Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Randy Brown’s book is out!

Go down 
+3
thelmar
andthentherewas1
kblu
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kblu

kblu

Contribution Points : 53134
Forum Reputation : 425

Randy Brown’s book is out! Empty
PostSubject: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 7:48 pm

I just ordered my copy and can’t wait to start reading it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Share with us how it is! I am hoping to order a copy soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 11:03 pm

It's on amazo.co.uk aswell. I can't buy it this month , I'll wait for July but if you can let us know if there's any fresh info and any revelations, we'd most surely be very happy and thankful Smile

Happy reading when it arrives!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2020 3:14 am

He can't really add much more than Susan did, and half his account could be lies anyway thanks to Brooks.
Back to top Go down
andthentherewas1

andthentherewas1

Contribution Points : 54311
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Is everyone on this fourm convinced that Brooks is a liar?
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82557
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm

Ivan wrote:
He can't really add much more than Susan did.

I don't agree with this. Again, I don't have my copy yet and have only read through the Amazon Kindle preview, but I'd imagine he has lots to say. The Browns reported Eric to police a half dozen times- he can give details on what the Jeffco said to them, how those meetings went. He can give 1st had info on Sheriff's Stone's campaign to discredit his family, not just to the media but to the victim's families. He can talk about his dealings with the Harris family (Wayne and Kathy) when they were dealing with the issue between Eric and Brooks. And, of course, as mentioned in the forum already, he's claimed to have the full 911 call. Maybe there are other revelations, as well.
Back to top Go down
vandands

Contribution Points : 61272
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 2:59 pm

If someone is able to upload it, I'd be forever grateful! Amazon says it does not ship to my country... Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

Contribution Points : 81859
Forum Reputation : 475

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I know for a fact that Brooks is a liar. He lied to me in so many ways back in the day online. He did some things, I called him out, and he denied them as well. Tread carefully with Brooks.

Randy also claimed to have found evidence he never cited. I called him out for refusing to cite his source since contradictory evidence existed and he accused me of trying to steal his information to take credit for his hard work.

Randy also publicly accused me of being 5 different people online, claimed he didn't know me, and that he had never sent me any documents or information. I scanned an envelope from him and posted it and he still denied it, then he accused me of secretly being Kendra from another research website and said I lied and the envelope was addressed to Kendra, not me, so I doxed myself and posted the whole name and address and he finally admitted he sent me documents.

I think they both have PTSD issues and are easily triggered, but neither Brooks nor Randy are forthcoming so anything Randy says that is not cited take with a grain of salt.

Beware, he loves to tell stories. I'll read his book, but I don't expect it to be truthful. If it is and he's not just spewing his nonsense theories without evidence, I'll eat my words.
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 pm

"This is the real story of the tragedy, from the point of view of the family at the center of the tragedy."

I'm about to buy the Kindle version, but have to say, wow, there's already a hefty dose of narcissism and I haven't even cracked the first page yet...

I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant to say he is ONE family who was at the center of the tragedy, and that saying he was THE family at the center was simply the wrong choice of words he and his editor overlooked.

QuestionMark and bit_bit46 like this post

Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 8:42 pm

EthanEmerson wrote:
"This is the real story of the tragedy, from the point of view of the family at the center of the tragedy."

I'm about to buy the Kindle version, but have to say, wow, there's already a hefty dose of narcissism and I haven't even cracked the first page yet...

I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant to say he is ONE family who was at the center of the tragedy, and that saying he was THE family at the center was simply the wrong choice of words he and his editor overlooked.

Not quite finished with the book, but I think it's written how he intended.
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 pm

Interesting...

I started reading and it seems like it might be a good insight into his life and how he and his family was affected, which is an important piece of the story. The arrogance is hard to wade through, but I'm staying open. I love that he's sharing his story.
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 am

Okay I'm just barely into the first real chapter and already I'm rolling my eyes.

Randy claims that Judy called detective John Healy and left him a message letting him know that she saw Eric Harris buying a gun magazine at the grocery store and told him that she thought another Jonesboro was about to happen.

