Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?

Go down 
+5
tragedy79
deelightful
Mr_Chagrin
Wideawake
fatlittleparasite
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Empty
PostSubject: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Do you think Dylan got down to 140 pounds because he was depressed and had stopped eating cereal in mixing bowls by the time NBK came around?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I think that his weight loss was a very significant indicator of his depression, yes. I remember that I either didn't eat much at all, or ate a lot in one sitting back when I was depressed. I lost maybe 10-15kgs in the space of a very short time that way. I've always said that all of my energy went to being numb/sad/heavy-feeling, so my body was functioning on its reserves in a sense. I don't think Dylan necessarily stopped eating. I just think that depression is a very powerful black hole that attempts to soak up everything that can remotely provide energy or a better feeling, thus leading to things like weight loss.
Back to top Go down
fatlittleparasite

Contribution Points : 98252
Forum Reputation : 4

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 9:09 pm

I think it's because he didn't eat enough KFC.

Also, did he actually lose weight or did he just have a thin build?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 pm

I think his drivers license had him weighing 180 pounds or so, whilst his autopsy report had him weighing 140? I was pondering whether or not that may have been from depression.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 pm

thedragonrampant wrote:
I just think that depression is a very powerful black hole that attempts to soak up everything that can remotely provide energy or a better feeling, thus leading to things like weight loss.
Good observation. Weight loss (or gain) and erratic sleep patterns are almost always associated with depression. One look at Dylan Klebold without his duster on and anyone with a shred of empathy or compassion would have been concerned for the kid. Maybe that was another reason he liked wearing it so much -- covered up his boniness.
Back to top Go down
fatlittleparasite

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm surprised Tom and Sue never caught on. 40 pounds lost is a huge difference! I'd wonder if something was up medically if my kid lost 40 pounds when he was already a healthy size.
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 102351
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 11:42 pm

fatlittleparasite wrote:
I'm surprised Tom and Sue never caught on. 40 pounds lost is a huge difference! I'd wonder if something was up medically if my kid lost 40 pounds when he was already a healthy size.
We really don't know for a fact that he lost 40 pounds though. People have lied on their driver's licenses before. I think he looked quite a bit heavier in previous years, but that may have been before he shot up in height. I have several cousins who are about the same height as Dylan, and I can tell you that it is very easy for them to reach the point that they appear sickeningly skinny. Not to say that Dylan didn't lose the weight, I just don't know that this was confirmed. Also, if he lost a large amount of weight over a long period of time, it would have been far less noticeable.
Back to top Go down
fatlittleparasite

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 am

Wideawake wrote:
fatlittleparasite wrote:
We really don't know for a fact that he lost 40 pounds though. People have lied on their driver's licenses before. I think he looked quite a bit heavier in previous years, but that may have been before he shot up in height. I have several cousins who are about the same height as Dylan, and I can tell you that it is very easy for them to reach the point that they appear sickeningly skinny. Not to say that Dylan didn't lose the weight, I just don't know that this was confirmed. Also, if he lost a large amount of weight over a long period of time, it would have been far less noticeable.
That's true. I'm on the tall side for a female and when I was young I often got strange looks (and rude comments) because my thin build was just enhanced visually by a large growth spurt.

Plus, I think Tom and Sue would catch on to something like that, for some reason, and try and figure out what was making it happen. I never thought Dylan looked sickeningly skinny anyway. Yeah, he was a skinny guy, but it just looked like it was the norm for him. His mother seems to have the same build.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Some people lose weight, some people gain it when they are depressed. I happen to gain weight. I hate winter. Maybe Dylan hated being the chubby kid he used to be and just consciously ate less to lose weight. He did have low self esteem. seriously though that boy was skinny as hell!
Back to top Go down
Mr_Chagrin

Contribution Points : 101131

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 5:47 pm

I lost the same amount of weight from the middle to the last year of High school. I'm definitely not the same height as Dylan only about 180cm (5'11") tall, but it was very obvious to my family that I had lost weight. I went down to about 63kg (139lbs) for you Imperialists ;)

