Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did Eric ever do anything good?

Go down 
+2
Screamingophelia
myshame
6 posters
AuthorMessage
myshame

Contribution Points : 74969
Forum Reputation : 0

Did Eric ever do anything good? Empty
PostSubject: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Dylan had friends and Sue that could talk nice about him, but Eric doesn't seem to have that.

Maybe caring for his sick dog counts as a sympathetic moment for him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm

It's true that Dylan had people speak out about him. They shared good memories, funny stories, etc.  His mother even wrote a book describing Dylan in as much of a positive light as she could.

Eric remains a mystery. His family has never spoken about him publicly. But I am sure Eric had some friends/family that could share good memories or stories about him. People who knew him before the move to Colorado did come out and say that Eric was nice, sweet, funny. etc.

I think a lot have never spoken out on Eric because his family has ALWAYS been so private. Maybe they didn't want to invade the Harris's privacy by showing pictures and releasing information. Even if it was good and would have painted a very different picture of Eric then what most believe.
Back to top Go down
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
It's true that Dylan had people speak out about him. They shared good memories, funny stories, etc.  His mother even wrote a book describing Dylan in as much of a positive light as she could.

Eric remains a mystery. His family has never spoken about him publicly. But I am sure Eric had some friends/family that could share good memories or stories about him. People who knew him before the move to Colorado did come out and say that Eric was nice, sweet, funny. etc.

I think a lot have never spoken out on Eric because his family has ALWAYS been so private. Maybe they didn't want to invade the Harris's privacy by showing pictures and releasing information. Even if it was good and would have painted a very different picture of Eric then what most believe.

I think the real issue is that Eric's best friend was Dylan. There aren't as many people who would go out on a limb for Eric.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:47 pm

When he was younger yes, some of his classmates thought the world of him. I think he kept in touch with one girl and on 4/20 when she heard of the shooting she was very worried about Eric being hurt.

I think he was friends with Alyssa and he was always nice to her. He also was a good dog parent to Sparky.

Dylan though I think was the friend that never let  him down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:09 pm

myshame wrote:
I think the real issue is that Eric's best friend was Dylan. There aren't as many people who would go out on a limb for Eric.

True. Nearing the end Eric had pretty much distanced himself from almost everyone friend wise besides Dylan and maybe Chris Morris. Although he did consider Dylan his best friend.

I was just saying that in my opinion I feel that no one has released things on Eric due to his parents. They were a very private family even before Columbine, and became even more so after.  I think that perhaps Eric's old friends and other family members never really talked much out of respect for his family's wish for privacy.
Back to top Go down
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:11 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
myshame wrote:

True. Nearing the end Eric had pretty much distanced himself from almost everyone friend wise besides Dylan and maybe Chris Morris. Although he did consider Dylan his best friend.

I was just saying that in my opinion I feel that no one has released things on Eric due to his parents. They were a very private family even before Columbine, and became even more so after.  I think that perhaps Eric's old friends and other family members never really talked much out of respect for his family's wish for privacy.

I don't think so. The Klebolds were private, but Devon Adams still spoke up about Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm

I sometimes feel myself having more empathy for Eric than Dylan. That kid was so lost and hated himself the most out of all the things he ranted about.

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:19 pm

myshame wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
myshame wrote:

I don't think so. The Klebolds were private, but Devon Adams still spoke up about Dylan.

True. As I said before by that time Eric had already pushed most everyone besides Dylan away. So he didn't really have anyone in the immediate area to speak kindly of/for him. Even his own family were closed lipped and offered nothing on his behalf.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I sometimes feel myself having more empathy for Eric than Dylan. That kid was so lost and hated himself the most out of all the things he ranted about.

Agreed. A lot of people read his journal and ONLY see or focus on the hate. But there was a lot of self esteem issues and loneliness scattered through those pages as well.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120378
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 7:51 pm

myshame wrote:

Kind of sad that the only person who would be willing to stand up for Eric is dead.

