Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Empty
PostSubject: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The hearing Friday afternoon is expected to deal with several procedural issues, possibly including the setting of an initial trial date.

Cruz's public defender also is likely to ask to waive Florida's speedy trial rule. The rule generally requires that a felony defendant go to trial within 175 days of arrest unless it's waived.

His lawyer says Cruz would plead guilty if guaranteed a sentence of life without parole, but prosecutors seek the death penalty.

Will be watching to see is anything gets decided today on a trial date.
Back to top Go down
Guest83142

Contribution Points : 70123
Forum Reputation : 163

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Last edited by Guest83142 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 2:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well really not much was decided in Cruz's court hearing today, other then he waived his right to a speedy trail. Which we already knew they were going to do.

Another court date has been set for May 25th at 1:30.

Cruz is starting to look very scruffy.

His brother Zach was also there in support.

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120178
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Well really not much was decided in Cruz's court hearing today, other then he waived his right to a speedy trail. Which we already knew they were going to do.

They're going to drag this one out for a while I imagine.

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

They're going to drag this one out for a while I imagine.

So it would seem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 8:27 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz on Friday waived his constitutional right to a speedy trial, giving his defense team more time to prepare his case.

In the interest of moving the case along, Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer set a May 4 deadline for Cruz’s lawyers to formally request evidence — such as witness statements, videos, and police and autopsy reports — from prosecutors.

“I don’t want this case treading water, so to speak,” Scherer said.

Under Florida law, the speedy trial rule generally requires that a felony defendant go to trial within 175 days of arrest unless it's waived. By waiving it, a trial deadline is eliminated, giving lawyers on both sides an indefinite amount of time to prepare to take the case before a jury.

Cruz’s younger brother, Zachary, came and went from the hearing alone Friday. He watched his brother intently, seemingly hoping to make eye contact.

Nikolas Cruz, handcuffed to a belly chain and shackled at the ankles, shuffled into court, head down.

When he took a seat at the defense table, he sneaked a quick peek at prosecutors. His head remained deeply bowed for the remainder of his time in the courtroom.

When asked after court if he’d like to make a comment, Zachary Cruz, 18, said, “Nope.”

Nikolas Cruz’s next hearing was set for May 25. At that time lawyers will discuss how to proceed with the case, including which witnesses to depose first.

“I’d like to go through and figure out how many depositions you’re going to take,” the judge said. “I’m not looking to pin you down, I just mainly want to get the depositions, if they’re going to be taken, moving along.”

Cruz waived his right to the speedy trail in court yesterday, so this is likely to be one long, drawn out trail when it ever does really get started.

Also I am very much wanting to see the evidence they gather.  scratch
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120178
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 12:21 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Cruz waived his right to the speedy trail in court yesterday, so this is likely to be one long, drawn out trail when it ever does really get started. 

It's probably going to be like James Holmes's case, where he wasn't sentenced until three years after the crime.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018   Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nikolas Cruz due back in court. 4/27/2018
Page 1 of 1