Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
 

 Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tragedy79




Posts : 242
Contribution Points : 81270
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-03-15
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 pm

I am still wondering something. I once discussed it already on the old board, but I am not sure what the answers were. After the Browns discovered the website of Eric and him making pipebombs and even that Dylan was involved, didn't Judy not talk to her friend Sue Klebold about that? I would say she didn't: there is no evidence she did. Afterall the Klebolds were really surprised that Dylan was well equiped with guns and bombs. They even thought he was pro guncontrollike his dad.

But on Reddit, Brooks was implying that his parents did talk about that with the Klebolds, and after Brooks heard that Eric was in big trouble, they assumed that was directly linked to their complaint. Which offcourse was because of the van-break-in.

I actually don't believe that the parents did know of Dylan's involvement, because otherwise they would have taken action. What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm

The Klebold family wouldn't have been able to comprehend what was about to take place, I doubt they took the website seriously. It was probably put down to boys being well, boys.
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn


Posts : 3039
Contribution Points : 96398
Forum Reputation : 799
Join date : 2013-03-13
Location : A place where it always snows.

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 pm

With Brooks reputation as, uh..not telling the truth a lot of the time, I wouldn't trust him as a source, and as far as I know, he is the ONLY source who says his parents spoke to the Klebolds. I honestly don't think they did, because, like you said, Dylan's parents seem very shocked and surprised that Dylan had even handled those weapons, let alone used them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tragedy79




Posts : 242
Contribution Points : 81270
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-03-15
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm still not completly sure though...If you have a friend and her son hangs around with a guy you consider dangerous, you would talk to her about that, right? I know I would...And Judy Brown is obviously a very outgoing person, who wouldn't mind talking to Sue about that.

And I also read somewhere the Klebolds did sue Jeffco about the complaint the Browns made. They felt that they were left in the dark there. Jeffco should have said that Dylan was involved in their opinion. So that implies that their also weren't informed by the Browns.

Speculation...speculation...It doesn't keep me up at night, but I am still wondering about it. There is so much about Columbine wich remains a mistery... scratch


_________________
Ignorance is bliss!-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 am

Didn't Brooks' father back up his story?
Back to top Go down
philosopher_king

philosopher_king


Posts : 187
Contribution Points : 80597
Forum Reputation : 8
Join date : 2013-03-15
Location : somewhere that you are not.

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 pm

I thought Brooks' mom mentioned in a documentary she didn't contact the klebolds about the threat to Brooks on Eric's website. Normally, both families would call each other if their children got into trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm

@philosopher_king wrote:
I thought Brooks' mom mentioned in a documentary she didn't contact the klebolds about the threat to Brooks on Eric's website. Normally, both families would call each other if their children got into trouble.
Hmm... That's interesting, perhaps they weren't worried about Eric's threats?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 am

Wasn't Dylan the one who told Brooks about the website in the first place? The Browns were concerned about the actions of Eric and thought Dylan was harmless. What would they warn the Klebolds about? Eric being a bad influence on their son?
Back to top Go down
tragedy79




Posts : 242
Contribution Points : 81270
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-03-15
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 7:12 am

But Brooks didn't tell his parents his source. They didn't know that Dylan told Brooks to take a look at Erics website.

_________________
Ignorance is bliss!-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
queenfarooq




Posts : 709
Contribution Points : 81637
Forum Reputation : 10
Join date : 2013-03-17
Location : England

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 pm

It's very interesting to note that in Jeff Kass' 'Columbine A True Crime Story' he states that Tom and Sue Klebold argued in their 'intent to sue' notice to the sheriffs department that the way in which they had handled the Browns report of Eric's webpages was "reckless, willful and wanton." "If the sheriff had followed up on the report and informed the Klebolds, Tom and Sue said, they probably would have demanded that Dylan stop hanging out with Eric."
(I only have this book only on my Kindle Fire which for some reason only displays locations rather than page numbers so i can only reference this quote as '63% Location 3733-5851')

In 'No Easy Answers' Brooks discusses 'the web pages' in chapter 8. He only states never telling his parents that he got the address from Dylan, he also says that he was afraid to go back to Dylan and mention it. Additionally he discusses his parents contacting the police but there is no mention of them calling the Klebolds. Brooks mentions feeling that if Eric found out he may hurt Dylan.
Later in the chapter Brooks mentions word getting around school that Eric and Dylan were in big trouble and telling his parents, so they naturally assumed it was because of the webpages and the police had done their job. They did not realize that the boys were in trouble because they had just had their first day in court for the van break in. Also shortly after in the same chapter Brooks mentions Randy's car / garage been shot at by paint balls and the trail leading back up to Eric street, perhaps they thought this was his "revenge" for reporting him.

