Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are they boys or men?

Go down 
+7
AbbyLayne
Adzybear
HanShotFirst
QuestionMark
thelmar
Screamingophelia
NoThanks
11 posters
AuthorMessage
NoThanks

NoThanks

Contribution Points : 44290
Forum Reputation : 0

Are they boys or men? Empty
PostSubject: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 4:03 am

At 17 and 18 are Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris boys or men? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 5:58 am

Young men/older adolescents

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Teenagers IMO yes 18 would be considered a YOUNG adult but I still think of myself as a kid but with adult privileges. TBH I would consider most adults are 21 and older
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 pm

tweens boys
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82782
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 pm

I didn't consider myself an adult at 18; I went through some big changes emotionally and physically between 18- 22 and didn't feel like an adult until the last year of college. I also don't remember any of my friends at that age being like adults, either. And that's both male and female. When I see 17 and 18 yr olds today, I definitely view them as kids.

Last edited by thelmar on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 pm

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Young men, but not adults. I don't consider anyone an adult at 18. For me an adult is 20-21 years of age. I'm not old enough that I view people that are 17-18 as kids, just young men. They sort have an inbetween mentality. They are not kids but not adults yet either. They're on the cusp of adulthood without still acting like they are 13.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 10:10 pm

If we want to get technical about it your brain doesn't stop developing until you're at least 25.

I do tend to think of them superficially as kids. Obviously they never made it past high school, they never went to college or held down steady jobs. I don't think that speaks to maturity.

HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64362
Forum Reputation : 1210

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 am

Boyz II Men

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60861
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Kids. 100%, IMO

AbbyLayne

Contribution Points : 41240
Forum Reputation : 193

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 7:10 pm

I can't really think of them as anything other than kids. Everytime I read their journals it strikes me again how painfully young they were.

beyond a cold sanctuary, of fire and of ice
deep in the bedrock, already here i come”

Heresy
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76161
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Teenage boys; which is to say, kids. Teenage boys are really, really, really dumb.

They had a similar problem as Kurt Cobain, which is that they never entirely made it out of high school mentally. Ahhh, the 90s...
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58574
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 pm

They were still boys. The teens are such painful years.

Like Questionmark already commented, the adult brain has yet to fully develop until the mid-20’s. The last portion of the brain to fully develop is the prefrontal cortex, the decision making/impulse control portion of the brain. Hence why teens drive recklessly and experiment with drugs and alcohol and not see the dangers of either.
Back to top Go down
Futility

Contribution Points : 38212
Forum Reputation : 105

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 7:17 am

Hmm...here in Germany you are fully accountable of your actions After you reached 18. But it is possible to be trialed as a youth till you reach 21. In their cases, i would say that they are older adoloscent Men. I dont know how the Law is in Colorado,but in Germany Klebold would be trialed as a youth(he was 17 during the attack) while Harris would be trialed as an fully accountable adoloscent. But, depends on how the court would see his development-State and ability to know right from wrong,he could be trialed as a youth too. Klebold would got 10 years (maximal punishment for youths in Germany) while Harris(if trialed as an adoloscent) would had got "Life" (in Germany you are able to get probation After serving 15 years in Prison, most people who gets life sentences spent 15-18 years in Prison, but there are Cases who literally died while inside,like serial-killer Pommerenke who spent almost 5 Decades in Prison) For Klebold,the Court could ordered what is call "Sicherungsverwahrung"(preventive-detention? Correct me if im wrong), after he served his time,but he could get it away with accepting to seek treatment while serving his Term.There are two kinds of preventive-detention,one is mentioned in the sentence,this means that After serving time in prison the condemned cant be released before psychatrist says that he is no longer a threat to society. The second Kind of preventive-detention is mentioned in the sentence too,but while in Prison the condemned is able to seek treatment to get preventive-detention "away" so he can be released After serving his Time. Klebold would probably got the second one, 10 years plus preventive-detention with the opportunity to be released when he sucesfully complete therapy. Harris, trialed as an adoloscent would had become "Life" ,probably combined with preventive-detention like Klebold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 7:44 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83607
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 5:38 pm

In terms of maturity and mental state, I don't think it's as simple as being a boy or a man. The process of maturing, learning, understanding one's self and surroundings is ongoing and occurs from the moment of birth to that of death, the rate of which depends on the individual and their life experiences. Some adults seem far less mature than some adolescents, but that is only subjective. Looking at Dylan and Eric specifically, based on their actions and writing, I would consider them lacking maturity in some ways, they certainly had not developed much in the empathy department. Whether they would go on to do so, who can say.

PostSubject: Re: Are they boys or men?   Are they boys or men? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are they boys or men?
Page 1 of 1