Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mid-attack internet / technology usage

Go down 
+3
dyonqqr
lognifiiskurk
Killisaki
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 40359
Forum Reputation : 175

Mid-attack internet / technology usage Empty
PostSubject: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2021 10:41 pm

I wanted to make a thread to compile and talk about attacks that involved the use of social media / the internet during or throughout the attack. This does not include posting manifestos beforehand.
For example:

The first half of the Christchurch shooting was livestreamed on Facebook Live.
Jakraphanth Thomma posted videos, pictures, and even memes about himself during his rampage.
Armando Hernandez posted videos of his attack at a mall.
Stephan Balliet livestreamed his embarassing attack on Twitch.
Satoshi Uematsu committed the Sagamihara stabbings then posted this to his twitter.

These don't quite fit the internet-usage criteria, but are related and interesting nevertheless:
This was unplanned, but Anton Niclas Lundin Pettersson took pictures with students who thought he was wearing a costume.
Matti Saari phoned a friend mid-shooting.
Omar Mateen talked to 911 about his motives.
James Oliver Huberty tuned a radio, seemingly looking for news reports of his massacre.
David Katz's shooting spree was incidentally livestreamed at the gaming tournament.
The West Freeway Church of Christ shooting was incidentally livestreamed by the church.
The Saint Joseph's Oratory stabbing was incidentally livestreamed by a TV company.
A bystander livestreamed the 2021 Boulder shooting.

Last edited by dyonqqr on Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

QuestionMark likes this post

Back to top Go down
Killisaki
Top Contributor
Killisaki

Contribution Points : 42468
Forum Reputation : 93

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 11:10 am

Ian David Long posted on Facebook and Instagram during the shooting this

"Said he was a wolf, only the difference
Was, a wolf’s skin was hairy on the outside,
His on the inside;"
- John Webster
"I cannot allow the cheap fireworks of some amateur terrorist to trigger my beatiful apocalyptic display!"
-Dr. Kabapu
"But hey, you wouldn't have signed on if you weren't planning to becoming a martyr. So let's get to work."
-Mannagaer lol

QuestionMark, f0rgotten and dyonqqr like this post

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 61064

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Not a mass shooting but Jahar Tsarnaev tweeted "I'm a stress free kinda guy" and liked a tweet about the Boston Bombing while hiding from the police

dyonqqr likes this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Vester Lee Flanagan II, gunman who killed two CBS reporters and injured one more, recorded the act in
first person and later published the video, which is still available on archive.org.

Anders Behring Breivik wanted to livestream (or record and later upload) himself beheading a politician as propaganda but due to the state of the internet in 2011, this was impossible. With the recent livestreamed attacks, however, it seems his dream is coming to pass.

EricsToastInTheCaf likes this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Another related example: Charles Whitman brought this radio with him to listen to reports of his attack, similar to Huberty. The radio is the small black box.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

EricsToastInTheCaf and Engel like this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 7:56 am

Jon Romano (2004 Columbia High School shooting) texted his friends from the bathroom, "I’M IN SCHOOL WITH SHOTGUN" and possibly "Get out."
Omar Mateen checked Facebook to see if his shooting went viral.

Relevant, but not quite the internet: Tim Kretschmer wanted to use the radio in the car he hijacked, probably to hear news reports of his own shooting. The driver lied and said it didn't work.

EricsToastInTheCaf likes this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Kao (2019 Songshan attempted stabbing) livestreamed the incident. I have not been able to find the livestream, but here are screenshots.
(Source.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Luiz Henrique de Castro's brother called him the day of the attack but he did not tell him where he was.  It was the last communication Luiz had with anyone.  It could be that he has been on the way to commit the shotting.
Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2021 11:43 am

I changed the title to internet / technology usage because it seemed more relevant.
Anders Breivik listened to the radio as he drove from Oslo to Utøya, on which the stations suspected his attack was by Al Qaeda.
Back to top Go down
EricsToastInTheCaf

Contribution Points : 56613
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 4:32 am

Grant Amato used his dead fathers hand to unlock his dad's phone and then used the phone to lure his brother home to kill him, too. More of a family annihilation than a mass shooting but still one of the more disturbing cases I've come across.

dyonqqr likes this post

Back to top Go down
CSIAgent

CSIAgent

Contribution Points : 27008
Forum Reputation : 222

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 12:25 pm

dyonqqr wrote:
Kao (2019 Songshan attempted stabbing) livestreamed the incident. I have not been able to find the livestream, but here are screenshots.
(Source.)
Did he get to stab anyone?

Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 61064

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 7:43 pm

Hugo Jackson (Attempted Eslöv School Stabber) livestreamed his attack on Twitch. No-one was killed and a teacher was stabbed but fortunately survived.
Philip Manshaus also tried to livestream his attack but his GoPro failed (much like his actual attack) and so the footage is now lost to camera failure.

CSIAgent

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 9:34 pm

lognifiiskurk wrote:
Hugo Jackson (Attempted Eslöv School Stabber) livestreamed his attack on Twitch. No-one was killed and a teacher was stabbed but fortunately survived.
Philip Manshaus also tried to livestream his attack but his GoPro failed (much like his actual attack) and so the footage is now lost to camera failure.
A friend of Hugo recently did a stabbing of his own
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Engel

Contribution Points : 36325
Forum Reputation : 197

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 10:10 pm

Matthew Murray called his cousin while driving between the Youth With A Mission and New Life Church shootings

Mohamed Merah (spree killer) recorded his shootings on his GoPro/body camera and sent the footage to a news station the day before he was killed by police

I guess this isn't mid-attack, but Howard Unruh was called by a journalist while in his apartment

"Humanity is overrated, isn't it?" - Matti Saari

"Live in virtue, no desire
And in the grave an angel's choir
You look to heaven and wonder why
No one can see them in the sky

Just as the clouds have gone to sleep
Angels can be seen in heaven's keep
Alone in fear, they question why
Goddamn, not an angel when I die
" - Engel, Rammstein (English version)
Back to top Go down
Mass_Killer_

Mass_Killer_

Contribution Points : 20635
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 11:09 pm

Jakrapanth Thomma - I did a broadcast between Facebook and shared memes during the shooting

Malik Faisal Akram - broadcast live from the Facebook of the synagogue
Back to top Go down
Engel

Engel

Contribution Points : 36325
Forum Reputation : 197

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 10:48 pm

Mass_Killer_ wrote:
Jakrapanth Thomma - I did a broadcast between Facebook and shared memes during the shooting

Jakrapanth, you survived?

"Humanity is overrated, isn't it?" - Matti Saari

"Live in virtue, no desire
And in the grave an angel's choir
You look to heaven and wonder why
No one can see them in the sky

Just as the clouds have gone to sleep
Angels can be seen in heaven's keep
Alone in fear, they question why
Goddamn, not an angel when I die
" - Engel, Rammstein (English version)
Back to top Go down
CSIAgent

CSIAgent

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 11:14 pm

Engel wrote:
Mass_Killer_ wrote:

Jakrapanth, you survived?
the cops used full auto in building so it didnt count as a kill

Engel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid-attack internet / technology usage   Mid-attack internet / technology usage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mid-attack internet / technology usage
Page 1 of 1