Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK? Empty
PostSubject: Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK?   Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Why did they do it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK?   Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Because they could and felt like doing it.

That's the main line of reasoning I have concerning NBK right now: two boys had the crazy idea to go kill everyone they felt didn't deserve to live, spent more than a year planning something that'd ultimately end up being quite a bit of a failure, and nobody in all that time had the coherency of mind to put a stop to it despite very strong hints from both that something was wrong. I think they felt like the world around them 'had it coming because they didn't see it coming'. I think it was the ultimate 'fuck you' to a society that neither felt they belonged to. (Whether they actually did belong, or could've belonged, is beside the point: the boys didn't feel they did, so they took up the position of omega in the pack regardless.) Why did they do it? I think the main question they would've replied with is "why not?".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK?   Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Good post Dragon.

I've always thought the boys made it perfectly clear why they did NBK: they wanted fame and revenge, they wanted to make a statement about social mendacity and ignorance, and they wanted to take pleasure in the murder and destruction of the people and places they despised. Also, I think neither of them had any self-identity outside of the Reb and Vodka personas they'd created to get through adolescence and survive as long as they did. High school was about to end and that also spelled the logical end of Reb and Vodka. In the end, what was left "under" the Reb and Vodka personas was just two terrified, shunned children whose self-esteem was so low that only thoughts of homicide and suicide offered them any respite whatsoever from misery and self-loathing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK?   Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why did Eric and Dylan commit NBK?
Page 1 of 1