Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him

Go down 
+7
slippy123
Screamingophelia
QuestionMark
jada887
true_crime
gyro
LPorter101
11 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150666
Forum Reputation : 2754

Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Empty
PostSubject: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 4:35 am

So here's a little tidbit from Susan Klebold's book:

Quote :
There was one more odd incident on our way home, which at the time Tom and I chalked up to Dylan’s desire to get back to his friends. The three of us stopped at a packed McDonald’s in Pueblo for a quick bite. A large group of teenagers had taken over a couple of tables against the wall. We’d just unwrapped our sandwiches when Dylan leaned forward, hardly moving his lips, and said urgently, “We have to go. Those kids are laughing at me.” I looked over. The teenagers were hooting and hollering and having a great time, and none of them was paying the slightest bit of attention to us.

“Relax, Dyl. Nobody’s looking at you,” I said. Besides, if a person didn’t want to be noticed, why wear a floor-length leather coat? But Dylan grew more insistent, casting quick, paranoid glances over his shoulder at the oblivious kids. He was so uncomfortable that we bolted our burgers and hustled out of there; the teenagers didn’t even look up at us as we left. The rest of the ride home was uneventful. (p. 242)

Dylan was painfully insecure, wasn't he?

Contribution Points : 52390
Forum Reputation : 28

Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 9:08 am

He really was. Just by the reaction, you can tell he had a lot of bad experiences with other teens. And those teens were people he probably didn't even know. It's sad to think that just by seeing strangers pulled a trigger and his mind started to generate and envision those kids making fun of him.

I think he's got several lines in his journal that says:
Everyone knows everyone. I swear, like im an outcast, & everyone is conspiring against me...  
All people i ever might have loved have abandoned me, my parents piss me off & hate me... want me to have fuckin ambition!! How can i when i get screwed & destroyed By everything??!!!! I have no money, no happiness, no friends... Eric will be getting farther away soon... I'll have less than nothing... how normal. I wanted to love... i wanted to be happy and ambitious and free & nice & good & ignorant.... everyone abandoned me.... i have small stupid pleasures,... my so called hobbies & doings.... those are all thats left for me

and that was back in '97. Dylan's insecurities just increased as the years went by and he completely started to lose hope
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58574
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 11:11 am

He just seemed desperate and very lonely. He murdered innocent kids but you still can’t help but feel for him.

This also makes Sue seem more in denial than her claim that she didn’t know warning signs of mental health ( or ignorance).

This also makes me wonder if he was dealing with some paranoia or even PTSD from bullying (which, yes, is a real thing!).

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96199
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 12:32 pm

shadowofthewill wrote:
He really was. Just by the reaction, you can tell he had a lot of bad experiences with other teens. And those teens were people he probably didn't even know. It's sad to think that just by seeing strangers pulled a trigger and his mind started to generate and envision those kids making fun of him.

Everyone knows everyone. I swear, like im an outcast, & everyone is conspiring against me...  
All people i ever might have loved have abandoned me, my parents piss me off & hate me... want me to have fuckin ambition!! How can i when i get screwed & destroyed By everything??!!!! I have no money, no happiness, no friends... Eric will be getting farther away soon... I'll have less than nothing... how normal. I wanted to love... i wanted to be happy and ambitious and free & nice & good & ignorant.... everyone abandoned me.... i have small stupid pleasures,... my so called hobbies & doings.... those are all thats left for me

and that was back in '97. Dylan's insecurities just increased as the years went by and he completely started to lose hope

Yes being in Pueblo its certain he did not know those kids and they didn't know him. Funny Sue points out that someone who does not want to be noticed wears something that stands out so much.

Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
shadowofthewill wrote:

Yes being in Pueblo its certain he did not know those kids and they didn't know him.  Funny Sue points out that someone who does not want to be noticed wears something that stands out so much.  

Dylan is interesting in that way. I wonder sometimes if he wanted to portray himself as rough and scary to make sure people left him alone?

I think Robyn described him as rough and you had to get to know him etc..

Where as Devon described him as a gifted poet, kind and a good listener.

jada887

Contribution Points : 75553
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 pm

LPorter101 wrote:

Quote :
There was one more odd incident on our way home, which at the time Tom and I chalked up to Dylan’s desire to get back to his friends. The three of us stopped at a packed McDonald’s in Pueblo for a quick bite. A large group of teenagers had taken over a couple of tables against the wall. We’d just unwrapped our sandwiches when Dylan leaned forward, hardly moving his lips, and said urgently, “We have to go. Those kids are laughing at me.” I looked over. The teenagers were hooting and hollering and having a great time, and none of them was paying the slightest bit of attention to us.

“Relax, Dyl. Nobody’s looking at you,” I said. Besides, if a person didn’t want to be noticed, why wear a floor-length leather coat? But Dylan grew more insistent, casting quick, paranoid glances over his shoulder at the oblivious kids. He was so uncomfortable that we bolted our burgers and hustled out of there; the teenagers didn’t even look up at us as we left. The rest of the ride home was uneventful. (p. 242)

That's a clear symptom of PTSD.
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105438
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 5:28 pm

I've always wondered if those kids ever realized who Dylan was after the shooting.

I can't imagine how mind boggling it would of been to realize the tall blonde kid in a trench coat they saw perpetrated the worst school shooting in America at the time.

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 5:46 pm

slippy123 wrote:
I've always wondered if those kids ever realized who Dylan was after the shooting.

I can't imagine how mind boggling it would of been to realize the tall blonde kid in a trench coat they saw perpetrated the worst school shooting in America at the time.  

