Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Prednisolone

Prednisolone

Contribution Points : 47332
Forum Reputation : 48

Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?   Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 pm

I think the leftist push to say that Tarrant's actions represent the essence of white nationalism is stupid. As far as I know, every ideology has some kind of blood on it's hands, no matter what it is. That's why it's not really an argument to say that most terror attacks in North America in the last decade were committed by white supremacists (even assuming that were true, which it's not). I wouldn't say that every person who is a militia type should be compared to Timothy McVeigh in the same way I wouldn't say that every white nationalist should be compared to Anders Breivik of Norway, Dylann Roof, Robert Bowers and Patrick Crusius of the United States, Brenton Tarrant of New Zealand, Franz Fuchs of Austria or David Copeland of the UK.

Islamic terrorism is the same. I'm no history scholar, but as far as I know Islam didn't become a problem until we started invading their countries. I think terrorism is simply a reaction to change, whether it be good or bad. Like they say, one man's terrorist is another man's hero. Isn't that true? I think people who are so wrapped up in ideology to the point that it becomes a way of life aren't the problem, but whatever caused it is 9 times out of 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?   Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
apartment213

Contribution Points : 36865
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?   Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 am

Prednisolone wrote:
I think the leftist push to say that Tarrant's actions represent the essence of white nationalism is stupid. As far as I know, every ideology has some kind of blood on it's hands, no matter what it is. That's why it's not really an argument to say that most terror attacks in North America in the last decade were committed by white supremacists (even assuming that were true, which it's not). I wouldn't say that every person who is a militia type should be compared to Timothy McVeigh in the same way I wouldn't say that every white nationalist should be compared to Anders Breivik of Norway, Dylann Roof, Robert Bowers and Patrick Crusius of the United States, Brenton Tarrant of New Zealand, Franz Fuchs of Austria or David Copeland of the UK.

Islamic terrorism is the same. I'm no history scholar, but as far as I know Islam didn't become a problem until we started invading their countries. I think terrorism is simply a reaction to change, whether it be good or bad. Like they say, one man's terrorist is another man's hero. Isn't that true? I think people who are so wrapped up in ideology to the point that it becomes a way of life aren't the problem, but whatever caused it is 9 times out of 10.

To quote Richard Ramirez: "Men murdered themselves into this democracy". As you said, terrorism is a matter of perspective. I'm from Ireland, which, during "The Troubles", was a hotbed for terrorism. Many viewed the IRA as not being terrorists, but "freedom fighters". Their political branch, Sinn Fein worked on its brand for years and now it is the most popular party in the country. Even earlier there was the 1916 Rising. Dreadfully unpopular with the average Irishman at the time, but as soon as the British started executing the leaders of the uprising, the Irish public were outraged and support for the participants in the rising surged. Terrorism is about martyrdom. The terrorist destroys or even ends his/her own life for a "greater cause". I think democracy largely acts as a pressure release valve. It is inherently revolutionary. The government can drastically change without firing a single bullet.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78878
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?   Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 10:11 pm

I dont, and it's not a leftist narrative, either way. People remove the barrier for how far they can go when they dehumanize people. Its probably not the only factor, but we cant treat those two as mutually exclusive. They are not. Central to the dellusional minds of Tarrant is the idea that muslims are trying to take over the world etc.

Thats also why he targeted the mosque.

Much like their radical islamist foes, they target anything that they deem non- human.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78878
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?   Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 10:14 pm

I dont think it's a leftist narrative, either way. People remove the barrier for how far they can go when they dehumanize people. Its probably not the only factor, but we cant treat those two as mutually exclusive. They are not. Central to the dellusional minds of Tarrant is the idea that muslims are trying to take over the world etc.

Thats also why he targeted the mosque.

Much like their radical islamist foes, they target anything that they deem non- human.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?   Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Terrorism and the politics behind it?
Page 1 of 1