Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Basement Tapes Destroyed

Go down 
+83
Primate Murder
Stallo
vio1ette
Norwegian
EthanEmerson
Carnifex879
khscarymovie4part4
REBELVODKA
Jaymie
Onyx
noodlesoldier
kblu
mbiholding
jada887
SandraSmit19
properground
thelmar
rocdk
Okay-Okay
slippy123
QuestionMark
Jea
silentprocess
Cemetery Jones
Guest83142
Screamingophelia
1Mare1
InsaneIntruder
starrwilliams
jodie-b
iforgotmyoldname2
MrAdventure
FrenchObserver
Scarletmoon
Lizpuff
spidEr
ZCD99
wawbeast44
edgelord
knightzero
FIBAgent
GreenGrayDay
Jbow89
H311ish.B3ast
afrrs
EGSandrew
myshame
KatieJean1988
meowitscow
rebelgoddess
bubbles
shades
aquillina
Koltin
Archvile
ChoSeungHui
eli27
Rebdoomer
lio45
radaddio
ThoughtBox
Extanil
KitKat2013
Sabratha
em81
LPorter101
Mr_Chagrin
MysteryMan
lol
carrie12
rebgirl
Cezar
szuzanna
Jenn
philosopher_king
Draw_It_White
Wideawake
gasolinechild
deathmedic
sororityalpha
Juicy Jazzy
Gonz
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 6:23 pm

JeffCo is really shady. Don't trust them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 pm

And if they were destroyed, then f*ck JeffCo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 6:55 pm

eldigato wrote:
And if they were destroyed, then f*ck JeffCo.

My exact thoughts on Jeffco as well! Twisted Evil Haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 am

Cullen does say in his book that when all the evidence was progressively being released that a federal judge ordered Jeffco to hand over its key evidence including the Basement Tapes so they could be secured in a federal courthouse. Maybe they're still there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 9:18 am

CVA's new youtube vid on this topic for those who haven't already seen it.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 196603
Forum Reputation : 1327

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 10:35 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I never realized the rest of the families wanted them released. I don’t think the Harris’s saw them/cared at that point.

The only person who didn’t want them released was Sue. More than likely because of Dylan’s behavior.

The leak doesn’t seem too bad, I’ve always liked Dylan’s “Jesus you’re on a roll”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 10:45 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I never realized the rest of the families wanted them released. I don’t think the Harris’s saw them/cared at that point.

The only person who didn’t want them released was Sue. More than likely because of Dylan’s behavior.

The leak doesn’t seem too bad, I’ve always liked Dylan’s “Jesus you’re on a roll”

I can only hope that someday, somehow they will be leaked/released. Smile
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 11:10 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Can they be any worse than the 911 call that was leaked, the one where we heard Val?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 11:12 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Can they be any worse than the 911 call that was leaked, the one where we heard Val?

I doubt they would be.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 11:26 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I doubt they would be.

Lots of cringe, the boys acting tough and a single man tear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 11:28 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I doubt they would be.

Indeed, the saltiest man tear ever cried. LOL
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I doubt they would be.

Indeed, the saltiest man tear ever cried. LOL

Eric’s feels are real. Laughing
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 108713
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 12:05 pm

I said this many times before, I can almost promise you the FBI has a digitized copy probably sitting in a dusty box. Also, I don't think someone in jeff co making a copy for themselves before they were destroyed is out of the realm of possibility.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 123678
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm

slippy123 wrote:
I said this many times before, I can almost promise you the FBI has a digitized copy probably sitting in a dusty box.

Oh almost definitely, but they'll never release them.

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 3:26 pm

When the court unseals documents in the future, if Jeffco is lying about the tapes being destroyed, would we see them released?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 3:29 pm

hvernon wrote:
When the court unseals documents in the future, if Jeffco is lying about the tapes being destroyed, would we see them released?

