Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share
 

 Eric Harris And Postal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheOne99
Top Contributor
TheOne99

Posts : 766
Contribution Points : 28074
Forum Reputation : 36
Join date : 2018-05-12
Age : 17
Location : Kekistan

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Does anyone know what he thought about the game? Are there any accounts of him enjoying Postal?

For those that don't know:
Postal is a PC game that was released in November 1997, its basically like Hatred but in the 90s. The game was based on shooting sprees that were happening around that time. You play as some guy only known as "The Postal Dude" who strikingly wears a black trench Eric would later wear during the massacre, and basically just shoot everyone in sight (mainly cops and random strangers). Now for some reason this game didn't receive backlash from the media and from angry video game critics and such and was mostly ignored. However, Postal 2 is more well known and did cause almost a shitload of controversy.

Eric reportedly played Postal during his Junior year, but nothing is known about what he thought of the game and if he liked it, and after Columbine the media mainly blamed Doom rather than Postal.

_________________
"Metal rulz"- Kimveer Gill

"Criminals are made, not born" - Tim Kretschmer

"I'm the god/dictator of my own life" - Pekka-Eric Auvinen

"Being made human Without the possibility of BEING human The cruelest of all punishments." - Dylan Klebold

"fuck you" - William Atchison

"The Human race sucks" - Eric Harris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3227
Contribution Points : 53591
Forum Reputation : 1197
Join date : 2017-09-04

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 7:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Does anyone know what he thought about the game? Are there any accounts of him enjoying Postal?

For those that don't know:
Postal is a PC game that was released in November 1997, its basically like Hatred but in the 90s. The game was based on shooting sprees that were happening around that time. You play as some guy only known as "The Postal Dude" who strikingly wears a black trench Eric would later wear during the massacre, and basically just shoot everyone in sight (mainly cops and random strangers). Now for some reason this game didn't receive backlash from the media and from angry video game critics and such and was mostly ignored. However, Postal 2 is more well known and did cause almost a shitload of controversy.

Eric reportedly played Postal during his Junior year, but nothing is known about what he thought of the game and if he liked it, and after Columbine the media mainly blamed Doom rather than Postal.  

I find it very puzzling that no-one thought to blame this game on the massacre, considering its content, subject matter, and the fact that one of the killers played it. The only conclusion I've come to is that the reports might have been wrong, and that Eric did not play Postal, but IDK if that is a correct assertion.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOne99
Top Contributor
TheOne99

Posts : 766
Contribution Points : 28074
Forum Reputation : 36
Join date : 2018-05-12
Age : 17
Location : Kekistan

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 8:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Does anyone know what he thought about the game? Are there any accounts of him enjoying Postal?

For those that don't know:
Postal is a PC game that was released in November 1997, its basically like Hatred but in the 90s. The game was based on shooting sprees that were happening around that time. You play as some guy only known as "The Postal Dude" who strikingly wears a black trench Eric would later wear during the massacre, and basically just shoot everyone in sight (mainly cops and random strangers). Now for some reason this game didn't receive backlash from the media and from angry video game critics and such and was mostly ignored. However, Postal 2 is more well known and did cause almost a shitload of controversy.

Eric reportedly played Postal during his Junior year, but nothing is known about what he thought of the game and if he liked it, and after Columbine the media mainly blamed Doom rather than Postal.  

I find it very puzzling that no-one thought to blame this game on the massacre, considering its content, subject matter, and the fact that one of the killers played it. The only conclusion I've come to is that the reports might have been wrong, and that Eric did not play Postal, but IDK if that is a correct assertion.

I think the claim that Eric played it probably came from a classmate, maybe someone saw Eric playing Postal on a school computer maybe(I thought of this when the principle said he saw student's in the school library before the massacre playing Grand Theft Auto and Doom on the computers), maybe Eric owned the game for his PC but probably didn't like it that much and went back to Doom which I can kinda understand since the gameplay may get boring after a while. But then again, Postal would fit Eric very well considering his thoughts and views, so I dont see how Eric would have not liked it. But yea im just as puzzled as you are

_________________
"Metal rulz"- Kimveer Gill

"Criminals are made, not born" - Tim Kretschmer

"I'm the god/dictator of my own life" - Pekka-Eric Auvinen

"Being made human Without the possibility of BEING human The cruelest of all punishments." - Dylan Klebold

"fuck you" - William Atchison

"The Human race sucks" - Eric Harris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 386
Contribution Points : 25230
Forum Reputation : 890
Join date : 2018-07-15

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Sorry I'm a few days late on this but it took me a while to remember where I read it.

In Jeff Kass' book Columbine: A True Crime Story he writes:
Eric came to enjoy Postal, named for the act of "going postal." As the Wall Street Journal wrote in a front page story, the game "comes in a box riddled with fake bullet holes and features a gun toting character who goes beserk." It invites players to 'spray protestors, mow down marching bands and charbroil whole towns.' As children writhe on the ground, bleeding and screaming for mercy, the assailant must pick off police and other 'hostile' attackers. To quit the game, the lead character must put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger."