From reading the above two pieces it sounds to me like the Klebolds never heard from the Browns about the webpages. Obviously the Browns assumed it had been dealt with when Brooks told them Eric and Dylan were in trouble at school so why would they then go and mention this to the Klebolds again? If in their eyes Dylan was being punished they may have wanted to stay away and let the police deal with everything. It sounds to me like if they just assumed Dylans parents knew they would deal with it.
Similarly why would the Klebolds even bother filing an intent to sue notice against the sheriff's department for the way they handled the web pages if they had in fact already been warned about them by a family friend and ignored them. This would be kind of stupid and i think the Klebolds are anything but. Also surely if the Browns found out about this they would be very vocal in correcting the Klebolds.

HOWEVER in his Reddit interview Brooks says "We went to Erics parents. Dylans too. The police even told us they were taking care of it, and I heard through a friend that Eric had gotten in big shit with the police. So we thought it worked. turns out it was totally unrelated. Don't know what else I could have done."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (If you go to 'find' and type in Eric you can find this quote)

Does anyone know of any other instances where Randy may have mentioned this?

Looking at this statement (again just my opinion) it would suggest they did go to the Harris' and Klebold' about the webpages... but in NEA Brooks mentions only discussing emailing the pages to the Harris' and Judy Brown saying there is no point as they did nothing about the snowball incident... So which is it?
Personally I think the Browns went to the police and never notified the Klebolds or Harris' they assumed the police had taken care of things as the boys had gotten into trouble at school. Neither of the boys from memory mention anything about Brooks in their journals reporting them for the websites and you think they would, especially Eric. In the Reddit interview maybe Brooks was meaning going to to Harris and Klebold families about a different incident. Or he was exaggerating.
I would just think with the amount of media interviews the Browns have done regarding Columbine they would have definitely mentioned warning the Harris / Klebold family about the website alongside discussing how they responded.

So in conclusion I don't personally believe the Browns ever talked to the Klebolds about the website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tragedy79




Posts : 242
Contribution Points : 81270
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-03-15
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
It's very interesting to note that in Jeff Kass' 'Columbine A True Crime Story' he states that Tom and Sue Klebold argued in their 'intent to sue' notice to the sheriffs department that the way in which they had handled the Browns report of Eric's webpages was "reckless, willful and wanton." "If the sheriff had followed up on the report and informed the Klebolds, Tom and Sue said, they probably would have demanded that Dylan stop hanging out with Eric."
(I only have this book only on my Kindle Fire which for some reason only displays locations rather than page numbers so i can only reference this quote as '63% Location 3733-5851')

In 'No Easy Answers' Brooks discusses 'the web pages' in chapter 8. He only states never telling his parents that he got the address from Dylan, he also says that he was afraid to go back to Dylan and mention it. Additionally he discusses his parents contacting the police but there is no mention of them calling the Klebolds. Brooks mentions feeling that if Eric found out he may hurt Dylan.
Later in the chapter Brooks mentions word getting around school that Eric and Dylan were in big trouble and telling his parents, so they naturally assumed it was because of the webpages and the police had done their job. They did not realize that the boys were in trouble because they had just had their first day in court for the van break in. Also shortly after in the same chapter Brooks mentions Randy's car / garage been shot at by paint balls and the trail leading back up to Eric street, perhaps they thought this was his "revenge" for reporting him.

From reading the above two pieces it sounds to me like the Klebolds never heard from the Browns about the webpages. Obviously the Browns assumed it had been dealt with when Brooks told them Eric and Dylan were in trouble at school so why would they then go and mention this to the Klebolds again? If in their eyes Dylan was being punished they may have wanted to stay away and let the police deal with everything. It sounds to me like if they just assumed Dylans parents knew they would deal with it.
Similarly why would the Klebolds even bother filing an intent to sue notice against the sheriff's department for the way they handled the web pages if they had in fact already been warned about them by a family friend and ignored them. This would be kind of stupid and i think the Klebolds are anything but. Also surely if the Browns found out about this they would be very vocal in correcting the Klebolds.