Randy loves to tell stories and he has never mentioned that ever. It sounds made up. Like he's trying too hard to validate his efforts to get the police to take his complaints about Eric seriously. It reads like a fictional story someone makes up based on hindsight.

Worse, he states authoritatively that if Healy had investigated the rants about building bombs on Eric's website along with the information that Eric bought a gun magazine, since Eric and Dylan were both on probation, they would have gone to jail on a weapons charge. Ummm, that's not how it works?

They didn't have any guns back then, there is nothing illegal about buying a gun magazine, and the state would have had to prove somehow that they actually detonated the pipe bombs - they wouldn't have gone to jail for ranting about something there was no evidence of, and for buying a magazine.

Looks like Randy is still doing what he did best all those years ago... pushing his agenda (not sure what that is, exactly) with made-up stories and false claims that have no basis in fact or reality.

I'm barely 1% in and already I smell BS.

I have long suspected that Randy is unable to handle the fact that he wasn't able to stop the shooting and somehow he has this immense guilt about it, and everything he says and does centers on that guilt. Now he's got a book where he's making claims that are nonsensical and embellishing the facts surrounding his warnings to police... seemingly to make himself look like he did way more than he actually did to tell police about Eric... to make the police look even worse. Like now he's claiming his wife literally told the police that Eric was going to perpetrate the next school shooting?

I don't buy it. This guy has seemed "off" since day one, I don't know what his trip is, but he is one of the strangest Columbine parents/people I've ever known. Random attacks, lies, and manipulation seem to run in the Brown family.

I'm probably being overly critical, but the guy is bizarre. He once met someone in an elevator and accused them of being me... and on another occasion, he literally screamed at a friend of mine through the phone while we were in Denver, telling her that I was dangerous. He even called the cops on me and told them I was planning a shooting at the anniversary memorial in Clement Park.

Based on his history and the BS I'm reading in his book, I'm thinking he might be paranoid/delusional.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 149159
Forum Reputation : 2629

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 1:07 am

EthanEmerson wrote:
Okay I'm just barely into the first real chapter and already I'm rolling my eyes.

Randy claims that Judy called detective John Healy and left him a message letting him know that she saw Eric Harris buying a gun magazine at the grocery store and told him that she thought another Jonesboro was about to happen.

Randy loves to tell stories and he has never mentioned that ever. It sounds made up. Like he's trying too hard to validate his efforts to get the police to take his complaints about Eric seriously. It reads like a fictional story someone makes up based on hindsight.

Actually, that story has surfaced before. This article is from February 2004:

Quote :
Former Jefferson County Detective John Hicks began an investigation in 1998 after Randy and Judy Brown told deputies that Harris was making death threats against their son and others on a Web site.

Judy Brown said she remembers calling Hicks and leaving a message saying she had seen Eric Harris in a supermarket buying a copy of a gun magazine just days after five people were slain at a school in Jonesboro, Ark.

She said she left a message on the detective's answering machine: "Eric's into guns. You have to call me back. It's going to happen here."

A warrant was drafted to search Harris' home, but it was never executed and the investigation was dropped.

Hicks has spoken with Salazar's investigators but declined to discuss what he said. He now lives in South Carolina.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 am

I don't doubt that he's told the story before. He loves to tell stories. However, no matter how many times he tells the story that his wife specifically warned police that Eric was going to shoot up Columbine, I don't buy it. He could have told it a million times between 4/20/99 and today and that still wouldn't make it any more believable (to me). Other people might believe it, but not me. It sounds more like a story he made up to make police look worse to emphasize his point that his family warned police and they did nothing.

I'm not doubting the phone call and her mentioning the gun magazine, that sounds normal, but I question the veracity of her telling the police she thinks another Jonesboro might happen.

If he had something written or taped prior to Columbine that proved Judy actually said that, I would believe it. Heck, I was in contact with Det. Healy for a long time and if I still had contact I would ask him directly, but he retired and I lost touch. I connected with him on good terms finally after Randy dragged me through the mud and made Healy think I was some kind of threat.