He then goes on to say that Eric's favorite game was Doom. Kass doesn't say where he got the information about Eric playing Postal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3227
Contribution Points : 53591
Forum Reputation : 1197
Join date : 2017-09-04

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Sorry I'm a few days late on this but it took me a while to remember where I read it.

In Jeff Kass' book Columbine: A True Crime Story he writes:
Eric came to enjoy Postal, named for the act of "going postal." As the Wall Street Journal wrote in a front page story, the game "comes in a box riddled with fake bullet holes and features a gun toting character who goes beserk." It invites players to 'spray protestors, mow down marching bands and charbroil whole towns.' As children writhe on the ground, bleeding and screaming for mercy, the assailant must pick off police and other 'hostile' attackers. To quit the game, the lead character must put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger."

He then goes on to say that Eric's favorite game was Doom. Kass doesn't say where he got the information about Eric playing Postal.

The underlined sentence makes me even more suspicious of the claim that Eric played Postal at all.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

@QuestionMark wrote:
@thelmar wrote:
Sorry I'm a few days late on this but it took me a while to remember where I read it.

In Jeff Kass' book Columbine: A True Crime Story he writes:
Eric came to enjoy Postal, named for the act of "going postal." As the Wall Street Journal wrote in a front page story, the game "comes in a box riddled with fake bullet holes and features a gun toting character who goes beserk." It invites players to 'spray protestors, mow down marching bands and charbroil whole towns.' As children writhe on the ground, bleeding and screaming for mercy, the assailant must pick off police and other 'hostile' attackers. To quit the game, the lead character must put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger."

He then goes on to say that Eric's favorite game was Doom. Kass doesn't say where he got the information about Eric playing Postal.

The underlined sentence makes me even more suspicious of the claim that Eric played Postal at all.
Agreed
Back to top Go down
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 386
Contribution Points : 25230
Forum Reputation : 890
Join date : 2018-07-15

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2018 10:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Kass doesn't say where he got the information about Eric playing Postal.

The underlined sentence makes me even more suspicious of the claim that Eric played Postal at all.


Is that because you don't trust Kass? He mentions Doom and doesn't source that info either and we know that to be true. Not saying you're wrong, because I have no idea, just curious as to whether people feel Kass is on a Cullen-like level or if you have another reason for doubting it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3227
Contribution Points : 53591
Forum Reputation : 1197
Join date : 2017-09-04

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2018 11:01 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Kass doesn't say where he got the information about Eric playing Postal.

The underlined sentence makes me even more suspicious of the claim that Eric played Postal at all.


Is that because you don't trust Kass? He mentions Doom and doesn't source that info either and we know that to be true. Not saying you're wrong, because I have no idea, just curious as to whether people feel Kass is on a Cullen-like level or if you have another reason for doubting it.

I have no opinion on the man one way or the other, I'm just saying an unsourced, unverified claim that's popped up a grand total of once is probably not credible.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iforgotmyoldname2



Posts : 29
Contribution Points : 17842
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2017-07-18

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Does anyone know what he thought about the game? Are there any accounts of him enjoying Postal?

For those that don't know:
Postal is a PC game that was released in November 1997, its basically like Hatred but in the 90s. The game was based on shooting sprees that were happening around that time. You play as some guy only known as "The Postal Dude" who strikingly wears a black trench Eric would later wear during the massacre, and basically just shoot everyone in sight (mainly cops and random strangers). Now for some reason this game didn't receive backlash from the media and from angry video game critics and such and was mostly ignored. However, Postal 2 is more well known and did cause almost a shitload of controversy.

Eric reportedly played Postal during his Junior year, but nothing is known about what he thought of the game and if he liked it, and after Columbine the media mainly blamed Doom rather than Postal.  

I find it very puzzling that no-one thought to blame this game on the massacre, considering its content, subject matter, and the fact that one of the killers played it. The only conclusion I've come to is that the reports might have been wrong, and that Eric did not play Postal, but IDK if that is a correct assertion.
Probably since Doom was a much more popular game. Same reason people would blame Marilyn Manson rather than KMFDM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123
Top Contributor
slippy123

Posts : 847
Contribution Points : 59123
Forum Reputation : 1050
Join date : 2015-08-25

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 11:28 am

I posted on this awhile ago: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sympathyforEandD

sympathyforEandD

Posts : 128
Contribution Points : 19363
Forum Reputation : 203
Join date : 2018-07-27

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 7:37 am

After reading the description of Postal I feel like Eric would've played it. He was a total edgelord and would view playing it as being all rebellious and EVIL and shit. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3227
Contribution Points : 53591
Forum Reputation : 1197
Join date : 2017-09-04

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
After reading the description of Postal I feel like Eric would've played it. He was a total edgelord and would view playing it as being all rebellious and EVIL and shit. Cool

Yeah that's part of the odd thing about the claim that he actually did play it. It seems like something he'd be into, yet no reliable evidence exists of him having actually played it.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123
Top Contributor
slippy123

Posts : 847
Contribution Points : 59123
Forum Reputation : 1050
Join date : 2015-08-25

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 9:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
After reading the description of Postal I feel like Eric would've played it. He was a total edgelord and would view playing it as being all rebellious and EVIL and shit. Cool

Yeah that's part of the odd thing about the claim that he actually did play it. It seems like something he'd be into, yet no reliable evidence exists of him having actually played it.