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 7:56 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
myshame wrote:

Kind of sad that the only person who would be willing to stand up for Eric is dead.

It really is. I read 2 theories on why Eric died first why Dylan lingered. One is sinister, Dylan wanted to make sure Eric really did kill himself and the other was so that Eric wouldn’t be alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
myshame wrote:

It really is. I read 2 theories on why Eric died first why Dylan lingered. One is sinister, Dylan wanted to make sure Eric really did kill himself and the other was so that Eric wouldn’t be alone.

In my opinion the second one makes no sense at all, as the whole plan was to commit suicide after NBK. Dylan had talked about his own death for years. He killed himself because that was the plan, what he had wanted all along was to die.

I'm almost certain that it wasn't for the noble purpose of keeping Eric company! Haha

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 8:13 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
myshame wrote:

In my opinion the second one makes no sense at all, as the whole plan was to commit suicide after NBK. Dylan had talked about his own death for years. He killed himself because that was the plan, what he had wanted all alone was to die.

I'm almost certain that it wasn't for the noble purpose of keeping Eric company! Haha

That made me laugh but I’m wondering if I misspoke?

I thought the theory was Dylan let eric die first so Eric would still have a fri bd around... I don’t know, now that I’m typing it I’m seeing the flaws lol

I think Eric was fueled with disappointment, rage and anger and was like “fuck I’m out” and put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. That’s always telling, he destroyed himself. Dylan lit the Molotov cocktail almost to give himself a time limit to pull the trigger. He also evidently took off his necklace and earring. Kept his ring, cap and pocket watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
myshame wrote:

In my opinion the second one makes no sense at all, as the whole plan was to commit suicide after NBK. Dylan had talked about his own death for years. He killed himself because that was the plan, what he had wanted all along was to die.

I thought the theory was Dylan let eric die first so Eric would still have a fri bd around... I don’t know, now that I’m typing it I’m seeing the flaws lol

I think Eric was fueled with disappointment, rage and anger and was like “fuck I’m out” and put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. That’s always telling, he destroyed himself. Dylan lit the Molotov cocktail almost to give himself a time limit to pull the trigger. He also evidently took off his necklace and earring. Kept his ring, cap and pocket watch.

I do think that Eric was just like "I'm done" went to his spot and killed himself without a lot of fanfare.  Then Dylan followed shortly after.

BUT if it could be proven without a doubt that Dylan had went first, then we would have people saying that Eric forced him to go first, that he watched gleefully as Dylan killed himself, etc.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 9:46 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
myshame wrote:

I do think that Eric was just like "I'm done" went to his spot and killed himself without a lot of fanfare.  Then Dylan followed shortly after.

BUT if it could be proven without a doubt that Dylan had went first, then we would have people saying that Eric forced him to go first, that he watched gleefully as Dylan killed himself, etc.

Exactly. There will always be people that paint Eric as an evil mastermind only.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 83282
Forum Reputation : 598

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 12:43 am

Since there is a dearth of information about "nice guy Eric," we can always let Eric speak for himself.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have been reading Ann Rule's book about Ted Bundy and even Ted, a sadistic rapist, necrophiliac, mass murdering psychopath did "good things" in his life. He once chased down a purse snatcher and returned the bag to its owner and around the same time, he ran into the water to save a three year old from drowning in a lake. Does it make a difference?

To me, this seems like a slightly useless thing to worry about. Everyone does good things, even people who also do heinous things and I'm sure Eric was no different. Just because we haven't heard many stories doesn't mean that they didn't happen. One Christmas, Adam Lanza told his father that he wanted to use his savings to go Christmas shopping for needy children and that's what they did. There are other indications that Adam genuinely cared about people in his life but he still murdered 27 people, most of them children, so understandably, very few people have any sympathy for him at all.

