Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Visiting the memorial

Go down 
+2
Screamingophelia
Wildchild
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wildchild

Wildchild

Contribution Points : 59095
Forum Reputation : 0

Visiting the memorial  Empty
PostSubject: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 8:04 pm

I’ll be in Denver over the next week and plan on visiting the memorial. I am a very respectful person so I won’t be drawing attention to myself or anything. I’ve read before that getting anywhere near the actual school will surely result in an interaction with a law officer. As much as I want to get close to the school, I know that is not within reason.
My question is, can you see the school from the memorial? Is there a right or wrong way of entering the memorial/park? Any other advice or things to keep in mind would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 8:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Can help you and answer your questions! Smile
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 8:59 pm

hvernon wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Can help you and answer your questions! Smile

I sure can! Smile

They are pretty strict about going near the school and while the park kind of melts into to, if you’re loitering too close you may raise suspicions.

There is no “right” way to enter the park and the memorial is right next to Rebel Hill, where the crosses were.

You can see the school from the hill. The views are really beautiful.

Let me know if you have any questions!?

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 59390
Forum Reputation : 725

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 12:04 am

Wildchild wrote:
I’ll be in Denver over the next week and plan on visiting the memorial. I am a very respectful person so I won’t be drawing attention to myself or anything. I’ve read before that getting anywhere near the actual school will surely result in an interaction with a law officer. As much as I want to get close to the school, I know that is not within reason.
My question is, can you see the school from the memorial? Is there a right or wrong way of entering the memorial/park? Any other advice or things to keep in mind would be greatly appreciated.

The best way to drive to the memorial is to turn onto SB Pierce from WB Bowles and take your first right, its into the park NOT the stoplight at Fair into the school the next turn (trust me don't even try to pull in there and
JeffCo is verrrryy active on Pierce) iit'll take you into Clement Park you literally pass the school from the north side. So you can see the school from very close as you drive in, park at the closest spot to the memorial and you'll be entering the designated public entrance:-)
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150640
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm

A friend of mine made it inside the school twice (legally) - once by participating in the memorial walk and again by seeing a student play. This was several years ago, mind you.

Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 3:49 pm

I’ve been in the school once and I’ve been very close to it during an event once and didn’t get any weird looks or anything like that. I actually got a bunch of hugs. However I just don’t want to encourage people just to go near the school willy-nilly...

milennialrebelette

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I’ve been in the school once and I’ve been very close to it during an event once and didn’t get any weird looks or anything like that. I actually got a bunch of hugs. However I just don’t want to encourage people just to go near the school willy-nilly...

Thanks everyone :-) I know people want to be in/near the school. There's definitely ways to do it but.... the student body and community really prefer people don't. @@screamingophelia is part of the community now and has been there for community events which is totally different and legit amd awesome. Just random visitors.... if other people in town vvisiting isit the memorial the way I described you'll be able to see the school well without being on property and see the memorial. Its a win win for everyone :-) :-)
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150640
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 pm

milennialrebelette wrote:
I know people want to be in/near the school. There's definitely ways to do it but.... the student body and community really prefer people don't.

Yes, a Columbine teacher once told me that people there really hate it when folks from out of town treat the school as a ghoulish tourist attraction. We're all morbidly curious, but there are some boundaries that shouldn't be crossed.

My friend who did it asked me if I would consider going myself, and I had to tell her that I didn't think I could justify it. That being said, I don't judge her. At least she did it legally.

milennialrebelette

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 3:00 am

LPorter101 wrote:
I know people want to be in/near the school. There's definitely ways to do it but.... the student body and community really prefer people don't.

Yes, a Columbine teacher once told me that people there really hate it when folks from out of town treat the school as a ghoulish tourist attraction. We're all morbidly curious, but there are some boundaries that shouldn't be crossed.

My friend who did it asked me if I would consider going myself, and I had to tell her that I didn't think I could justify it. That being said, I don't judge her. At least she did it legally.

Yep. Right after the shooting when my siblinga were there, people were super super protective. There was buses of people who would drive by and take pictures or try to get inro the school. My brother who graduated in 02 said kids including him and his friends would tell at people like this and reporters who were too pushy and throw food and stuff.

