Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?

Go down 
+7
thedarkmessiah
Unknown
Screamingophelia
Russianman
UncontinuedProcess
QuestionMark
James411
11 posters
AuthorMessage
James411

Contribution Points : 85139
Forum Reputation : 89

Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Empty
PostSubject: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 am

I been thinking about this.
Pekka Eric Auvien he shot himself in the head but survived in the hospital for several hours. Matti sarii shot himself
in the head and did not die instantly instead he was taken to the hospital.

Dylan Klebold survived probably at a couple of minutes after shooting himself.

So the big question is why could not doctors save them if they were taken to hospital? And also why do some shooter
die instantly like Eric Harris and others survive?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 11:25 am

Shooters who initially survived shot themselves in the temple, Pekka and Matti survived even longer because they did it with 22s. Meanwhile Eric put a shotgun in his mouth and blew his brains out. As for why doctors couldn't save them, I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120503
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 am

James411 wrote:
So the big question is why could not doctors save them if they were taken to hospital?

Gunshot wounds to the head are hard to survive. Pekka and Matti probably died from excessive blood loss as doctors tried to save them.

UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 67182
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 1:28 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
James411 wrote:
So the big question is why could not doctors save them if they were taken to hospital?

Gunshot wounds to the head are hard to survive. Pekka and Matti probably died from excessive blood loss as doctors tried to save them.

Also it took law enforcement 3 hours to reach the inside of the library so by that time I guess Klebold had died by that point.
Back to top Go down
Russianman

Russianman

Contribution Points : 53046
Forum Reputation : 157

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 1:39 pm

James411 wrote:
I been thinking about this.
Pekka Eric Auvien he shot himself in the head but survived in the hospital for several hours. Matti sarii shot himself
in the head and did not die instantly instead he was taken to the hospital.

Dylan Klebold survived probably at a couple of minutes after shooting himself.  

So the big question is why could not doctors save them if they were taken to hospital? And also why do some shooter
die instantly like Eric Harris and others survive?

.22 bad choice for mass shooting and suicide. (but if they in 18-year-old hands and more old - it`s danger)

Pekka have time for death on scene, but survived. Pekka shot in the direction of policeman in 12 : 04, and soon after shot himself. He was found in 13:54.

But Matti don`t have time for death on scene. Police found him in school standing with gun in 12 : 09. And found him with injured in head in 12: 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 7:45 pm

It's all about caliber and shot placement. As a rule of thumb the larger the caliber the more damage it'll do to soft tissue. A study found, that of those surviving a firearm suicide attempt, 80% used a handgun, 15% a rifle, and only 5% a shotgun.However, shot placement is also extremely important. People have shot themselves in the head with a shotgun only for it to maim them while others have been shot in the head once with a .22 and been instantly killed. Typically, a bullet that that damages the spinal column where it meets the base of the skull (base of the head at the back) tends to be quickly fatal, and this is most likely achieved by aiming slightly down through the mouth, or else simply pointing the gun at the rear base of the head (however this can be tricky to pull off which is why most people shoot themselves in the temple of up through the mouth). Shots to the front of the head may simply damage the cerebral cortex which may not be as life threatening as a shot to other parts of the brain near the brainstem or back of the brain.
Back to top Go down
James411

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 am

You would think a gun shot to head would quickly knock someone unconscious but I do not think that is true. For example Williams Atchison shot himself with a large caliber weapon orally.

According to a police officer he was still able to move his head and look at him so maybe he was conscious. And the shooting happened near 9 am but his death certificate list him as expiring at 4:25 pm I think.

MilverSoxie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193357
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Depending on the part of Dylan's brain that was hit, even if they got to him on time, he may have been unable to speak/move etc..

IIRC Patrick was shot in the head with the Tec-9 as well but lived, it wasn't as close of range as Dylan's though. He either had the gun pressed to his head or very close.

Contribution Points : 62001
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Even if a mass shooter survives a head shot with extensive brain damage, I doubt that they will be fit to stand trial.

Gunshot wounds to the head can be challenging for doctors to treat.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 4:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It has happened before though. However, you are right in the vast majority of circumstances.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (fit to stand trial, killed 3)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (only killed two in this case, might be fit to stand trial eventually)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 7:48 pm

James411 wrote:
You would think a gun shot to head would quickly knock someone unconscious but I do not think that is true. For example Williams Atchison shot himself with a large caliber weapon orally.

