Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Randy Brown quote

Go down 
+5
bradt93
TaylorsMom
Love
deathmedic
eli27
9 posters
AuthorMessage
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83607
Forum Reputation : 135

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 8:24 am

I came across this quote not long ago:

“Once you hate the bullies and no ones does anything to defend you, you hate the people in the class that don’t say anything, you hate the teacher that doesn’t say anything, you hate the counselors that allow it to happen. They, in essence, end up hating the school. Not just the bullies, they hate the school, and they want to kill the school.” - Randy Brown.

I wonder how much people agree with it.

I think it makes sense, after all they didn't necessarily target those who you might typically have guessed they would from looking at their lives, diaries, tapes etc before the shooting. Under the circumstances, they did manage to kill a few who represented the bad side of the school, but I always find it so strange that they overall killed who they did. It frustrates me, and I am always looking for answers, and I hadn't really thought about it the way Randy has put it here before. I think I will always disagree with they way they went about the shooting in the end, but this might alter my perspective/open my mind a little.

Also, I can see how they ended up hating the school as a whole rather than just certain people given the amount of damage they did to it specifically as well as to the students/teachers.

Contribution Points : 101899
Forum Reputation : 10

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 8:38 am

I agree with this... I still HATE my HS and it's been 20 years.
Back to top Go down

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 9:13 am

I will always hate my high school.

I seriously believe that if bullying was a non-existent human behaviour; school shootings would decrease ten-fold. Fuck bullies. They make it so that YOU are always in the wrong, the one who everybody hates. You can't even retaliate against them, because that will make them the innocent victims.
Back to top Go down
Love

Love

Contribution Points : 67666
Forum Reputation : 38

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 pm

I think that Randy really captured the essence. It is not that Eric and Dylan hated Rachel or the other victims. They were opposed to the school system. They not only kill people, but to destroy school property.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 78067
Forum Reputation : 25

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm glad [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] commented on the post because i haven't had time to really dive into all the threads here yet. I think Randy Brown indeed described E & D's emotions so to speak towards the shooting. To this day I still don't understand why they shot who they shot....why not attack the administration area or follow their "enemies" in their school for a week to see where they'll be at the time of attack and go there? I get that they wanted to kill as many as they could that day however that plan failed and they went on to plan B...shoot up the school. Why didn't they charge the school and shoot up the admin area or somewhere else? I guess they didn't care who they killed once the bombs failed, they just wanted to kill and kill again. I really can appreciate Randy's quote...and it is evident in the aftermath photos of the school that E & D despised their school!

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91056
Forum Reputation : 255

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 pm

deathmedic wrote:
I agree with this... I still HATE my HS and it's been 20 years.
I still hate my middle school after 15 years, so I don't blame you. I hope one day that building burns to the ground with noone in it of course.
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 pm

eli27 wrote:

“Once you hate the bullies and no ones does anything to defend you, you hate the people in the class that don’t say anything, you hate the teacher that doesn’t say anything, you hate the counselors that allow it to happen. They, in essence, end up hating the school. Not just the bullies, they hate the school, and they want to kill the school.” - Randy Brown.

I think it makes sense, after all they didn't necessarily target those who you might typically have guessed they would from looking at their lives, diaries, tapes etc before the shooting. Under the circumstances, they did manage to kill a few who represented the bad side of the school, but I always find it so strange that they overall killed who they did. It frustrates me, and I am always looking for answers, and I hadn't really thought about it the way Randy has put it here before. I think I will always disagree with they way they went about the shooting in the end, but this might alter my perspective/open my mind a little.

Also, I can see how they ended up hating the school as a whole rather than just certain people given the amount of damage they did to it specifically as well as to the students/teachers.
I mentioned this earlier, why didn't the teachers and other students defend them? It doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76161
Forum Reputation : 225

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Who did E&D kill who represented "the bad side of the school"? The Evangelical Christians? Boy there's a can of worms to open...they didn't kill Evan Todd or this Rocky guy that everyone thinks is such a bastard.