I have a hard time believing Randy to start with, but this, to me, is kind of like how people claim to have predicted disasters and such after the fact. "I KNEW it was going to happen, I told you it would happen" when in reality, they didn't actually predict the event but they become convinced that they did. They develop "false memory" after the fact and in Randy's case I think he invents things intentionally to exaggeratedly prove his point.

I do, however, believe Randy believes his stories.

I don't think he ONLY tells stories. Some of it is truthful. It's a mixed bag, though.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 am

LPorter101 wrote:
EthanEmerson wrote:

Quote :
Former Jefferson County Detective John Hicks began an investigation in 1998 after Randy and Judy Brown told deputies that Harris was making death threats against their son and others on a Web site.

Judy Brown said she remembers calling Hicks and leaving a message saying she had seen Eric Harris in a supermarket buying a copy of a gun magazine just days after five people were slain at a school in Jonesboro, Ark.

She said she left a message on the detective's answering machine: "Eric's into guns. You have to call me back. It's going to happen here."

A warrant was drafted to search Harris' home, but it was never executed and the investigation was dropped.

Hicks has spoken with Salazar's investigators but declined to discuss what he said. He now lives in South Carolina.

Not sure what to believe, honestly, because so many people either don't recall the events at all, are very murky on details, or are actively being dishonest about them.
If you look at the Brown contacts that have been documented, the first time (it appears) that either Healy or Hicks had interaction with the Browns was on March 31, 1998 when they brought in the web pages in which Eric threatens Brooks and talks about pipe bombs. (I'm taking this chronology from the report about the investigation into the Directed Report, which, of course, may or may not be enitrely accurate:| ).

Jonesboro occurred on March 24, 1998. In the article it says Judy called Hicks "just days" after the the attack. Since she was in with investigators 7 days later and didn't mention it, I'd guess that this means, at the very least, her timeline would have to be off. She didn't know Hicks or Healy until that March 31st meeting, so she wouldn't have asked to speak with either directly (which she would have had to have done because she left a voice mail specifically for him), and neither Hicks nor Healy made any notations of such a phone message. Although, they're note taking, in general, seems sloppy at best.
Hicks actually says that he left that March 31st meeting before it was over and went home because he was feeling ill. He thinks Guerra, Grove, and Healy remained in the meeting with the Browns after he left. So, unless the Browns had an affinity for Hicks, in particular at that time, I would wonder why they didn't reach out to one of these other investigators when they weren't able to reach Hicks. Guerra was sort of informally "put in charge" of the complaint but I'm not sure the Browns knew that at the time, otherwise maybe they would have been sure to contact him, instead.
Hicks does say that his Call Log for March 31st shows that he got a call from Judy Brown, and then one from Randy Brown shortly after that. His Log says he returned the calls, but he doesn't remember them and he made no notes of the content of the call. Seems like this if this was the message about Jonesboro, Judy would have A) remembered that she saw Eric with the gun magazine on the same day they had met with police and B) remembered that Hicks had returned her call.

There is a documented contact on April 11, 1998 where Judy speaks with Deputy Tanya Williams about a threatening email that Brooks received. But no mention of the gun magazine.

All of this to repeat- I don't know what to believe. God knows the police covered up a bunch of stuff and their notes were a disorganized mess if they even wrote anything down at all. And the Browns do seem to have some of their dates mixed up, i.e., Randy says in his book that the windshield incident occurred in 1998 but Wayne Harris' journal shows it occurred in 1997. Maybe Judy saw Eric buying the magazine, it scared her, and she didn't call police. Maybe she did call police and it happened somewhere between March 31 and April 11. Maybe there is/was police documentation of it somewhere and they "lost" it. One of the many, many things I can not figure out in this case.

Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 1:12 pm

That makes total sense that somewhere their timelines have to be off. That's understandable of course.

It's VERY hard to determine fact from fiction from bad memory from invented story with so many things.

His incorrect timeline tells me he likely documented things after the fact, perhaps even after the tragedy, and was going off of memory rather than referring to notes made at the time, like Eric's dad did. That leaves the door wide open for error and misremembering. I've never interacted with Judy, but there's something off about her, too. She seems a little dramatic. But I could be wrong.