For most of us, maybe the small "good things" count and we can weigh them against the bad to figure out who we are but the truth is that when you choose to murder a dozen or more people, showing care for a sick dog doesn't matter anymore. Humans are complicated creatures but a mass shooter defines himself by the act and that is a purposeful choice. It is a final statement on their own identity because it reveals, without qualification, what is more important to them than anything else in life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 1:02 am

sscc wrote:
For most of us, maybe the small "good things" count and we can weigh them against the bad to figure out who we are but the truth is that when you choose to murder a dozen or more people, showing care for a sick dog doesn't matter anymore. Humans are complicated creatures but a mass shooter defines himself by the act and that is a purposeful choice. It is a final statement on their own identity because it reveals, without qualification, what is more important to them than anything else in life.

Agreed. Eric put all his energy, everything he had into a plan that he hoped would kill hundreds. He walked around a school and gunned down innocent people who was completely at his mercy.  

The good deeds he may have done could never lessen the devastation and cruel acts Eric committed in the last moments of his life. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 59374

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 2:38 am

Lets not forget that both boys WANTED tp ne remembered for NBK and everything surrounding that led up to it.

Thier journal's, videos, Basement Tapes and even how they acted while killing people were all done to so they would be remembered as horrific and evil killers. I don't think either cared about the good they did. They were so focused on NBK I doubt there was room for anything else. I can only imagine what the world would have thought if those bombs did detonate...
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 4:55 am

sscc wrote:
Since there is a dearth of information about "nice guy Eric," we can always let Eric speak for himself.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have been reading Ann Rule's book about Ted Bundy and even Ted, a sadistic rapist, necrophiliac, mass murdering psychopath did "good things" in his life. He once chased down a purse snatcher and returned the bag to its owner and around the same time, he ran into the water to save a three year old from drowning in a lake. Does it make a difference?

To me, this seems like a slightly useless thing to worry about. Everyone does good things, even people who also do heinous things and I'm sure Eric was no different. Just because we haven't heard many stories doesn't mean that they didn't happen. One Christmas, Adam Lanza told his father that he wanted to use his savings to go Christmas shopping for needy children and that's what they did. There are other indications that Adam genuinely cared about people in his life but he still murdered 27 people, most of them children, so understandably, very few people have any sympathy for him at all.

There's the saying "The evil that man does lives on while the good in interred into their bones" paraphrasing.

Even when you try to explain the bullying and the depression etc.. that Eric and Dylan went through it is so hard for most people to have empathy because what they did seems to negate it. Even Rocky the King Bully of Bullydom, reigning douche canoe of Columbine High School did not commit a massacre like they did.

Dylan had some very sweet moments where he showed himself to be a good friend, he even wrote in his journal that he hated when guys were "assholes to chicks" he wanted to be liked, he brought cookies to class... but the only thing people remember is the guy who laughed gleefully while he killed others. I wonder sometimes if their friends start telling a story about maybe Dylan to a new friend or maybe to a Lyft driver like "oh i remember when my friend and I did such and such' then they realize they are talking about Dylan and feel odd?
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120378
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 9:12 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I wonder sometimes if their friends start telling a story about maybe Dylan to a new friend or maybe  to a Lyft driver like "oh i remember when my friend and I did such and such' then they realize they are talking about Dylan and feel odd?

I think it would be a bit odd, and more than a little sad, to see other people's quirks only to be reminded of your dead friend.

Ericishuman

Contribution Points : 59974

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Dylan isn’t excused for his cruel acts either and Dylan was an asshole to chicks in gym class. Sounds like hypocrisy to me
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 1:45 pm

I agree, I think Dylan being an asshole was probably a defense mechanism too. It doesn't excuse it but you don't know if these people were being mean to him and he was trying to fight back.

That's one of the annoying thing about being bullied. Sometimes when you defend yourself, yell back or punch back, you look like the bad one.

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric ever do anything good?   Did Eric ever do anything good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did Eric ever do anything good?
Page 1 of 1