True, but they were teens in the peek of video game tech at the time, with PC's, N64 and Playstation. If we didn't have that 2 second video of Dylan playing soul caliber with Brooks, we would of said he probably never played it also. Let's not forget they were gamers at heart and seemed to be up to date with the culture too. So I don't think it is far-fetched to think at least one of the 2 kids who massacred kids would of played a game where they can simulate killing people Laughing .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caivs



Posts : 6
Contribution Points : 7000
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-09-18

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 4:36 pm

i wish i could remember who but i was reading statements in the 11k and someone did mentino that eric played postal. zack comes to mind but i can't say for certain if it was. if someone reads the associates section of the 11k they will find it. also someone needs to ocr the 11k so it can be searched lol. it wouldn't pick up a lot of words of course but perhaps better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emanation of Darkness
Banned


Posts : 104
Contribution Points : 8409
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2018-10-04

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2018 11:08 am

Take into account that Postal was a pretty shitty game mainly relying on pretty graphics and atmosphere. Everyone was a fucking bullet sponge there, including the protagonist, controls were atrocious, generally, the gameplay was shit when compared to Doom.

I think he liked it as a novelty, perhaps even finished it but never played it as much as Doom series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDoomedSpaceMarine

OneDoomedSpaceMarine

Posts : 19
Contribution Points : 11651
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2018-03-27

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm

I have always been curious as to how Eric (and Dylan) would have felt about Postal 2. Like, would they have liked (IF they liked it) solely for the mayhem you can do in it or would they have been smart enough to see the satire and social commentary in it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOne99
Top Contributor
TheOne99

Posts : 766
Contribution Points : 28074
Forum Reputation : 36
Join date : 2018-05-12
Age : 17
Location : Kekistan

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Like, would they have liked (IF they liked it) solely for the mayhem you can do in it or would they have been smart enough to see the satire and social commentary in it?

Maybe both?

_________________
"Metal rulz"- Kimveer Gill

"Criminals are made, not born" - Tim Kretschmer

"I'm the god/dictator of my own life" - Pekka-Eric Auvinen

"Being made human Without the possibility of BEING human The cruelest of all punishments." - Dylan Klebold

"fuck you" - William Atchison

"The Human race sucks" - Eric Harris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDoomedSpaceMarine

OneDoomedSpaceMarine

Posts : 19
Contribution Points : 11651
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2018-03-27

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2018 11:16 pm

If anyone remembers that "Hatred" game that came out a few years ago, that seems like something Harris himself would have made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
temporarylifeform

temporarylifeform

Posts : 74
Contribution Points : 7761
Forum Reputation : 65
Join date : 2018-10-30

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2018 5:29 am

Postal 2 wasn't really that good. It had good ideas, and was somewhat amusing, but the implementation wasn't that great. Granted I didn't play it until many years after its release, maybe if I'd played it at the time I'd have been more impressed and perhaps had a nostalgic bias.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 386
Contribution Points : 25230
Forum Reputation : 890
Join date : 2018-07-15

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm

I found it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was right.

Was reading through Zach Heckler's police statement (pg. 10755)
"He also identified a video game, "Postal", as being a game Harris often played, and noted it involved nothing but killing."

So Eric DID play Postal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3227
Contribution Points : 53591
Forum Reputation : 1197
Join date : 2017-09-04

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I found it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was right.

Was reading through Zach Heckler's police statement (pg. 10755)
"He also identified a video game, "Postal", as being a game Harris often played, and noted it involved nothing but killing."

So Eric DID play Postal.

Holy crap! Nice find! I didn't think this claim of all things was going to be confirmed. The more you know.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon
Top Contributor
hvernon

Posts : 672
Contribution Points : 38619
Forum Reputation : 784
Join date : 2016-11-22
Location : Missouri

Eric Harris And Postal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris And Postal   Eric Harris And Postal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 3:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I found it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was right.

Was reading through Zach Heckler's police statement (pg. 10755)
"He also identified a video game, "Postal", as being a game Harris often played, and noted it involved nothing but killing."

So Eric DID play Postal.

Holy crap! Nice find! I didn't think this claim of all things was going to be confirmed. The more you know.

Mystery solved! If anyone was going to find it, it was going to be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]! Good job.

_________________


"...we will be free, to explore the vast wonders of the stars. To cascade down everlong waterfalls, & thru the warmest seas of pure happiness... no limits... no limits. Nothing will stop us. "


-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Eric Harris And Postal
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» .Example Character Profile/Post.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Documents, Evidence, and Videos-
Jump to: