Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Source of the National Enquirer Leak

Go down 
+6
Gonz
Sabratha
Jenn
Juicy Jazzy
lasttrain
radaddio
10 posters
AuthorMessage
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83440
Forum Reputation : 10

The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Empty
PostSubject: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 12:52 pm

I was thinking about the leaked photos that the National Enquirer got a hold of. I recall that Danny R.s dad was showing them around town, and that's where the press got them. Do you think it would be possible to track down any remaining hard copy photos?

Is there any leads on who gave him the photos? I know they were sneaked out of the evidence boxes, but I don't recall if they had any theories on who did it.

Oddly enough, the JEFFCO Sheriff's office was the target of a hacking attack back in 2013 or so. It was to protest police violence or Islam or something. It made me wonder if the hacker might have found any photos : )
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102213
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 4:42 pm

I have to think that this stuff and a lot more is floating around out there. I have to think a lot of the parents got or made copies of it but are sitting on it.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 4:59 pm

True. It's too bad that Columbine happened right in that margin where we had the internet, but were still mostly using celluloid film. i imagine that there are more than a few freelance photojournalists that have rolls sitting in boxes somewhere, not to mention all of the video footage.

My thinking is that retired law enforcement will be the biggest source of new found media. A lot of the folks who worked the case are retired now, and might still have valuable, but not really sensitive or inflammatory, pictures or footage. The SWAT footage inside the school strikes me as a fairly benign piece of film that really could help researchers or archivists.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98569
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Are you talking about the victim crime scene photos? The families all had a chance to look at them (helps with the grieving process). The common belief on the old forum was that they were leaked by Brian Rohrbough in an attempt to 'avenge' the published photo of his dead son in the newspaper, on the morning after the shooting. I think National Enquirer was only given the images of Eric and Dylan.
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102213
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
Are you talking about the victim crime scene photos? The families all had a chance to look at them (helps with the grieving process). The common belief on the old forum was that they were leaked by Brian Rohrbough in an attempt to 'avenge' the published photo of his dead son in the newspaper, on the morning after the shooting. I think National Enquirer was only given the images of Eric and Dylan.

Just to be clear, you're saying that law enforcement gave every victims' family a chance to look at all of the pictures of the deceased victims in their original position in the library?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118808
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:08 am

Wasn't it 'Time' magazine that leaked the suicide photos? Or are we talking about something else? In reference to Dylan and Eric, that is.

Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:50 am

It might have been. I was remembering an article in the Denver Post, or one of the other Co. news outlets that were covering Columbine. The article talked about the Enquirer publishing the death photos of Eric and Dylan. But, it mentioned that the source of those photos also gave many others of the crime scene. Apparently, Dan R's dad was showing them around town with little regard for repercussions.

The article also mentioned that they locked down the evidence room pretty tight after that.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98569
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 5:54 am

lasttrain wrote:
Just to be clear, you're saying that law enforcement gave every victims' family a chance to look at all of the pictures of the deceased victims in their original position in the library?
I don't know if it was law enforcement, a parent who was given the images or someone within the department who leaked them.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 10:13 am

I'm not sure either. I saw your post where the families were allowed to see crime scene photos for the sake of closure. It makes me wonder if that viewing was a little more lax on security then they thought it would be.

I know a lot of money was greasing the wheels of the leaks. From what I remember, Nate Dykeman sold the "going to Columbine" video to ABC for a lot of money(16 grand). I found this regarding another payout:

''Good Morning America'' was the second news outlet to pay a fee for such material supplied by Mr. Dykeman, a Columbine senior. Mr. Dykeman has been widely sought for in-depth interviews by numerous news organizations because of his friendship with Dylan Klebold, one of the two gunmen. Mr. Dykeman had previously received $10,000 from the tabloid newspaper, The National Enquirer, for much of the same material and had turned down other interviews while he said he was under contract to that newspaper.

