Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Vepr

Contribution Points : 41170
Forum Reputation : 25

Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

A lot of the survivors are entering middle age, I wouldn't be surprised to see more drug overdoses and suicides (aka deaths of dispair) in the coming years.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193746
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 6:46 pm

That is sadly true, but is there a time where a death due to suicide or drugs can stop being blamed on Columbine? Are they considered victims of the shooting after a certain amount of time? 

It's the catalyst of course for so many issues but I Just wonder if there is a time we can stop.

Jollyhelpful

Jollyhelpful

Contribution Points : 66619
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 9:21 pm

I guess that depends on what you qualify as a Columbine victim. Those who were actually there that day or directly affected by the shooting? Because those numbers will obviously decline over the coming years. If you are including those who are tangentially affected like say Sol Pais or Randy Stair, Then who knows when the next self-proclaimed "follower" of E&D might sprout up and do something stupid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 9:40 pm

It's really hard to say. Austin Eubanks died in May of 2019 of an overdose. He struggled with Opioid addiction due to the shooting. I would consider his death a result of the lasting effects of the shooting. And it happened 20 years after the shooting. I don't think the deaths will stop any time soon, personally.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 10:13 pm

hvernon wrote:
It's really hard to say. Austin Eubanks died in May of 2019 of an overdose. He struggled with Opioid addiction due to the shooting. I would consider his death a result of the lasting effects of the shooting. And it happened 20 years after the shooting. I don't think the deaths will stop any time soon, personally.

I agree, the effects long lasting indeed and their trauma will in some way effect the lives of those around them... not even saying in a negative way, but learning that your mom was a survivor of a horrible school shooting and that is why maybe she will be more over protective of you or react to things differently than other moms is something to think about. 

my mom was a child of an alcoholic who could get pretty nasty so if I go for a second glass of wine she gets incredibly nervous, even though to me, it is not a big deal.

Then I think about if Byron and Kevin have kids and how they may parent different after what their brothers did. How do you start that conversation about Columbine? I mean they are going to learn about it one day...

Vepr

Contribution Points : 41170
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
hvernon wrote:

I agree, the effects long lasting indeed and their trauma will in some way effect the lives of those around them... not even saying in a negative way, but learning that your mom was a survivor of a horrible school shooting and that is why maybe she will be more over protective of you or react to things differently than other moms is something to think about. 

my mom was a child of an alcoholic who could get pretty nasty so if I go for a second glass of wine she gets incredibly nervous, even though to me, it is not a big deal.

Then I think about if Byron and Kevin have kids and how they may parent different after what their brothers did. How do you start that conversation about Columbine? I mean they are going to learn about it one day...

Byron already has kids;  (Pic removed)

Last edited by Vepr on Fri May 22, 2020 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
downwardspiral

downwardspiral

Contribution Points : 41450
Forum Reputation : 306

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 12:04 am

It depends on how you define causality. There's a question of whether a suicide, overdose, etc. 20+ years after the fact is caused by the shooters, in the same way that someone who was shot to death had their death directly caused by the shooters. In any case, the "deaths of despair" aren't included in the official death toll, either, because the effect is too hard to quantify. There's too many other factors there when we're talking about a period encompassing decades. Certainly Columbine was one contributing factor, but it probably wasn't the only factor. If it was being tried in liability court they would assign a percentage of responsibility for damages, so I guess it could be considered that way, but then that opens the debate as to what the percentage would be.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 7:34 am

Vepr wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
hvernon wrote:

Byron already has kids;  

Just a reminder we can’t post pictures like that here. Those are personal,  from social media I believe

Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49502
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 9:30 am

Vepr wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
hvernon wrote:

Byron already has kids;  

Wow, the kid looks exactly like Byron Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 9:45 am

1) 40 isn't middle age.
2) Columbine was so long ago I doubt it would affect them that greatly now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 9:48 am

Vepr wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
hvernon wrote:

Byron already has kids;  

Please read the rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?   Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you think 4/20/99 is done claiming victims?
Page 1 of 1