HOWEVER in his Reddit interview Brooks says "We went to Erics parents. Dylans too. The police even told us they were taking care of it, and I heard through a friend that Eric had gotten in big shit with the police. So we thought it worked. turns out it was totally unrelated. Don't know what else I could have done."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (If you go to 'find' and type in Eric you can find this quote)

Does anyone know of any other instances where Randy may have mentioned this?

Looking at this statement (again just my opinion) it would suggest they did go to the Harris' and Klebold' about the webpages... but in NEA Brooks mentions only discussing emailing the pages to the Harris' and Judy Brown saying there is no point as they did nothing about the snowball incident... So which is it?
Personally I think the Browns went to the police and never notified the Klebolds or Harris' they assumed the police had taken care of things as the boys had gotten into trouble at school. Neither of the boys from memory mention anything about Brooks in their journals reporting them for the websites and you think they would, especially Eric. In the Reddit interview maybe Brooks was meaning going to to Harris and Klebold families about a different incident. Or he was exaggerating.
I would just think with the amount of media interviews the Browns have done regarding Columbine they would have definitely mentioned warning the Harris / Klebold family about the website alongside discussing how they responded.

So in conclusion I don't personally believe the Browns ever talked to the Klebolds about the website.

Great post! Thank you and I agree with everything you say. I just read the statement on the articles threat where Sue Klebold actally is saying she never spoke to the Brown's about the website.

_________________
Ignorance is bliss!-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Did this whole thing initiate with Dylan tipping Brooks off by giving him Eric's website address? Brooks then checked it out, told his parents about the threats and the reports were filed thereafter.. Brooks was protecting Dylan and didn't mention who gave him Eric's website info.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq




Posts : 709
Contribution Points : 81637
Forum Reputation : 10
Join date : 2013-03-17
Location : England

Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:28 pm

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
Did this whole thing initiate with Dylan tipping Brooks off by giving him Eric's website address? Brooks then checked it out, told his parents about the threats and the reports were filed thereafter.. Brooks was protecting Dylan and didn't mention who gave him Eric's website info.

Basically yes that's what happened.
Brooks describes it as Dylan giving him a piece of paper before class one day with the web address for Erics site, he says Dylan told him it was Erics website, but asked Brooks not to tell Eric he gave it to him. After seeing what was written on the site Brooks told his parents but did not tell them Dylan gave him the address, he said he got it from someone else at school. Later Brooks claims that he never told his parents it was Dylan who gave him the web address until after the shootings and he was unsure of Dylans motives for giving Brooks the web address in the first place. (Chapter 8 No Easy Answers)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?   Did the Browns warn the Klebolds? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 4:06 pm

@queenfarooq wrote:
InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
Did this whole thing initiate with Dylan tipping Brooks off by giving him Eric's website address? Brooks then checked it out, told his parents about the threats and the reports were filed thereafter.. Brooks was protecting Dylan and didn't mention who gave him Eric's website info.

Basically yes that's what happened.
Brooks describes it as Dylan giving him a piece of paper before class one day with the web address for Erics site, he says Dylan told him it was Erics website, but asked Brooks not to tell Eric he gave it to him. After seeing what was written on the site Brooks told his parents but did not tell them Dylan gave him the address, he said he got it from someone else at school. Later Brooks claims that he never told his parents it was Dylan who gave him the web address until after the shootings and he was unsure of Dylans motives for giving Brooks the web address in the first place. (Chapter 8 No Easy Answers)

Ok, thank you for that. It's been a while since I read No Easy Anwers. In verifying that bit, I just find it very ironic. Dylan was the original source for this domino effect, this investigation of Eric. There's Dylan protecting his childhood friend secretly (idk, I think this is the obvious motivation for telling Brooks). Brooks protecting Dylan in return by not alluding that Dylan was the source. Brook's parents were good friends with the Klebolds and they knew that Dylan was friends with Eric, yet, they never mentioned their serious issues with Eric to the Klebolds to protect Dylan. It's sad the way fate turned out and that NBK was inevitable. Because on one hand, Dylan was doing Rebel Missions with Eric against Brook's house, and on the other hand, he seemed to be straddling both sides of the fence by secretly tipping Brooks off about Eric's web threats. Double agent dubious Dylan. He was the original source for how this could've been avoided if his parents had eventually been warned by the Browns and if the cops followed through. So many possibilities for it to turn out right but it just wasn't meant to be.
Back to top Go down
 
Did the Browns warn the Klebolds?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: