Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Choice Of Weaponry?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duskstareblazeithappypone

Duskstareblazeithappypone

Contribution Points : 80885
Forum Reputation : 0

Choice Of Weaponry? Empty
PostSubject: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 am

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and i had a question that's been bugging me for a bit. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to columbine and i was just wondering, Why do you think Dylan chose the tec-9 when it's notorious for it's inaccuracy and frequent jamming? Personally, I heard that he purchased it through someone at a gun show and i believe it may have been relatively cheap at the time and was just.. Kind of available. I mean, NBK was supposed to be a bombing where they shot at fleeing students, So, Maybe in the eyes of someone who's not so well versed in guns and ballistics, I don't think it mattered how powerful it was, As long as it got the job done. I also think maybe the seller might have overplayed it's capabilities a little but again, I'm a noob. What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
ellie z

Contribution Points : 82617

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm

They got the tec-9 from Mark Manes, who was introduced to them by Phil Duran, a co-worker of Eric and Dylan. I think they paid $500 for it. They wanted a gun and this one was available for them to buy, I think that's basically why they bought it. Both Manes and Duran did time for selling the gun to E&D, who were underage and couldn't legally buy the gun.

I'm not a gun person but I know others have talked about how they didn't have good guns and also how they weren't very good with them based on watching them in the Rampart Range video. The guns would do damage and I think that's what they mostly cared about.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 86932
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 7:07 pm

They were cheap, but I am not too certain of the gun market in the 90s. Now days at least the the Hi Point Carbine is around $300 for the 40mm version. So I would say the price was the main reason they bought those hunks of junks.

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97917
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 1:15 am

Because frankly its what was available for them in the short period of time and they were afraid they won't get another deal before NBK.

Also I think the large magazine capacity impressed them. They wanted calicos before.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
bigj

Contribution Points : 81096

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Before being discontinued in 2001, the tec9 had a retail price of about $189. So they overpaid by quite a lot. (currently tec9s are collectors items are worth $400-600)
You can get the exact same shotgun that eric had for $115, so it wasnt high quality either
Dylans double barrel surprisingly is worth the most at about $500 retail used.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 2:08 pm

bigj wrote:
Before being discontinued in 2001, the tec9 had a retail price of about $189. So they overpaid by quite a lot. (currently tec9s are collectors items are worth $400-600)
You can get the exact same shotgun that eric had for $115, so it wasnt high quality either
Dylans double barrel surprisingly is worth the most at about $500 retail used.

Interesting information on the pricing, I only know the NZ gun market rather than the US, and our prices are very high for everything.

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 am

Yeah the US currently has pretty cheap firearms prices. During the 90s though it was absolutely dirt cheap. You could buy a high end ak47 for $350, which makes me wonder why the settled for such garbage weapons
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 7:37 am

Why has their been an increase in price? Is it because of gun control issues?

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 10:21 am

Falcolus wrote:
Why has their been an increase in price? Is it because of gun control issues?

Higher demand, mostly in response to looming gun control laws (during the 2013 scare, most semi automatics shot up over 300% in price for 12 months, they have since returned to normal pricing)
As well as inflation of the USD

Random fact: you could buy full auto mp40,s ak47s, m16s in the early 80s for $1000-1500, today the same guns are worth 20-30,000$

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choice Of Weaponry?   Choice Of Weaponry? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Choice Of Weaponry?
Page 1 of 1