Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If Columbine didn't happen

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ladyloki616

Ladyloki616

Contribution Points : 42837
Forum Reputation : 0

If Columbine didn't happen Empty
PostSubject: If Columbine didn't happen   If Columbine didn't happen Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 7:02 pm

I sometimes wonder how many school shootings we would have if Columbine never happened? I know we would still get school shootings but ones that become infamous like Columbine.
I feel like Virginia tech might still have happened maybe? I don't know why I keep thinking Virginia tech happened in 2002 but I know it happened in 2007.

It only does take one really bad school shooting for someone to try and outdo them. The way media would glamourised it would also cause it as well.

Is there any school shooting you think would still happen if Columbine never happened?

Just something I was thinking after watching killer kids - school killers.

Back to top Go down
downwardspiral

downwardspiral

Contribution Points : 41475
Forum Reputation : 306

PostSubject: Re: If Columbine didn't happen   If Columbine didn't happen Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States_(before_2000)[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There were plenty of school shootings before Columbine, the number of them was increasing before Columbine (although that could also be a function of increased US population), and the media attention on them was also increasing before Columbine. The motives for school shootings also remained pretty consistent among shooters both pre- and post-Columbine.

So I don't think that the number of school shootings was really increased much or at all by Columbine. Sure, some shooters claimed to be inspired by Columbine, but that's sort of a chicken and egg problem. Were they inspired to shoot up their school by Columbine, or did they identify with Columbine because they already wanted to shoot up their school and it just so happens to be the most well-known school shooting?

The increase in the rate of school shootings tracks with two things -- deinstitutionalization, and the more widespread use of psychotropic medication in children and adolescents. I think those two things are more reliable contributing causes, but that's just my opinion.

As for specific shootings that would or would not have happened, well, that introduces the "butterfly effect" type of question, so I don't think we can say for sure with any of those.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Columbine didn't happen   If Columbine didn't happen Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2020 7:06 pm

I highly doubt Virginia Tech would've still happened. Seung's obsession stemmed directly from Columbine. He had zero interest in school shootings or mass murder beforehand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Columbine didn't happen   If Columbine didn't happen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If Columbine didn't happen
Page 1 of 1