When i was there it had died down but that attitude wasn't gone. Ive told this story here before but the summer i moved back to my moms and went to the school to register and transfer i was walking down thhall and a teacher came out and started yellong at me to get out, strangers weren't welcome, etc. As a young teen who just moved back after years and felt lost andalone already I was in tears trying to explain why I was there and he thought I was lying (Im tall and looked older as a teenl Mr.. D rushed up and protected me, he was like no I know her! She's starting school here and took me to the right office. I dunno if he recognized me from church or if it was because he knew my siblings or even if my mom had mentioned it to him. But it really sruck with me and is one of so many great memories of Mr. D (even though he is not well liked on this board)
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 am

LPorter101 wrote:

Yep. Right after the shooting when my siblinga were there, people were super super protective. There was buses of people who would drive by and take pictures or try to get inro the school.  My brother who graduated in 02 said kids including him and his friends would tell at people like this and reporters who were too pushy and throw food and stuff.

When i was there it had died down but that attitude wasn't gone. Ive told this story here before but the summer i moved back to my moms and went to the school to register and transfer i was walking down thhall and a teacher came out and started yellong at me to get out, strangers weren't welcome, etc. As a young teen who just moved back after years and felt lost andalone already I was in tears trying to explain why I was there and he thought I was lying (Im tall and looked older as a teenl Mr.. D rushed up and protected me, he was like no I know her! She's starting school here and took me to the right office. I dunno if he recognized me from church or if it was because he knew my siblings or even if my mom had mentioned it to him. But it really sruck with me and is one of so many great memories of Mr. D (even though he is not well liked on this board)

I like hearing your stories about DeAngelis. I for one do not have good thoughts about him, but truthfully I have never met the man. I just base it off what i have seen online. So to hear someone who actually interacted with him giving some positive stories about him is nice

milennialrebelette

milennialrebelette

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 am

Lizpuff wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

Yep. Right after the shooting when my siblinga were there, people were super super protective. There was buses of people who would drive by and take pictures or try to get inro the school.  My brother who graduated in 02 said kids including him and his friends would tell at people like this and reporters who were too pushy and throw food and stuff.

I like hearing your stories about DeAngelis.  I for one do not have good thoughts about him, but truthfully I have never met the man.  I just base it off what i have seen online.  So to hear someone who actually interacted with him giving some positive stories about him is nice

Thanks!!! His family and mine have known each other.. a really long time since we've all attended Cabrini together. Before the shooting we only had positive interactions with him amd my siblings say they only had good experiences with him. Mind you my sister was definitely a "popular" cheerleader but my brother was mpre of an "outcast" who wrestled freshman year but quit and was into computers and stuff and honestly hated Columbine. When i was there after and since we've kept in touch i can say he's not perfect because no one is but he's humble and has a huge heart.  He was so great with me stepping in to help make sure I graduated since Hawai'i piblic schools are awful and way behind JeffCo. He was so helpful when my mom was sick and I was taking care of her in high school and after she died shortly after i graduated. I watched him step in and try to promote equality as much as possible even when other teachers didn't  like when a varsity athlete was caught bullying another student Mr. D wouldnt let him play the rest of the year which was pretty huge since he was a senior and planning on going to college to play. I can't speak to mostakes he made before the shooting but he is a really good man.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am

Lizpuff wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

I like hearing your stories about DeAngelis.  I for one do not have good thoughts about him, but truthfully I have never met the man.  I just base it off what i have seen online.  So to hear someone who actually interacted with him giving some positive stories about him is nice

Thanks!!! His family and mine have known each other.. a really long time since we've all attended Cabrini together. Before the shooting we only had positive interactions with him amd my siblings say they only had good experiences with him. Mind you my sister was definitely a "popular" cheerleader but my brother was mpre of an "outcast" who wrestled freshman year but quit and was into computers and stuff and honestly hated Columbine. When i was there after and since we've kept in touch i can say he's not perfect because no one is but he's humble and has a huge heart.  He was so great with me stepping in to help make sure I graduated since Hawai'i piblic schools are awful and way behind JeffCo. He was so helpful when my mom was sick and I was taking care of her in high school and after she died shortly after i graduated. I watched him step in and try to promote equality as much as possible even when other teachers didn't  like when a varsity athlete was caught bullying another student Mr. D wouldnt let him play the rest of the year which was pretty huge since he was a senior and planning on going to college to play. I can't speak to mostakes he made before the shooting but he is a really good man.