Probably not.
Back to top Go down
KitKat2013

Contribution Points : 102994
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 1:57 pm

I am more concerned about the way they store these.
The videotapes are going to be demagnetified soon and digitized copies means either magnetic storage again or a CD, which also does not survive so long.

About the tapes, I think the basement tapes are probably the last, huge missing chunk of us [researchers] personal archive and I don't see any real reason for them not to be released - hypothetically. No need for the 911 call and such, because I don't think I'd like them, but on the other hand, there is equally / much more cruel stuff on Youtube (The Kyle Dinkheller shooting available on Youtube in 1998 still gets me irritated and disgusted every single time!!)

However, the basement tapes... Is it really that much more worse than Rampart Range? With all the sounds of the weapons that can cause PTSD to anyone involved in gunfights or the "entry, exit" commentary when imagine hitting a "soft target"?

Also, I might repeat myself, but there is a German documentary on a radio station called WDR as far as I remember, and while the narrator talks, there is the library 911 call to be heard. And I think the WDR has a full copy of that call in order to create a documentary - probably requiring them to make it a shocking, "Let's never make it happen again" style of documentation and regie, because it being used to emphasize the cruelty - and it really does its job. Now of course it might be one of the 1,000 snippets flying around the web that I have not heard, but to me, the segment that's played underneath the narrator gave me goosebumps.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 2:37 pm

It also shocks me that Rampart Range was released and not the basement tapes. There’s been a lot of speculation about and all this is speculation right now. It took me a long time to watch rampart range. I did not mind any of the other videos. I really couldn’t bring myself to watch them fire the actual guns, and when I watched it I got this really angry at Mark Manes.

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
It also shocks me that Rampart Range was released and not the basement tapes. There’s been a lot of speculation about and all this is speculation right now. It took me a long time to watch rampart range. I did not mind  any of the other videos. I really couldn’t bring myself to watch them fire the actual guns, and when I watched it I got this really angry at Mark Manes.

They also released Hitmen for Hire too, which IMO was a really questionable decision considering it was a school project that doesn't help at all in understanding who  Eric and Dylan were.

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
It also shocks me that Rampart Range was released and not the basement tapes. There’s been a lot of speculation about and all this is speculation right now. It took me a long time to watch rampart range. I did not mind  any of the other videos. I really couldn’t bring myself to watch them fire the actual guns, and when I watched it I got this really angry at Mark Manes.

They also released Hitmen for Hire too, which IMO was a really questionable decision considering it was a school project that doesn't help at all in understanding who  Eric and Dylan were.

True, The student films were just them acting. And they also made them look extremely human. Doesn’t do anything for people to not empathize with them.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

True, The student films were just them acting. And they also made them look extremely human. Doesn’t do anything for people to not empathize  with them.

It also shows them acting out their fantasies about killing jocks and people they hated, so I'm scratching my head as to why JeffCo decided to release it. Maybe cause it had already been seen by people other than, Eric, Dylan and the police?

Okay-Okay

Okay-Okay

Contribution Points : 58603
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
It also shows them acting out their fantasies about killing jocks and people they hated, so I'm scratching my head as to why JeffCo decided to release it. Maybe cause it had already been seen by people other than, Eric, Dylan and the police?

They may have thought that someone would share a copy regardless, so they released it to avoid controversy if those films were "leaked"

Contribution Points : 48900
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm

I have a career shadow later this month, and my father might know someone that works in the Jeffco Sheriff's office, as he might have mentioned it before. I might see if I can get a career shadow there, out of personal interest and other interests. I don't know if this has any relevance to this, but I'll see if anything happens lol. I personally don't think that the tapes were destroyed. I'll see what I can find out. It's highly likely that nothing will happen though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 5:59 am

Is there a complete transcript anywhere? All I can find are part-transcripts, part-vague-descriptions of what "the boys talked about" or "what they went on to discuss", but not what they actually said (which pisses me off).

Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 86057
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 8:40 am

patogen wrote:
Is there a complete transcript anywhere? All I can find are part-transcripts, part-vague-descriptions of what "the boys talked about" or "what they went on to discuss", but not what they actually said (which pisses me off).