According to a police officer he was still able to move his head and look at him so maybe he was conscious.  And the shooting happened near 9 am but his death certificate list him as expiring at 4:25 pm I think.

Tbh 9mm isn't really large caliber, more like medium caliber (along with .380 and .32Acp), although it usually would kill most people if they got headshotted with it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 am

Matti and Pekka basically used pea shooters and Dylans gun wasn't especially large calibre.

People like to relish the apparent fact that Dylan would've been painfully aware of what was going on. But think about this; a punch in the face can knock you the fuck out and you won't even be awake for the next ten minutes, so imagine a bullet. Dylan was brain dead the moment the bullet left the barrel.

I heard of some guy from Africa that shot himself in the head with a .22, but it didn't work, so he just picked up an unspecified type of rifle and just shot himself again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Do you think doctors are really doing their best to save them?
Back to top Go down
thedarkmessiah

Contribution Points : 49120
Forum Reputation : 60

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 5:18 am

Because some like masturbating too much to commit suicide.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
James411

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 11:59 am

This is going to be a morbid question.

But if somebody picked up a gun and shot themselves in the head, would they feel the bullet going into their brain and exiting and I guess air enter your brain or would you just go unconscious. Can you still feel pain when unconscious??
Back to top Go down
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Contribution Points : 70816
Forum Reputation : 95

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am

James411 wrote:
This is going to be a morbid question.

But if somebody picked up a gun and shot themselves in the head, would they feel the bullet going into their brain and exiting and I guess air enter your brain or would you just go unconscious. Can you still feel pain when unconscious??
According to this article below if you won´t even hear the 'bang' from the gun before going unconcious because it takes the brain around 150-200 milliseconds to register what is going on we are technically not living in the presents since our perfection is those 200 milliseconds delayed, even our nervous system is slow to react it reacts on I think it was 1.5 meters per seconds that is why when you stomp your toe into a piece of furniture you don´t feel it immediately but you know and might even say aloud "here comes the pain" because of the delay, sorry a bit off topic just thought it was interesting in regards of how out nervous system works also we don´t have nerves in our brains that is why doctors also can perform brain surgery on concious people it´s the tissue around the brain that has nerves.

Anyways here is the article.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And for the main question I recently read that the people who survive handgun shots to the head usually are hit at an angle so the bullet doesn´t fully penetrate only the outer part of the brain which doctors can possibly save a person from, the times where doctors can´t do anything is as soon as the bullet goes through the middle of the brain then there are too much damage done to be repaired You could look up some brain scans of gunshot wounds to the head by handgun and see what I am talking about and obviously if the brainstem was hit it´s instant death there might not even be much blood as you might have seen in some cases because the brain stem controls stuff like breathing and heart beat so the heart stop pumping blood.

Back to top Go down
James411

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 5:42 pm

That is true sometimes pain can be delayed. I am not a doctor but I wonder if people under strong chemicals like adrenaline are also able to not feel pain as quickly.

If you wont even hear the bang, if you might not even feel yourself pull the trigger because the bullet is faster than the nervous system communicating the sense of touch I think
Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 40334
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 2:19 pm

It's all about how you shoot yourself: through the heart, mouth, and side of head have different likelihoods of successful suicide and time it takes to die, from instant to a few minutes. For example, Nathaniel Berhow shot the side of his head (some news report speculated he was more influenced by how suicide is shown in media than by what is most lethal,) and was knocked brain-dead but lived until they pulled his plug the next day. A similar case occured in 2000, with Wikipedia saying the student "has been in a coma ever since," although it's no doubt outdated by now.

QuestionMark and BlackAndWhiteKittenz like this post

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 61039
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm

Guest wrote:
Do you think doctors are really doing their best to save them?
Yes. As much as they would hate the person they are trying to help, they can't just leave them to die just because of what the person has done.

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 15871
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 1:41 am

The most horrific failed suicides are the ones where they blast the front of their faces off,.but don't cause a fatal injury , except probably from infection later on.

Hideki Tojo asked a doctor the best place to shoot himself and was told the heart, he only managed to injure himself, was captured and then executed by the USA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?   Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do some shooters end up in the hospital and other die on the scene?
Page 1 of 1