I think it's possible that Dylan lost the weight from being self-conscious of it. I recall reading somewhere that he was worried about his trench coat making him look "fat". We don't know if he was verbally abused at some point for being "fat" as her certainly was never "overweight" even.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Yep, that was in the BT transcripts.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Chagrin

Contribution Points : 101131

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Dextromethorphan wrote:
Some people lose weight, some people gain it when they are depressed. I happen to gain weight. I hate winter. Maybe Dylan hated being the chubby kid he used to be and just consciously ate less to lose weight. He did have low self esteem. seriously though that boy was skinny as hell!
Hate winter haha, I'm currently living in Northern Sweden and we get about 3-4 hours of sunlight a day currently Razz On another note I recall somewhere that Dylan was "pining" for his love.
Back to top Go down
deelightful

Contribution Points : 100085

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 12:18 am

It could have just been puberty. Didn't he have a massive growth spurt the summer between his junior and senior year? I think I read that somewhere.

Back to top Go down
tragedy79

Contribution Points : 102570

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

I think you can notice the weightl loss by looking at the picture of Dylan at the school news studio with his KMFDM shirt. It's in januari 1998, if I remember correctly. There it seems like he is of very normal stature, but in the suicide picture he looks skinny as hell. In de vids, wich are usually from senior year, he looks also pretty skinny.

I think the van break-in fucked him up really bad. Mentally and fysically.

Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 119333
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I can definitely tell he lost weight. He looks extremely thin in Radioactive Clothing and I think that was filmed just a month prior to the massacre. Even compared to his senior pictures, he looks a lot thinner.

Back to top Go down
rik75

Contribution Points : 97618
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I think Dylan was on a downward spiral. With NBK creeping ever so closer ,i doubt he ever thought about food or was concerned about his weight / health. Nothing really mattered anymore.
Only NBK mattered. All his energy was tied up with the planning of the mass murder of his fellow students and his own suicide. Maybe Sad
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

Contribution Points : 100052
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Didn't people say he had a big appetite? I remember reading that he would eat cereal out of a mixing bowl and an entire KFC bucket. Also, a friend that shared a limo with him during the prom said that he ate a huge dinner that night. So, I think he just had fast metabolism because he was a teenager and had slim parents. He doesn't look THAT thin to me, not for a 17 year old boy anyway.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:08 pm

maninthebox wrote:
Didn't people say he had a big appetite? I remember reading that he would eat cereal out of a mixing bowl and an entire KFC bucket. Also, a friend that shared a limo with him during the prom said that he ate a huge dinner that night. So, I think he just had fast metabolism because he was a teenager and had slim parents. He doesn't look THAT thin to me, not for a 17 year old boy anyway.

He looks very skinny in the "Breakfast Run" vid, especially at the end. His arms are like pencils. Same with the death photo.
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Well, I mean, he was very skinny, but it's not like he was an anorexic. I've known a lot of boys who were as skinny as he was at that age.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 pm

maninthebox wrote:
Well, I mean, he was very skinny, but it's not like he was an anorexic. I've known a lot of boys who were as skinny as he was at that age.

That's true. But every time I see how skinny he was, especially in the two instances I mentioned, my heart feels a little sting. He just looks so weak and vulnerable. They both do. I suppose you're right that's true for a lot of teenagers; they are after-all still children pretty much.

Back to top Go down
maninthebox

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I know what you mean, I feel sorry for him cause he's looks weak and awkward with his pointy elbows and slouching shoulders Sad I just want to give him a big sandwich or something.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 97489

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 11:28 pm

He looks much better the junior year and before, with a bit more weight on him. There's so much legs to him that he looks dangly when he walks, too. He may have been uncomfortable in his lanky body.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?   Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was Dylan so skinny because he was depressed?
Page 1 of 1