Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Empty
PostSubject: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 2:49 am

If so, did he make any specific comments regarding Eric or Dylan? About how they wanted to rival him?
Back to top Go down
gumshoe

Contribution Points : 80681
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 am

Everyone in America on April 20, 1999, knew about Columbine. Timothy McVeigh was in America.
Back to top Go down
AlteRoad

AlteRoad

Contribution Points : 64900
Forum Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 3:50 am

He was in prison at the time, so he might not have known, and he probably didn't care. Columbine wasn't an attack on the US government, a form of government overreach or an infringement on the rights of US citizens, so it wasn't really up his alley.

nochcherna likes this post

Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 70348
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 6:50 am

I'm not sure he ever addressed the shooting publicly but its no doubt he was aware.

I also think it happening one day after the Waco/OKC anniversary would catch his attention to address the above post.
Back to top Go down
gumshoe

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 7:34 am

AlteRoad wrote:
He was in prison at the time, so he might not have known, and he probably didn't care. Columbine wasn't an attack on the US government, a form of government overreach or an infringement on the rights of US citizens, so it wasn't really up his alley.

Virtually all prisons in America have televisions for inmates. The inmates talk to each other. McVeigh might not have known that E & D referenced the OKC bombing, but chances are excellent that McVeigh heard of the Columbine shooting. I doubt McVeigh personally had a big emotional stake in it though.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 9:00 am

gumshoe wrote:
AlteRoad wrote:

Virtually all prisons in America have televisions for inmates.  The inmates talk to each other.  McVeigh might not have known that E & D referenced the OKC bombing, but chances are excellent that McVeigh heard of the Columbine shooting.  I doubt McVeigh personally had a big emotional stake in it though.

If he had known that they were trying to outdo him I wonder what he would've thought about it.

gumshoe

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
gumshoe wrote:
AlteRoad wrote:

Virtually all prisons in America have televisions for inmates.  The inmates talk to each other.  McVeigh might not have known that E & D referenced the OKC bombing, but chances are excellent that McVeigh heard of the Columbine shooting.  I doubt McVeigh personally had a big emotional stake in it though.

If he had known that they were trying to outdo him I wonder what he would've thought about it.

If Timothy McVeigh knew that E & D were trying to top McVeigh, I think that McVeigh was mature enough not to give a damn about the fact that E & D were trying to get a greater kill count than McVeigh got.  McVeigh was not as immature as E & D.  Wanting to kill more people for fun and for fame than other mass killers did is kiddie stuff.  I don't think that McVeigh would have thought much of the fact that E & D wanted to top McVeigh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 pm

McVeigh did know about Columbine. From everything I have come to know of Tim, I just highly doubt he would have cared much about E&D trying to emulate his attack either way. It just wasn't on his spectrum of interest.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 10:22 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
McVeigh did know about Columbine. From everything I have come to know of Tim, I just highly doubt he would have cared much about E&D trying to emulate his attack either way. It just wasn't on his spectrum of interest.

I think too, the motivations for each of their attacks were so different. It probably wouldn’t even have registered with Tim.

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 11:04 pm

If E&D's plan to make the cafeteria collapse and kill around 200 people worked, McVeigh would have probably admired them, but the failed bombing and 'low score' shooting spree would have made him think of them as amatures.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 11:27 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Well I wonder if he would've regarded his attack as a failure in terms of spreading a message, since the only people going out to emulate him didn't share his motives and were only looking to outdo his kill count.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?    Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did Timothy McVeigh Knew about Columbine?
Page 1 of 1