better chance. I think he was very unwell. He had not been eating properly for months. He was so consuming alcohol on a regular basis so may have had a mineral/vitamin deficiency that can cause serious imbalances and lead to mood issues.  He would have been the type to be sullen and never make eye contact. His parents retained a lawyer very quickly on April 20. Lots of support available. I think he would have been found able to stand trial but they would have used his depression etc as part of his defense.

Sent from Topic'it App

I think they would both be tried as adults, I feel like with Eric it would depend on how his parents reacted. Dylan's parents got a lawyer right away because of diversion and hearing about a possible prank.

I think Dylan would find a way to kill himself to be honest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 6:44 am

Either way, I think it's safe to say that IF they had survived for any amount of time in prison it wouldn't have been very pleasant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 8:01 am

I think both would be in protective custody and on suicide watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 8:26 am

Ivan wrote:
I think both would be in protective custody and on suicide watch.

Agreed. No way they would have let E&D in general population. They would have been eaten alive.

This is likely what is happening with Nikolas Cruz right now. Who knows how long he will be kept on suicide watch. I think they are keeping him on watch as a means of keeping him separated from other inmates more then from the fear of him actually hurting himself.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 2:48 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
I think they are keeping him on watch as a means of keeping him separated from other inmates more then from the fear of him actually hurting himself.

I don't disagree with your assessment but if that's what they're doing then they should put him in protective custody instead.

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 2:53 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
I think they are keeping him on watch as a means of keeping him separated from other inmates more then from the fear of him actually hurting himself.

I don't disagree with your assessment but if that's what they're doing then they should put him in protective custody instead.

Some of the Tumblr "Cruzer" fangirls are saying that the jail is doing it just to keep Cruz from getting his fan mail! Rolling Eyes Haha
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 3:39 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Some of the Tumblr "Cruzer" fangirls are saying that the jail is doing it just to keep Cruz from getting his fan mail! Rolling Eyes Haha

Well in a way they are. I don't think they would find it helpful to inundate Cruz with letters telling him what a great person he is for killing 17 people.

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 3:45 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Well in a way they are. I don't think they would find it helpful to inundate Cruz with letters telling him what a great person he is for killing 17 people.

Agreed. They are posting the rejection letters on Tumblr and bitching about it, and have been calling the jail and complaining. He was being read certain ones. Like ONLY the religious ones. But apparently they have pissed off someone at the jail and everything is being rejected now. Roll
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 5:34 pm

I think that if they survived and got life in prison without parole, they would have regretted not killing as many as they could have physically done, because it would carry the same punishment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legally sane in court?    Legally sane in court?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legally sane in court?
Page 1 of 1