Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 122653
Forum Reputation : 3191

Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Empty
PostSubject: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 6:31 pm

As I was idly re-reading the New Yorker's article in which Peter Lanza was interviewed, and a certain detail from the passage struck out at me, and I wasn't sure what to make of it. 

Quote :
When Adam was thirteen, Peter and Nancy took him to Paul J. Fox, a psychiatrist, who gave a diagnosis of Asperger’s syndrome (a category that the American Psychiatric Association has since subsumed into the broader diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder). Peter and Nancy finally knew what they were up against. “It was communicated as ‘Adam, this is good news. This is why you feel this way, and now we can do something about it,’ ” Peter recalled. But Adam would not accept the diagnosis.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What motivated Adam to reject the diagnosis?

Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 94242
Forum Reputation : 600

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Maybe Adam didn't understand what Aspergers was? He seems like a complete enigma sometimes.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
D-FENS1993

D-FENS1993

Contribution Points : 61131
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am

I think he probably just hated the idea of being someone who has Aspergers and therefore rejected the diagnosis completely. I know I wouldn't be happy if I was diagnosed with Aspergers

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 am

I can not say for certain why Adam would have rejected having aspergers. I remember when I was first diagnosed with it at 13, I was in denial about it and rejected the label out of embarrassment. Over time I eventually ended up accepting it and seeing it in a positive light instead of a negative one. I see it for what it is. It is one of the many things that make me different from a lot of people. Adam had a very low self esteem however and never was able to admit to himself that he had aspergers because my admitting it he was afraid of it making him vulnerable to others even more than how he had already felt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2018 6:02 pm

He probably understood the stigma around Asperger’s and was ashamed by his diagnosis. I was diagnosed with a learning disorder (not the same as Asperger's, but similar) around that age. I understood what it meant and how it could affect the way people looked at me. It honestly stole any self-confidence I may of had at the time, and made me feel like I was even more strange then I already did.

Perhaps Adam felt the same, given his' already low self esteem.

Last edited by AntiSocial-MasterDebater on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 10:34 am

Adam seemed to have a hatred of therapists (or TheRapists as he called them) and probably psychology and psychiatry in general, so rejected the diagnosis.

I also remember reading that he didn't want to be treated any different in high school, despite the numerous arrangements put in place to make the experience as comfortable for Adam as possible, and the lengths Adam's mother and teachers had to go to to make him believe they weren't making any special accommodations for him.

He also had dreams of joining the military so maybe felt the diagnosis would be a black mark on his record.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am

AdamnLanza wrote:
Adam seemed to have a hatred of therapists (or TheRapists as he called them) and probably psychology and psychiatry in general, so rejected the diagnosis.

I think this is as close to being the truth as anything. Adam's thought process was very mixed up. He had issues with a huge number of things, but especially had a clear dislike of therapists.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?   Why did Adam deny having Aspergers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why did Adam deny having Aspergers?
Page 1 of 1