I know for me, I didn't really think much of him until I saw some interviews after the shooting. I read the statements he gave to police on his actions that day in the 11k, but in these interviews he put himself in a much more active role in the shooting. In the 11k statement he gave on the 20th he was in the office and basically walked out the doors during the shooting. Well in the interview he all of a sudden found himself face to face with a shooter and Sanders took a bullet for him. Dive bombing himself in front of DeAngelis to protect him.

I know the latter account is not real at all. It just bothers me he would put that out there I guess.

milennialrebelette

milennialrebelette

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 pm

One of the reasons they now want to tear down the school is because it has to stay so locked down with people still sneaking and breaking in... i just found out about this so I'll make a new post if there isnt one.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 9:03 pm

I am torn on Mr. D. On one hand there are many people I really like that love him. He was kind to me when I met him which means a lot and I think he was in an incredibly tenuous situation when the shooting happened because there was no blue print at all, not to state the old cliche, but it's true. I also believe when he said after the shooting he went out to the skate park and spoke to the kids who still felt like they didn't fit in and no one cared about them.. I feel like he did care. I think we all wish in hindsight that someone saw whatever eric and dylan were going through and cared enough to do something drastic to stop them.. but no one knew the extent of it, i think if the people who knew and loved them knew they were going to do something like this they could have done ANYTHING to stop it. So Mr. D did what he could after for the kids he could help.

What Liz says rings true and when I have seen him speak about the shooting he doesn't talk about being anywhere near Coach Sanders, but other times he does, but I have spoken to people who are survivors who said they didn't start truly remembering anything until months after... we know that if you compare current interviews to what was said in the 11k, stories change and evolve, it is the human mind.

I think there was a bullying issue and I think there was favoritism. I am not sure how he could not have known about any troubles with Eric and Dylan considering they were suspended with other students and they did go to various authority figures regarding some harassment etc.. I don't know how he could say he never really heard of them. Eric was a good student from what I understand and Dylan did activities in the theatre and stuff.. so surely he must have heard of them somewhat after 4 years. I don't know how can deny this.

I also am not in love with the fact that people like Zach, Nate and Brooks couldn't walk in graduation... but he said on the anniversary that the class of 1999 was the hardest hit and how his heart broke so much for them and I believe him.

I wish he would have talked about perhaps why he thought the shooting happened or maybe spoke to Eric and Dylans parents, maybe he did and the public didn't know, it was his school at the time and there was a ton of anger, like Devon said in an interview from what I recall she said it was even hard to go to a church if you were friends with one of them, like she was, because it was all "Jesus forgives everyone, but them..."

There has been forgiveness from many people who went to the school. There are even friendships no one expected like from Coni and Sue, but we can't expect that from everyone.  My god Patrick Ireland said he forgave them 4 days after... but he is rare.

Contribution Points : 91031
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

I know for me, I didn't really think much of him until I saw some interviews after the shooting.  I read the statements he gave to police on his actions that day in the 11k, but in these interviews he put himself in a much more active role in the shooting.  In the 11k statement he gave on the 20th he was in the office and basically walked out the doors during the shooting.  Well in the interview he all of a sudden found himself face to face with a shooter and Sanders took a bullet for him.  Dive bombing himself in front of DeAngelis to protect him.

I know the latter account is not real at all.  It just bothers me he would put that out there I guess.  
Frank DeAngelis refuses to acknowledge still that his environment back in the 90s contributed to a lot of bullying and fighting. Until DeAngelis admits he made a mistake and take responsibility for the environment he created then a lot of us are still going to have low opinions of him. Columbine was basically a daycare for the jocks and the cheerleaders and by that i mean they can get away with whatever they want and suffer no consequences. It's BS and every student should be treated the same.

PostSubject: Re: Visiting the memorial    Visiting the memorial  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Visiting the memorial
Page 1 of 1