Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JayJay

Contribution Points : 96939
Forum Reputation : 0

Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Empty
PostSubject: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Posted those in another thread while discussing Columbine so, here are some links about Marc Lépine and the Polytechnique shooting of 1989 where 15 (including the perpetrator) died.

The school shooting info website documents include an article analyzing five adults mass shooters, including Lépine and the suicide note of the shooter: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There's also a movie but I can't find the full version subtitled in English on YouTube. Here are some of the unforgettable scenes with subtitles in English: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's the movie in French with Spanish subtitles for those who can understand: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
rik75

Contribution Points : 97068
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks for the links. I shall have a look.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 am

You're welcome.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102387
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 4:39 pm

JayJay wrote:
There's also a movie but I can't find the full version subtitled in English on YouTube. Here are some of the unforgettable scenes with subtitles in English: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
An extremely moving clip, thank you for posting.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 am

In between the news of Mandela's passing and the upcoming 1 year anniversary of the Newtown shooting, today marks the 24th anniversary since the Montréal Massacre/Polytechnique shooting:http://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/2013/12/dec-6-national-day-of-remembrance-and-action-on-violence-against-women/

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm

JayJay wrote:

Were there really playing "Marian" by Sisters of Mercy while the shooting occurred in the auditorium, or made the movie that up?
Back to top Go down
JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Probably made it up but, am told by someone who went to that same uni around that time the commons looks similar to the real ones and that kind of music (Sisters of Mercy and such) was playing in those days in student cafés and other places. By the way, I know for a fact this was playing in the student café in those days ;) :

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 4:06 pm

JayJay wrote:
Probably made it up but, am told by someone who went to that same uni around that time the commons looks similar to the real ones and that kind of music (Sisters of Mercy and such) was playing in those days in student cafés and other places. By the way, I know for a fact this was playing in the student café in those days ;) :
Ooooh...Nena, Tokio Hotel....Germany's music exports weren't that tasteful, I know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 am

An Interview with Marc Lepines mother:

Part 1: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Part 2: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 am

Thanks for putting this up!

It is clear from this interview just how much his mom has made a lot of headway into accepting and understanding what her son did. But then, she did not feel the need to come out publicly until after Kimveer Gill went to shoot at Dawson College (Montreal, Canada), in 2006.

I have Monique Lépine's book, Aftermath, signed by her hand on the first page. My mom found it in a used bookstore and gave it to me without knowing of my deep interest in Columbine and school shootings (she knows I like ''social stories''). I am not aware of any other book written by the parent of a school shooter. It's a terrible and enlightening story.

It's a very bold and courageous move from Monique to have written that book because she came under the same kind of criticism as the Harrises and the Klebolds.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

JayJay wrote:
Thanks for putting this up!

It is clear from this interview just how much his mom has made a lot of headway into accepting and understanding what her son did. But then, she did not feel the need to come out publicly until after Kimveer Gill went to shoot at Dawson College (Montreal, Canada), in 2006.

I have Monique Lépine's book, Aftermath, signed by her hand on the first page. My mom found it in a used bookstore and gave it to me without knowing of my deep interest in Columbine and school shootings (she knows I like ''social stories''). I am not aware of any other book written by the parent of a school shooter. It's a terrible and enlightening story.

It's a very bold and courageous move from Monique to have written that book because she came under the same kind of criticism as the Harrises and the Klebolds.

I heard from that book and also wanted to read it. How much insight and information his mother bring us about Marc Lepine?
Back to top Go down
JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:07 pm

As far as his upbringing, a lot of information about Marc Lépine's abusive father and about her son's behavior as he grew up. Does it explain everything? No. But you can recognize some issues similar to other mass shooters like shyness, difficulty to deal with rejection or perceived rejection, difficulty in approaching women, impulsive and unpredictable behavior, sudden explosive anger, desire to have his opinions heard publicly, the idea that someone else is responsible for his demise / perceived failure, morbid interests, etc.

A few things in Marc Lépine that reminded me of Dylan or Eric as I read Monique's book, beyond the fact that he was a ''computer guy'':

-The belief women should just ''cook food'' and stay home to care for men (doesn't that remind you of Eric's entry in his diary?).

-Nazi stuff (in one instance Marc was seen by his friend uttering some German words and putting his right arm straight in front of him, like Eric and Dylan at bowling).

-Fascination with war movies and suicide operations (as well as horror movies).

-Like Eric and Dylan, he was seen by others as pretty sweet and polite on a day-to-day basis but, would go into unpredictable rage at the smallest upset.

-His very shy behavior around women, like Dylan.

-He also tried to enroll in the army and was rejected based on a psychological test showing he didn't deal well with authority.

It doesn't go very far in terms of psychological description but, she was his mom, not his psychologist. A few chapters detail conversations with friends of Marc so, there's some more insights on incidents that have happened, all from the friends' perspective. A fair amount of the book is about Monique Lépine's own reaction to the shooting, her spiritual life and her healing process. Plus, she lost Marc's sister, Nadia, in 1996 (from drug overdose)... her two kids, 7 years apart, so there is some about that too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''   Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life'' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Polytechnique massacre / Marc Lépine (1989): ''feminists ruined my life''
Page 1 of 1