I'm not far into his book yet, but I'm really curious to see how (and if) he describes two specific things he has been adamant about yet has never been willing to cite his evidence for.

One, that he and Rohrbough say Rachel Scott died last. Seems like their reasoning is twisted testimony and hearsay and "secret sources that shall not be named" which I don't buy.

He also said that a live 9mm round was found on Curnow's body, but in the evidence the only thing listed is a copper fragment, which is not a live round. He never was willing to explain where he got that idea from and kept saying things like, "did you find it yet? You have all the evidence, you should be able to find it" and to this day I never have. Nobody else did, either. They just got mad that anyone would ask Randy to cite his sources.

I know there is a tendency to believe people who were close to the tragedy just because they were in the community, but that doesn't fly with me.

I do think Randy's experience is important to share. I just wish he wasn't so arrogant about presenting it. He seems to do things similar to Dave Cullen in the sense that he states he is the utmost authority and everyone else is wrong. Then people trust everything he says and they become unwilling to consider other facets of the conversation, which ends up leading people away from the full picture and they get trapped in one viewpoint that only presents partial truth.

Back to top Go down
vandands

Contribution Points : 61272

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for your words, obviously Columbine left a mark on a lot of lives. Maybe it feels like Randy is carrying a cross of his own... No one will know, but it's great to share thoughts on this new book, thanks Ethan for this and for your amazing new website! The concept of false memories is very interesting, I think this horrific event must've planted a few on the people that were more close to it... Sorry if my english's bad, i'm from Buenos Aires. Keep us updated on your thought's about the book!
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Your English is totally fine!

I do think you're right about Randy carrying his own cross. I've felt that for a while and seeing his guilt come out in his comments, that might be why he's so angry and quick to lash out at people and quick to judge what he believes to be a dangerous person online. I can't imagine being in his position having been the only person to warn police about Eric, knowing that they dropped the ball. It would be different if they executed the search warrant and didn't find anything to prosecute him with. But they never actually followed through.

It takes time to heal from things like this and I'm sure writing this book is part of his healing process. I'm very sympathetic to his situation, despite what it may sound like when I criticize things he says/writes.

On a personal level, I hope he finds the healing he deserves. On a public level, I hope people take his book as a piece of the story and a look into his personal experience rather than the definitive gospel on all school violence/shootings.

As for false memories, it is interesting!

I had an interesting experience of my own that drove it home for me deeper than anything (experience is the best teacher, right?). The interesting thing is that I knew within 10 minutes that I had created a false memory of what happened and fear was directing my recollection of the event (having a neighbor point a loaded Glock at me while chasing my other neighbor's dog).

There were details that I shared just minutes after the incident and yet as I was sharing the information I knew it was a false memory. As I was saying the words my brain was also telling me, "that's not exactly true... that's not really true" and it was the most bizarre experience. I was like, did that really happen that way? No, it didn't... I personalized the situation in the moment. He never pointed his Glock at me, he pointed it at the dog, but because the dog was in front of me, I felt like he was pointing it at me, but that wasn't true.

It was very interesting to experience the tug of war like that.
i can't imagine what the story/experience would have been if I were with another person and we chatted about it during the situation or right after... !!
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm glad you like the research site! It has long been a project for me to create something that helps people research and access cited information and skip wading through endless PDF files and the like. I haven't really promoted it and it gets a lot of traffic and long visit times so I guess people are using it. Even if nobody used it, I'd still make it, it's fun to organize data and I get to play with PHP and databases and JavaScript and JQuery... so either way it's a win lol
Back to top Go down
C#major

Contribution Points : 77433

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 11:07 am

LPorter101 wrote:
EthanEmerson wrote:

Quote :

Judy Brown actually mentions this same story in the following documentary: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

At roughly 27:15 she tells she saw Eric buy the magazine. She doesn't mention the citation referring to "It's going to happen here". The context as seen in the documentary makes me believe she is talking about her fear of Brooks getting shot because the magazine made her believe Eric is "into guns now".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown’s book is out!   Randy Brown’s book is out! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Randy Brown’s book is out!
Page 1 of 1