Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?

Go down 
+3
DaisyDelRey
Jenn
Venganza
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Venganza




Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 92788
Forum Reputation : 3
Join date : 2014-03-26

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 4:22 am

Fairly random thought, but do you think perceptions of/reactions to the massacre would have been any different if they'd been members of the opposite sex?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn


Posts : 3131
Contribution Points : 119333
Forum Reputation : 1004
Join date : 2013-03-14
Location : A place where it always snows.

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 4:07 pm

If they would have been girls, I seriously doubt they would have committed that massacre. Statistics show that very rarely do females commit school shootings.

_________________
"I’ll see you in Heaven if you make the list"
Zachary Patrick Bowen (March 7, 1995-November 5, 2021).
I miss you little brother.
Back to top Go down
DaisyDelRey




Posts : 14
Contribution Points : 90673
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-06-15

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 pm

I think it would be totally different--it would have only been known as "that one shooting that was done by girls."
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat




Posts : 409
Contribution Points : 95629
Forum Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-12-21
Age : 29
Location : A dark hole from the universe

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 7:45 am

DaisyDelRey wrote:
I think it would be totally different--it would have only been known as "thatq one shooting that was done by girls."

Why? why do you think that it would be less famous for that reason?, I would like to know your opinion about it and why do you think that.

_________________
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
Venganza




Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 92788
Forum Reputation : 3
Join date : 2014-03-26

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 am

Mj2beat wrote:
DaisyDelRey wrote:
I think it would be totally different--it would have only been known as "thatq one shooting that was done by girls."

Why? why do you think that it would be less famous for that reason?, I would like to know your opinion about it and why do you think that.

Yeah, if anything I think it'd be more famous, since female school shooters are so rare.
Back to top Go down
DaisyDelRey




Posts : 14
Contribution Points : 90673
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-06-15

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 2:02 pm

I don't think it would be less famous at all. I just think the whole thing would be thought of differently--I think the fact that the shooters were female would make the perception and media depiction different.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Well, what if Eric and Dylan killed more people as girls (not that being a girl relates to that)? What if their bombs worked?
Also, Daisy, could you expand on how the media's depiction of a shooting like that would be different?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 6:13 pm

I guess their names might've been Erica and Diane?
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha


Posts : 1684
Contribution Points : 98358
Forum Reputation : 440
Join date : 2015-04-01
Location : The Masovian Lowland

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Female spree killers are very rare. Brenda Spencer and Olga Hepnarova are really the only 2 I can recall. If they did go on a rampage as females, I think they would be far more (in)famous.

We would get an NBK squared effect. People would be even more willing to justify what they done, even more willing to empathize with them, the media would be more soft on them and putting mroe blame on external factors. They would have more followers, more tribute videos, more lesbian fanfiction and Quentin Tarantino would actually make a movie about them. There would be more exposure, more copycat killings.

Really, fallout would have been even worse than what really happened.

_________________
Life is like a tram - you need to know when to get off.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101


Posts : 2811
Contribution Points : 152527
Forum Reputation : 2754
Join date : 2013-12-02
Location : South Florida

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 11:45 pm

SeeMan666 wrote:
I guess their names might've been Erica and Diane?

Or Dylanne...

_________________
Why does anyone do anything?
Back to top Go down
browneyes11

browneyes11


Posts : 314
Contribution Points : 85194
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-02-19

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 5:26 am

Sabratha wrote:
Female spree killers  are very rare. Brenda Spencer and Olga Hepnarova are really the only 2 I can recall. If they did go on a rampage as females, I think they would be far more (in)famous.

We would get an NBK squared effect. People would be even more willing to justify what they done, even more willing to empathize with them, the media would be more soft on them and putting mroe blame on external factors. They would have more followers, more tribute videos, more lesbian fanfiction and Quentin Tarantino would actually make a movie about them. There would be more exposure, more copycat killings.

Really, fallout would have been even worse than what really happened.

Could you go into further detail as to why you believe it would be worse? I'd be interested in what you have to say. Would there be more female or male copycats? Why do you think the media would be softer on them? I tend to think that because typically females aren't violent to this extreme that the media would demonize a female perpetrator more so than a male. Men are perceived as more violent, so when they commit crimes like this it isn't a huge shock. But if a female commits such a crime it completely catches everyone of guard.

_________________
-I am the shadow that ceases to be understood.
I scream for darkness, I am the light.
I yearn for passion and for the forever word “immortality”.
To experience life after death, in solitude, in compassion, in love.-
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha


Posts : 1684
Contribution Points : 98358
Forum Reputation : 440
Join date : 2015-04-01
Location : The Masovian Lowland

What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:56 pm

I think there would perhaps be a bit more female copycats, because it would be easier to identify with the shooters.

I also think there would be more male copycats, because it would be two girls (fantasy fodder) doing something brutal, violent and macho (again fantasy fodder). You can see it all the time in the media.
Also it would be easier for men to "worship" and idolize female shooters becaus they would be able to avoid all the gay connotations as well would have it easier to look at the female killers without seeing them in any way as rivals or someone that needs to be "surpassed" or bested etc. They would have been easier to follow, without the pressure to surpass the deathcount etc.

Media would be softer on them imho, because the society in general is tougher on women with sexuality, outspoken-ess and prestige seeking (bitch syndrome), but its easier on women when it comes to violence. On average all around the western world husband killers get lower sentences than wife killers. Same for many types of violent crime, when a woman gets busted for being in a volent gang, she's more often painted as a victim of the gang etc.

Quote :
I tend to think that because typically females aren't violent to this extreme that the media would demonize a female perpetrator more so than a male. (...)But if a female commits such a crime it completely catches everyone of guard.
I disagree. Precisely because its rare, the media would imho look for excuses or "easy answers" why it happened (hell, it already happened with E&D as it was). If neither would be obviously delusional or psychotic, I think the media would focus even more on bullying, bad parents, seeking to find some abuse in their biographies, or rant more about how "evil TV/games/feminism/atheism/popculture/whatever" is "poisoning the minds of the young girls of this fair country, not like in the olden days were girls were sweet and gentle" etc.

Columbine already caught everyone off guard. Two white kids from suburbia, good middle-class homes etc. That's why imho people were seeking so many "easy answers" in the first place. I think female shooters would intensify all the trends that occured with NBK as it was, both from the media-government side as well as the fanboy/fangirl/loner side.

_________________
Life is like a tram - you need to know when to get off.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?   What if Eric and Dylan had been girls? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
What if Eric and Dylan had been girls?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» And the worst Halloween costume award goes to...
» Dylan's "friends" that are girls....
» What types of girls were rejecting Eric?
» Girls that Eric dated or tried to date
» All the girls, Dylan was romantically connected in his life

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: