Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial

Go down 
+2
Primate Murder
Carnifex879
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68797
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Empty
PostSubject: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Article Link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Text of the article:

"Three psychiatric experts have declared Dimitrios Pagourtzis, the teenager accused of the 2018 mass shooting at Santa Fe High School, incompetent to stand trial according to the Houston Chronicle. Pagourtzis’ trial was scheduled to begin Feb. 18 in Fort Bend County and may be delayed.
Pagourtzis, 19, is charged with capital murder and attempted murder in the shooting rampage that killed 10 people and wounded 13 in May 2018.
The Chronicle reports psychiatric evaluations took place over the last several weeks, according to the suspect’s attorney.
Defense attorney Nicholas Poehl said prosecutors will not contest the findings, the Galveston County Daily News reported.
A spokesman for the Galveston County District Attorney’s Office didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment, the AP reported.
Poehl said a formal court order declaring his client incompetent was expected later this week.
Pagourtzis will be sent to a state mental health facility, where he will remain for four to six months.
This is a developing story."

What are your thoughts on this?

Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 64633
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 2:23 pm

People like me are on suicide watch rn.

School Massacre Archives

Contribution Points : 66944
Forum Reputation : 248

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Nikolas Cruz seems less mentally stable than Dimitrios Pagourtzis, yet he is still fit to stand trial. I don't really see a good reason to delay the trial at all.

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120928
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 6:00 pm

School Massacre Archives wrote:
Nikolas Cruz seems less mentally stable than Dimitrios Pagourtzis, yet he is still fit to stand trial. I don't really see a good reason to delay the trial at all.

Agreed. I'm honestly shocked they declared him unfit at all, but we've been given so little information to work with that it's entirely within the realm of plausibility that there are events behind the scenes that have led them to make this decision.

The cynic in me, though, says they're doing this purely to spite Pagourtzis and demean him.

EsalvatoryOrbalofJTruth likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 7:14 pm

I am kind of surprised, but then again we don't really know much about him or the shooting.
Back to top Go down
EricsToastInTheCaf

Contribution Points : 57013
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am

I think it's unfortunate as closure is delayed for the victims and punishment is delayed for Pagourtzis. I believe he should be charged as an adult and the death penalty should be considered but it's not up to me or us. Hopefully he serves time in prison without any chance of ever being released. I believe he would be a repeat offender and a very dangerous one.

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 6:59 pm

EricsToastInTheCaf wrote:
I think it's unfortunate as closure is delayed for the victims and punishment is delayed for Pagourtzis. I believe he should be charged as an adult and the death penalty should be considered but it's not up to me or us. Hopefully he serves time in prison without any chance of ever being released. I believe he would be a repeat offender and a very dangerous one.
He legally can't get the death penalty also he does have a chance of parole even with life. They will let him out if he changes, but we don't know much about him
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120928
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Oh they'll never release him from prison. Even if he's considered too insane to ever stand trial they'll just hold him in a mental facility indefinitely. People get this idea in their heads from movies and TV that if someone who commits a crime goes to an asylum, that that means a get out of jail free card, but in reality people who go to those facilities typically spend more time in there then they ever would've spent in prison. If I can find the article I read on it, I'll provide it here.

EDIT: This is the article, it's now restricted from full public view but it still exists, here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

EDIT2: Full text is here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In regards to the death penalty, I don't see the point of it myself, but that's a whole different rant for a different time and place.

EsalvatoryOrbalofJTruth likes this post

Back to top Go down
NoThanks

NoThanks

Contribution Points : 44815
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 3:43 am

What makes you think he would be a repeat offender?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial   Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Santa Fe shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, found unfit to stand trial
Page 1 of 1