Not to my knowledge.
These are the main sources I've found with information on the contents of the Basement Tapes:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Police partial transcript in the CR   pg. 10374-10483

Peter Langman's schoolshooters site. I don't know how he compiled this information as I wasn't aware that he had actually seen the tapes. But they are consistent with everything else I've read so I assume them to be accurate.

And the Time magazine article
Back to top Go down
wawbeast44

Contribution Points : 66870

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm

I'm not sure if I have shared this, but it is my best attempt to make an "Accurate" and complete Basement Tape transcript.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 156149
Forum Reputation : 2814

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 4:29 pm

News articles written by reporters who saw the tapes:

I will bump the thread.

Contribution Points : 61449
Forum Reputation : 108

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 1:06 pm

I haven't been able to read through the entire thread, so this may have been brought up already, but the FBI should have copies. IIRC Jeffco/Colorado doesn't fall under FOIA since they're not federal, but rather they have a special state version of FOIA. I'd say our best bet would be to find out what specific FBI office handled the case, and then contact them with a FOIA. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] do you guys have this info?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 99474
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 1:13 pm

properground wrote:
I haven't been able to read through the entire thread, so this may have been brought up already, but the FBI should have copies. IIRC Jeffco/Colorado doesn't fall under FOIA since they're not federal, but rather they have a special state version of FOIA. I'd say our best bet would be to find out what specific FBI office handled the case, and then contact them with a FOIA. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] do you guys have this info?

Sorority would probably know for sure. I am sure its in the 11k but I dont even know what i would be looking for. Perhaps I can look up specific officer info and see if it is listed under any of that

properground

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Cezar wrote:
The statutes of limitations never run out on murder.  (They shouldn't on rape either.)

So, the case is still open and they can't just destroy evidence.

They are telling lies.   Also, there are copies. Someone needs to "leak" them onto the net.

The basement tapes are set to be released 2026.  Which is suspicious.  The tapes should have been released by now.

There's another link on there titled "driving around Denver", but the link is broken. Anyone have a working link?
Back to top Go down
properground

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
properground wrote:

Sorority would probably know for sure.  I am sure its in the 11k but I dont even know what i would be looking for.  Perhaps I can look up specific officer info and see if it is listed under any of that

That's a pretty good idea. They usually list their office. I'll do some digging as well.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 127709
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 3:42 pm

The local FBI office in Colorado:

8000 East 36th Avenue
Denver, CO 80238
(303) 629-7171

Covers the entire states of Colorado and Wyoming

Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 89128
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:21 am

GreenGrayDay wrote:
Meanwhile, they can let videos like ISIS showing how to make bombs at home. But can't release a video from a event that already happened years ago...
No, they don't. IS themselves release their videos, not the police.
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 108098
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:17 am

You could file an FOIA to the FBI and hope that they reply.

SandraSmit19

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 106344
Forum Reputation : 235

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:47 pm

I've always felt so sure that I would want to see the basement tapes and for sure it would be fascinating but I kinda feel like I'm only really wanting to see them because there hasn't been anything released except for a short recording.

If the suicide pics hadn't been released - or leaked I think is more accurate - than I'd be morbidly interested in those as well. As it stands, I've seen them and moved on. Horrible to look at but nothing unusual anymore. That sounds terrible but there you go.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 8:16 pm

I agree with those that say releasing the tapes would have humanized Eric and Dylan in a way. I think that they did some ranting, etc. on the tapes that made them seem unhinged but some of the reporters who saw the tapes also realized how much E & D hated themselves. If they wanted to push the narrative that these were kids, Eric especially, that couldn't have been stopped because they were evil, this isn't something law enforcement would want widely known.

I also think it's possible that they said things about the police, the diversion program, etc. that would reflect badly on Jeffco officials if it got out.