News executives from competing networks also criticized ABC's decision to pay Mr. Dykeman on the grounds that it was helping someone tangentially connected to the case make a profit from a tragedy and for the sheer amount of money ABC paid.

It makes me wonder if some of the news outlets ended up buying other images that weren't so TV friendly? We already know how crooked JEFFCO is.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97615
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 11:05 am

I'm pretty sure it was a family member of one of the victims, or one of the wounded victims. I'm not sure who, could be Roughborough, could be someone else.

I imagine it was an attempt to get back at E&D or the Harris and Klebold families in general.

If it was an attempt to get back at E&D, then someone did a very poor job. I know if I was in E&D's shoes and with a similar mindset, I wouldn't mind it at all if photos of my dead body got leaked. I'm sure E&D would be thrilled by their dead body photos being public, it just added to their fame/infamy rating.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 85015
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Quote :
Tallman said many of the 34 law enforcement agencies involved in the Columbine investigation had access to crime scene photos.

The Rocky Mountain News reported Tuesday that it and some families of the 1999 shootings at Columbine had obtained the photos but did not say how.

Rohrbough declined to say how he got the photos. "I certainly didn't steal them," he said.

Sounds weird to me that the families were so outraged about these pictures being leaked but they didn't want to say who gave the photos to them… I mean, if they would have received an anonymous package with the pictures I guess they would have say it, right? :/ So it seems more like they were trying to protect the source.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 2:56 pm

It does seem weird. But, there was a sort of memorabilia madness surrounding Columbine that still exists today. According to articles at the time, the evidence/photo viewing area at JEFFCO was pretty much wide open. After the leaks, and Brian R. showing the photos around town, they locked it down pretty tight.

Brian got away with a lot of stuff right after the shooting, because he was the perfect portrayal of an angry, grieving parent. I don't blame him either.
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

Contribution Points : 101899

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I seem to remember reading on another forum that after 4/20 the pic of the library were all over Littleton and just asking the right person you could have copies of them.... I need to dig that up.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Right, there was an article in the Denver Post, I think, that indicated Danny R's dad was showing around the pics as well. He never indicated where they came from, but the speculation was that it was the media. IN the early days after the shooting, they had easier access to the evidence and photos.

I've tried contacting other journalists that were there. One of them told me that the RMN pictures and negs of the shooting all ended up at the Denver public library. I have a contact name there as well, if anyone in the area wanted to check it out and maybe get some new pics.
Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 85015
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 4:41 am

DenverPost.com wrote:
Tabloid to run photos of dead Harris, Klebold

Sheriff warns of prosecution
By Kevin Simpson
Denver Post Staff Writer

Thursday, May 23, 2002 - Updated 11 a.m. - The Jefferson County sheriff's office said it will prosecute those responsible for making photos of the bodies of Columbine teen gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold available to The National Enquirer.

"This is terrible and disgusting," sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Tallman said today. She said she tried to persuade the Enquirer's lawyers, editor and reporters to withhold the photos to no avail.

Images of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold lying dead in the Columbine High School library will hit newsstands Friday as the supermarket tabloid publishes pictures leaked from the investigation of the school shooting, the paper's editor said Wednesday.

The two photos, which will run with a story headlined, "How the Two High School Gunmen Really Died," address the theory that Klebold didn't commit suicide and may serve as a deterrent to others who have romanticized the gunmen, said editor-in-chief David Perel.

He stressed that the Boca Raton, Fla.-based paper will publish no photos of victims - 12 students and a teacher died in the April 1999 massacre - and that the decision to publish the pictures of Harris and Klebold came after much discussion.

"These images bring home in living color the fact that there's nothing romantic about an act like this," Perel said. "These people met a brutal end. It's never an easy call to make when you show images as powerful and gripping as these. It's certainly going to have people talking around the country for weeks."

It already had them talking in Jefferson County, where the sheriff's department recently reeled from the news that many crime-scene photos - supposedly under its tight control - had been leaked. An investigation has so far produced no results.

