Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine Memorial 15 years later

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mj2beat

Contribution Points : 94329
Forum Reputation : 24

Columbine Memorial 15 years later Empty
PostSubject: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The article with pictures about the ceremony that took place yesterday in the memorial, where Dave Sanders's daughter read the 13 names.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 97794
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 2:53 am

Apparently the memorial isn't in the best of shape these days. They rely solely on donations by the general public for maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97168
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 5:13 am

I read that it cost somewhere around $15,000 a year to maintain?

I'd have thought they should comfortably get that in a year as to not let it go shabby looking?

Perhaps donation boxes on the anniversary when people to to visit and pay their respects would help? Not that you'd go shaking a bucket in front of grieving family members or anything - but kind of like the collections they have at the back of a church. Family, friends, other visitors I'm sure would be happy to help a little where they could.

Also the school must help out with costs a little, no? Like a charity football game or something? $5 to get in part/ all monies raised go to the memorial fund?

Maybe all of these things do happen - I'm not saying they don't. I am just surprised that they are finding it difficult to get funding to maintain it when it doesn't seem a huge annual amount.

I can't recall the total cost of the memorial but I'm sure it was expensive. Perhaps it was a little ill thought out spending so much and not keeping reserves for maintenance? After all, it is only 7 years old is it not and they are struggling for funds already?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:49 am

What kind of and how much maintenance could this place need? And what needs to be maintained? The grass, flowers and trees, I guess?

I'm also wondering, are the original crosses that Greg Zanis built at this memorial too? I know Dylan and Eric's crosses were chopped all up and thrown in the trash, but what happened to the other 13 crosses? It looks like, in some of the memorial pictures, that those crosses may be there too.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 am

Jenn wrote:
What kind of and how much maintenance could this place need? And what needs to be maintained? The grass, flowers and trees, I guess?

I'm also wondering, are the original crosses that Greg Zanis built at this memorial too? I know Dylan and Eric's crosses were chopped all up and thrown in the trash, but what happened to the other 13 crosses? It looks like, in some of the memorial pictures, that those crosses may be there too.

Not too sure what happened to the original crosses. They were moved from Rebel Hill to Chapel Hill Cemetery, where they remained until the crosses were replaced with thirteen crosses made out of marble, sometime in the mid 2000's.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97168
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:23 am

There's a bit more here for what they spend the money on. Sadly, they pay some expense to remove graffiti.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 1:34 pm

I didnt know that the whole maintenance cost so much money but that money is not so hard to collect if the students of the school help with charity events and in the website it seems that they are able to receive money from companies and accept groups of volunteers. I wonder if the problem is that they are not receiving any of those big helps right now because a donation from a company and volunteers can make a difference.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 10:31 pm

I remember someone either on here or on the SBB forum saying that the writing on the memorial was being 'scratched off' or something, probably due to weather, etc.

Thanks for the website link, just donated a little bit of money. It's cool how they've set up donations through the website because I am from Australia and it allowed me to donate.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Jenn wrote:

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I knew I read that someone was interested in where the original crosses were located, since they were moved from Chapel Hill Cemetery.

Columbine victim's family ticketed while visiting memorial

I watched this video last night, seems the final resting place for the crosses is at Roxborough State Park.

Back to top Go down
Z_Splatter

Contribution Points : 96636
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:28 pm

thanks for the info! its pretty terrible that these family members got ticketed.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I didnt know that those crosses still exists. Too bad the people have to call before if they want to see them. they should be in another place then, even though, they could be more safe there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Memorial 15 years later   Columbine Memorial 15 years later Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine Memorial 15 years later
Page 1 of 1