I understand, in theory, how they may have considered that releasing the tapes could promote copycats. But once they were forced to release everything else- journals, videos, class writings, police statements of their friends, etc.- this argument was moot. There is more than enough in all of that for a copycat to get his/her fill from, as we've seen time and time again. The tapes wouldn't have made much more of a dent. All of those things were released before the tapes were "destroyed" (I think the FBI, at least, has a copy). This is why I think there must have been another, less "honorable" reason for withholding the tapes.
Back to top Go down
wawbeast44

Contribution Points : 66870

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 8:26 pm

I would even go out and say that just the shooting itself happening is enough to create copycats. They didn't need to release anything. Almost all School Shooting trace back to Columbine in some way or another. If the shooting didn't happen I can almost guarantee we wouldn't have as big of a School Shooting problem. Also The FBI does have a Copy. I'll have to find the "text," but I saw where I believe either one or multiple agents made copies.
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 66620

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

well, someone managed to get those Adam Lanza pics released by a foia request (where he's posing with guns). i think until that point everybody thought it would be impossible to ever see such pictures of adam.

afaik it was a user named "cryinghampster" from tumblr. he has also some other rare pictures of adam. there was also a thread on reddit about it with some background information about the foia request and the release of the pictures.

maybe someone with a tumblr account could contact him/her and ask if he/she could also try his/her luck on unreleased columbine stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Someone needs to sneak into the FBI building and retreve the tapes.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

Contribution Points : 78828
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Guest wrote:
Recently Jefferson County elected a new sheriff.

I have a question. Does anyone know if the FBI made a duplicate copy of the Basement Tapes? Because the FBI investigated this case, and reviewed all the video evidence, I assume that the FBI made a duplicate copy in storage and allowed JCSO to keep the original. I am just speculating here.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 pm

jada887 wrote:
I have a question. Does anyone know if the FBI made a duplicate copy of the Basement Tapes? Because the FBI investigated this case, and reviewed all the video evidence, I assume that the FBI made a duplicate copy in storage and allowed JCSO to keep the original. I am just speculating here.

On pg. 10377 of the CR it mentions that FBI Agent Jeff Diehl was given a copy of the tape showing Harris and Klebold showing their armaments, talking about Passover, the part where Eric cries in his car, talking about prom, the gun show, and the last segment right before the massacre. On pg. 10381 and 10383, a Jeffco officer notes that she made a copy of two of the other tapes, but it doesn't say if either tape was given to the FBI. The tapes in question show Harris and Klebold talking about Green Mountain Guns, Manes, Duran and Robyn helping them get guns, how they feel about all kinds of stuff/people/races. It also includes the scene with Eric by himself in his bedroom.

I'm guessing the FBI still has copies. Maybe we'll find out some day.
Back to top Go down
properground

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 12:57 pm

thelmar wrote:
jada887 wrote:

On pg. 10377 of the CR it mentions that FBI Agent Jeff Diehl was given a copy of the tape showing Harris and Klebold showing their armaments, talking about Passover, the part where Eric cries in his car, talking about prom, the gun show, and the last segment right before the massacre. On pg. 10381 and 10383, a Jeffco officer notes that she made a copy of two of the other tapes, but it doesn't say if either tape was given to the FBI. The tapes in question show Harris and Klebold talking about Green Mountain Guns, Manes, Duran and Robyn helping them get guns, how they feel about all kinds of stuff/people/races. It also includes the scene with Eric by himself in his bedroom.

I'm guessing the FBI still has copies. Maybe we'll find out some day.

There was talk of this in a thread on here a while ago. The FBI may have a copy of the tapes, as well as other photos. County departments have a different FOIA process, which is state-governed and is less likely to work; the FBI falls under FOIA itself. Someone found the field office that handled the tapes and the evidence and posted their contact info here. Any agency that could be subject to FOIA requests has to have a FOIA office (which may just be one or two people who are in charge of requests).