"We were devastated by the leak, but to have the leak start to impact people is even worse," said sheriff's spokeswoman Tallman.

She said Jefferson County authorities were trying to reach lawyers for the Enquirer to ask that they not run the photos, "but I don't believe that will have any impact on what they choose to do."

Perel wouldn't say how the paper obtained the photos or whether it paid for them.

"There are a lot of people out there, in your hometown, who want these pictures out, and they weren't hard to find," Perel said. "You might even say they came to us."

The determining factors that pushed the paper to publish the photos were the absence of innocent victims and the news value of the accompanying story, Perel said.

Questions have long surrounded the official version of Klebold's death, based on the position of his weapon and the nature of his gunshot wound to the head.

Lawrence Kobilinski, professor of forensic science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, told the Enquirer that, based on the photos, Harris may have killed Klebold - but Perel noted that the judgment was made without benefit of the Klebold autopsy, which remains sealed.

An attorney for the Harris family did not return a call for comment. The attorney for the Klebold family said he would have no comment.

Brian Rohrbough, one of two victim family members consulted for the story, said that he had no problem with publication of the images but that the fact that they leaked further tarnishes the credibility of the sheriff's department.

Rohrbough himself has copies of many unauthorized photos.

"My first thought is that this is how Klebold and Harris should be remembered," said Rohrbough, whose son Daniel died in the shootings. "But the other thought is that Jeffco should not have leaked these photos."

Tallman said attempts to investigate the leak haven't been helped by the refusal of media outlets - and Rohrbough - to help. Rohrbough said he's not ready to aid any investigation in light of the way the department has treated his family in its search for answers regarding Daniel's death.

"Their behavior has been so corrupt that until they start showing some decency and some openness regarding what happened at Columbine, I'm not going to help them with anything," he said.

Columbine High School principal Frank DeAngelis notified his staff Wednesday night of the impending publication. He also was preparing an automated phone message for all parents "just to give them a heads-up," said Rick Kaufman, spokesman for Jefferson County schools.

Meanwhile, one mental health expert cautioned that viewing such graphic photos, especially by someone unprepared for the imagery, could pose a "significant risk" for symptoms like sadness, depression, anxiety and anger.

Jo Anne Doherty, vice president for clinical services for the Jefferson Center for Mental Health, also expressed skepticism that the photos might discourage other teens from taking similar action.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 7:39 am

Rohrbough himself has copies of many unauthorized photos.

This speaks volumes. I think a deputy was probably paid off for the pics, but we'll never know.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124084
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 11:26 am

Good post Gonz
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83239
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Jenn wrote:
Wasn't it 'Time' magazine that leaked the suicide photos? Or are we talking about something else? In reference to Dylan and Eric, that is.

Time leaked the info about the Basement Tapes. National Enquirer leaked the suicide photos.

I honestly believe there's copies of the BT out there in the hands of retired police too. JeffCo has gone to great links to keep them hidden so it may be simple fear keeping them from leaking.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 pm

I agree. I know some folks from LE. You would be surprised how laid back they are about some evidence photos.

I think whatever is out there would have to be very anonymously leaked, though.
Back to top Go down
Selah

Selah

Contribution Points : 80558
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 pm

I've heard rumors---but that's just what they are, rumors----that the crime scene photos in the library are floating around the deep web somewhere.

If it is true, I would think there would be a backlash of some kind from the families, especially Brian. And understandably so. That's what makes me doubt they are released on the net, surface or deep. But then again, they could be tucked away somewhere.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 11:31 pm

I've heard the same. I don't think it would be on the deep web, so much as it would just be sitting on a FTP server or publicly accessible drive of some kind. Eventually, the "hiding in plain sight" thing will play through. It just takes time. I would bet money that jefffco even left something somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Source of the National Enquirer Leak   The Source of the National Enquirer Leak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Source of the National Enquirer Leak
Page 1 of 1