I came to hate my high school a lot more after I'd been in college a few years. Taking classes where the professors actually knew their stuff and cared about it, and where most of the students weren't redneck losers (I attended HS in northeast Kansas) really made me look back on my high school experience with a lot of disdain. Only a few nasty incidents happened to me, but they were sufficiently embarrassing; I can't say I was "bullied," but I'd probably avoid the people who messed with me if I encountered them today. I'm reminded of Roger Ebert's review of the film "Welcome To The Dollhouse" where he calls junior high a "hell" and says there isn't a chance he'd forgive any of the people who teased him about his weight. And yet I have to step back from that and realize that there are people who "got it" ten thousand times worse than I ever did.

The real problem with HS is that it was mostly boring and tedious and dopey most of the time; I wandered into high school in 1995 expecting it to be "the best years of my life" because that's what the American culture industry repeatedly tells you through pop music and movies and TV shows, but I was stupid for believing that. And of course the low quality of the education and the redneck kids and watching my old friends from grade school turn INTO dumb violent bigoted rednecks so that I realized I never should have been friends with them at all, and the fact that if something stupid happens to you it happens in front of people you've known your whole life, so you're less likely to forget the bad memories. That's the problem.
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 pm

That's exactly why I don't get Wayne moved his son out of Michigan where Eric seemed to like his old life. Yes, I know he was in the army and it requires to move, but still they both should've known the emotional impact Columbine was having on there sons either to pull them out of the school or move somewhere else.

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 pm

That's exactly why I don't get Wayne moved his son out of Michigan where Eric seemed to like his old life. Yes, I know he was in the army and it requires to move, but still they both should've known the emotional impact Columbine was having on there sons either to pull them out of the school or move somewhere else.

Love

Contribution Points : 67666

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm

They had two sons. And the oldest child was less of a problem to fit in.

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:45 pm

"fitting in", I hate that word, high school should be the best times of a teens life, they don't need to go worried about being picked on everyday.

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Wayne served our country, but I don't think he made the best decision for his son.

shades

Contribution Points : 79761

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 3:00 pm

bradt93 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Wayne served our country, but I don't think he made the best decision for his son.

Brad, you're speaking in hindsight. How was he to know what his son would end up doing? And he was obviously expecting to accept it maturely like a man and make the best of the circumstances and the moving. I'm not sure if he ever sat down with him and talked to him asking how how he was doing and if he was coping, but if not, regardless at that point of time Wayne couldn't have known.

He obviously intended for Eric to act like a strong man and be robotic and swallow any weaknesses he had,etc.

shades

Contribution Points : 79761

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 3:01 pm

bradt93 wrote:
"fitting in", I hate that word, high school should be the best times of a teens life, they don't need to go worried about being picked on everyday.

You should be screaming this at society then and literally every high school you walk into. How fast of a change do you think you can make at this popularity culture that has existed for forever

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 1:21 am

Well, anyone is going to snap when teachers or principals say "kids will be kids" freaking moronic.

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 1:21 am

I expect the principal to suspend or expel the student from the school who's doing the bullying.

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 am

I didn't hate school, I was just bored to tears. I realize how fortunate I was in that I wasn't picked on or bullied, but I would have taken care of business if someone had tried. It's really sad to see so many people who had miserable school lives. It's sad and heartbreaking that so many people had experiences awful enough, that it's extended past elementary, middle and high school. I really do feel bad and have nothing but compassion for these people.

ETA that just because I didn't have any issues in school doesn't mean I haven't suffered tragedy upon tragedy, because I have. As beautiful as life can be, it can also be unfair and awful at times.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78878
Forum Reputation : 304

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am

Its a great theory in practice, but most research Ive looked into suggests that its usually way more than this. I think it's a bit simplistic to narrow it down to bullying. In any given case, it might be factor, but its far from the only one. Theres no single cause, from most of the reseach Ive done

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 11:52 am

eli27 wrote:

It's blatantly wrong. How do you square this logic with the fact that Eric and Dylan hated cops and wanted to kill them as much as jocks and people who picked on them?

Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78878
Forum Reputation : 304

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 1:50 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
eli27 wrote:

It's blatantly wrong. How do you square this logic with the fact that Eric and Dylan hated cops and wanted to kill them as much as jocks and people who picked on them?

Most school shootings arent really about revenge against bullies, either way. Sure, its a factor, but it's hardly a direct cause ¹
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Randy Brown quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Brown quote   Randy Brown quote Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Randy Brown quote
Page 1 of 1