Our beat bet is to contact that office and make a FOIA request since Jeffco has never been helpful, and because FOIA stuff is taken seriously. I'd do it myself but I have reasons why I can't. If anyone is interested in trying I can give tips on how to submit the request to the office.

I really believe those tapes, or at least more evidence is only a FOIA request away, and if I was in a different position i'd do it myself.
Back to top Go down
rocdk

Contribution Points : 48900

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 pm

So I'm making an eFOIPA request to the FBI, does anybody have any tips on what exactly to request?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mbiholding

Contribution Points : 51575

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Technically, the video footage we have from late 2003 belongs to the infamous 'basement' tapes.

The former counsel for the Harrises and Klebolds, and those for the school district and many of the victims' families, would almost certainly have had the opportunity to review, and some cases, most likely made or were given a copy of the tapes provided.  

There were at one point likely up to several dozen partial or full copies among the lawyers, school district administration, and various responding law enforcement agencies, and even more if you add unauthorized audio made during the Fall 1999 closed press and family showings of what was likely only about 75-80% of the basement tapes.  

It is quite likely that many of these copies still survive.  Sue Klebold may very well be in direct possession of full copies.

However, I believe it is self-deluding to presume that you will ever receive an honest and forthcoming response from any law enforcement agency involved, on the matter of the unreleased tapes themselves, whether from the FBI or a sheriff's office in a neighboring county.  

I doubt the originals have truly been destroyed, and the decision to prevaricate on an almost impossible to justify FOIA request was made years before the uptick in these mass shooting incidents.  

There is not even a remote chance that any agency would intentionally and voluntarily disclose the existence of, let alone release, any portion of this evidence, in our present climate.

Their aiders and abettors in the Courts will do nothing to challenge or upset the now established narrative of purged evidence from a long 'closed' investigation.

Brian Rohrbaugh, Randy Brown, or the various local television station and newspaper journalists and the archives at their headquarters would likely be the nearest source of getting a leak of at least a lengthy audio portion of the unreleased tapes.

I believe most of us would find that these vaunted missing tapes are far more mundane (and juvenile) than the reputation they have garnered over the years, and are probably no more shocking outright than myriad (non-policy-violating) things uploaded daily to YouTube.
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

Contribution Points : 56634
Forum Reputation : 425

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 am

Has anyone made an eFOIPA request to the FBI yet? I have one written out and I am going to send it soon (unless someone already has). It costs money so I don't want to do it if someone already has and it didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 99474
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am

kblu wrote:
Has anyone made an eFOIPA request to the FBI yet? I have one written out and I am going to send it soon (unless someone already has). It costs money so I don't want to do it if someone already has and it didn't work.

I know some have said they were going to do it. I am not sure anyone has.

noodlesoldier

noodlesoldier

Contribution Points : 46196
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 6:23 am

I personally believe they won't release the tapes (cause let's be honest here, they didn't destroy shit.) because it will humanize them. Especially Eric. Him in his bedroom and him in his car crying. They want them in bad light, and that will pretty much shatter it. But also, as someone mentioned, that Sue doesn't want people to see her son that way. Talking about killing, calling girls bitches, etc.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 am

noodlesoldier wrote:
I personally believe they won't release the tapes (cause let's be honest here, they didn't destroy shit.)

Yes they did. I know this because logically they have everything to gain and nothing to lose from destroying those tapes. If the tapes are literally gone, nobody can ask for them.

Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 52302
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 6:28 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
noodlesoldier wrote:
I personally believe they won't release the tapes (cause let's be honest here, they didn't destroy shit.)

Yes they did. I know this because logically they have everything to gain and nothing to lose from destroying those tapes. If the tapes are literally gone, nobody can ask for them.

Still, I think there is at least one copy in the world.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 am

Onyx wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
noodlesoldier wrote:

Still, I think there is at least one copy in the world.

If there is a copy out there, JeffCo almost certainly doesn't have it (no incentive to keep it). CVA speculated that the FBI might have a copy stashed away somewhere, other than that, IDK.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basement Tapes Destroyed
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next