Or the kids at Sues work realizing the teenaged boy who helped out on the playground was Dylan.

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 pm

true_crime wrote:
He just seemed desperate and very lonely. He murdered innocent kids but you still can’t help but feel for him.

This also makes Sue seem more in denial than her claim that she didn’t know warning signs of mental health ( or ignorance).

This also makes me wonder if he was dealing with some paranoia or even PTSD from bullying (which, yes, is a real thing!).
jada887 wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

Quote :

Is it? Given how Dylan wrote in his journal about how everyone, even his family, secretly hated him, I'm more willing to believe that he was genuinely paranoid.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 9:29 pm

If you look at it in the full context of Dylan Klebold, you could try and tie it to a pattern, but at the same time, this incident specifically could be nothing more than anxiety or a misunderstanding.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 11:18 pm

QuestionMark wrote:

Is it? Given how Dylan wrote in his journal about how everyone, even his family, secretly hated him, I'm more willing to believe that he was genuinely paranoid.

Yes, it is. PTSD is a condition that causes individuals to relive traumatic events. People who have PTSD often get chills, panic attacks, fear, and paranoia, when they are reminded of the event (or events) that caused the trauma. Based on what I've read, Dylan might have experienced PTSD at the McDonald's in Arizona. Dylan was probably reliving the torment he received in the commons. That's my hypothesis here. I'm not suggesting that Dylan wasn't a paranoid thinker; I'm just suggesting what he might have experienced in Arizona when he was confronted by teenagers who might not have noticed Dylan's duster.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 12:15 am

jada887 wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:

Yes, it is. PTSD is a condition that causes individuals to relive traumatic events. People who have PTSD often get chills, panic attacks, fear, and paranoia, when they are reminded of the event (or events) that caused the trauma. Based on what I've read, Dylan might have experienced PTSD at the McDonald's in Arizona. Dylan was probably reliving the torment he received in the commons. That's my hypothesis here. I'm not suggesting that Dylan wasn't a paranoid thinker; I'm just suggesting what he might have experienced in Arizona when he was confronted by teenagers who might not have noticed Dylan's duster.

It could be a possibility, yes, but I don't consider it to be high on the list.

There's another thing about this little incident that seems...off to me. For some reason I'm reminded of Dylan's school paper where he writes about a person (who has characteristics of himself) gunning down jocks and preps outside a bar.

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 am

QuestionMark wrote:
jada887 wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:

There's another thing about this little incident that seems...off to me. For some reason I'm reminded of Dylan's school paper where he writes about a person (who has characteristics of himself) gunning down jocks and preps outside a bar.

I still find it so interesting that his teacher was worried about the swearing more so than the content. Though before that day they probably didn’t think anything of it

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105438
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
jada887 wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:

I still find it so interesting that his teacher was worried about the swearing more so than the content. Though  before that  day they probably didn’t think anything of it

As the saying goes, hindsight really is 20/20.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96199
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Ignoring what Dylan did, the story read very much like a movie. So perhaps she saw it more as that kind of thing and only the swearing was out of place in a school. Despite being gory

Kilroy83

Contribution Points : 46650
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't think there's a contradiction between the clothes he wore and not wanting to be noticed, I used to wear goth clothes when I was younger and long coats were perfect for hiding my skinny body, insecurity is a bitch and even to this day, being 36 years old, I get mildly triggered if I hear people laughing and try to avoid packed places.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 3:13 pm

jada887 wrote:

I just reread that passage over the weekend, and I have come to the conclusion the McDonald's incident might be another symptom of Dylan's avoidant personality disorder instead of PTSD. It's very common for patients with AvPD to misinterpret other people's actions in a negative light.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 4:19 pm

jada887 wrote:
jada887 wrote:

I just reread that passage over the weekend, and I have come to the conclusion the McDonald's incident might be another symptom of Dylan's avoidant personality disorder instead of PTSD. It's very common for patients with AvPD to misinterpret other people's actions in a negative light.

anxiety too and again I am really not defending Dylan but after years of bullying I felt uncomfortable around people even glancing at me and laughing...

Still today i have to stop myself from thinking a laugh or a look might be about me...

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 4:41 pm

QuestionMark wrote:

I should probably clarify what I meant by this.

This is just conjecture, but maybe Dylan wasn't actually paranoid or fearful about those kids at the table. Maybe instead he thought their laughter was aggravating and it was pissing him off, and then he came up with the excuse that they were laughing at him so he could leave without having an outburst. I have a feeling that if he had been with Eric and Zach instead of his parents the trio would've gotten into a confrontation.

Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78878
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 6:43 pm

The image that I have of Dylan is a very paranoid kid(combined with severe depression of course). Is this true?
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 6:52 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
jada887 wrote:
jada887 wrote:

anxiety too and again I am really not defending Dylan but after years of bullying I felt uncomfortable around people even glancing at me and laughing...

Still today i have to stop myself from thinking a laugh or a look might be about me...

It seems that Dylan, from what I could tell, already had several avoidant traits before his teen years.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78878
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 7:01 pm

jada887 wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
jada887 wrote:
jada887 wrote:

It seems that Dylan, from what I could tell, already had several avoidant traits before his teen years.

Thats the narrative that I have, as well
Back to top Go down
Cipher225

Contribution Points : 36750
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 pm

I always felt this scene should be included in a Columbine movie. It’s such a clear view into Dylan’s mental state by that point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him   Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dylan went to a McDonald's in Arizona and thought kids were laughing at him
Page 1 of 1