Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zero Day (2003) censorship

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fishbulb

fishbulb

Contribution Points : 29293
Forum Reputation : 25

Zero Day (2003) censorship Empty
PostSubject: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 12:04 pm

hello all,
I remember watching a copy of Zero Day years and years ago (probably 2012 or so?) on some piracy streaming website. While watching, I vividly remember a scene where they're in a home depot or whatever and outline how to build pipe bombs, I remember this because I recall thinking at the time "wow, it's wacky they were allowed to include these detailed instructions in the movie".
Anyway, I've had a recent renewed fascination with this case, and wound up watching Zero Day again, only to discover the pipe bomb scene was no longer there. Anybody have any clue when this was removed? I can make a pretty good guess as to why it was taken out. Also, does anybody have a copy with that scene intact? Very curious if it's gone for good.

thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 pm

fishbulb wrote:
hello all,
I remember watching a copy of Zero Day years and years ago (probably 2012 or so?) on some piracy streaming website. While watching, I vividly remember a scene where they're in a home depot or whatever and outline how to build pipe bombs, I remember this because I recall thinking at the time "wow, it's wacky they were allowed to include these detailed instructions in the movie".
Anyway, I've had a recent renewed fascination with this case, and wound up watching Zero Day again, only to discover the pipe bomb scene was no longer there. Anybody have any clue when this was removed? I can make a pretty good guess as to why it was taken out. Also, does anybody have a copy with that scene intact? Very curious if it's gone for good.

thanks!

There was a version uploaded to yotube with Spanish subtitles that had that scene, but they deleted it.  To this day I can't forgive myself for not downloading it Sad (the same with elephant, now I only find the movie in Italian) I always download movies that I knew would be erased, like "The Angel" but I still don't understand why i didn't do the same  with zero days.  Isn't there some more underground  sites where it can be found?  Anyway, I think they were right to censor that scene.
Back to top Go down
fishbulb

fishbulb

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 12:51 pm

margaflor wrote:

There was a version uploaded to yotube with Spanish subtitles that had that scene, but they deleted it.  To this day I can't forgive myself for not downloading it Sad (the same with elephant, now I only find the movie in Italian) I always download movies that I knew would be erased, like "The Angel" but I still don't understand why i didn't do the same  with zero days.  Isn't there some more underground  sites where it can be found?  Anyway, I think they were right to censor that scene.

Yes!! The Spanish subtitle version was the one I watched years ago- I totally forgot that it was on YouTube and not some seedy streaming site. And yeah, I absolutely understand why the scene was cut as well, it's probably for the best, but I'm still curious to see it again. I did some cursory digging on versions of the movie that are available elsewhere, but none of them had the scene either...

What's the story on those other movies you mentioned btw? Elephant and The Angel?? Stories of movies being censored/lost like this always totally fascinate me.
Back to top Go down
fishbulb

fishbulb

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 1:04 pm

woah, I'll be damned!! someone just hit me with a PM with an archive.org link to the uncut version!
I can't reply to your PM since my account is too new, but thank you for sharing. I would post the link here too, but I'm assuming that's against the rules somehow since it was sent to me privately rather than being posted here in the first place? Shouldn't be hard for anyone determined enough to find it on archive.org tho... 0:30:17 is the timestamp
Back to top Go down
fishbulb

fishbulb

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Despite having had my curiosity satisfied for seeing the scene again, I'd still be very curious to learn when this edit was made. Who made the call? What prompted them to cut it now rather than just not include it in the first place? How long has the bomb-less version been the definitive version of the film?
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 104837
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 1:49 pm

fishbulb wrote:
Despite having had my curiosity satisfied for seeing the scene again, I'd still be very curious to learn when this edit was made. Who made the call? What prompted them to cut it now rather than just not include it in the first place? How long has the bomb-less version been the definitive version of the film?

They most likely cut it due to legal reasons.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's against the rules to send instructions of how to build bombs in private messages.
Here's the full set of the rules to this forum

fishbulb likes this post

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151470
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 2:03 pm

Elephant is on archive.org, as well.

fishbulb

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Koltin wrote:
fishbulb wrote:

They most likely cut it due to legal reasons.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's against the rules to send instructions of how to build bombs in private messages.
Here's the full set of the rules to this forum

ah jeez!! Makes a lot of sense that that's a rule. But yeah, I promise I have 0% intention of building anything. Swear on my life. I was just curious abt the scene's removal and such haha. I've lurked here for a minute, so once I noticed the scene was missing from the version I watched, I figured if anybody would know the story they'd be here. thanks for the forum info and the like!!
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 104837
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm

fishbulb wrote:

ah jeez!! Makes a lot of sense that that's a rule. But yeah, I promise I have 0% intention of building anything. Swear on my life. I was just curious abt the scene's removal and such haha. I've lurked here for a minute, so once I noticed the scene was missing from the version I watched, I figured if anybody would know the story they'd be here. thanks for the forum info and the like!!
You're welcome.
LPorter101 wrote:
Elephant is on archive.org, as well.
It's still up on YouTube for now, reuploaded though. It's probably going to get taken down again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 2:27 pm

fishbulb wrote:
margaflor wrote:

Yes!! The Spanish subtitle version was the one I watched years ago- I totally forgot that it was on YouTube and not some seedy streaming site. And yeah, I absolutely understand why the scene was cut as well, it's probably for the best, but I'm still curious to see it again. I did some cursory digging on versions of the movie that are available elsewhere, but none of them had the scene either...

What's the story on those other movies you mentioned btw? Elephant and The Angel?? Stories of movies being censored/lost like this always totally fascinate me.

Well, I am excited to tell these films because they are not well known and I adore them !!  In fact I was planning to do an elephant drawing soon, so here I will give you a short summary of the 2 films Smile

Elephant, is an independent production by Gus van Sant, inspired by columbine, it may seem a bit long or boring, but I think it has a very ingenious production.  They show you how several of the characters walk or go through the school having a normal life, witnessing different events from their point of view (that is, sometimes the same event happens but as the scenes are changed to the point of view of a different character, they change,  I do not know if it is understood) it also shows a little, the life of the 2 shooters, Alex and Eric, as Alex suffered bullying at school, also scenes of them 2 playing video games, playing the piano, etc ..... until  The planning of the shooting, they have a pretty nice set, the truth is, and speaking about that, what I like the most about the film is how it plays with the scenery, in the shooting scene (I will not do spoilers) it shows how it progresses further,  From the point of view of the shooters, everything is getting darker and with blue tones, as if their mind was already at the limit, it is good, I recommend you to see it and I leave you an interesting article about it: https: // www  .sensesofcinema.com / 2005 / the-  metaphysics-of-violence / elephant-2 /

And the Angel, oh well, it's my favorite, I think mostly because it was produced and it's a story from my country, The Angel is more of a serial killer (I'm not generally interested in serial killers) but the movie is very  entertaining and interesting, I could see it a thousand times .. I also bought the book on which the film was based, which I think unfortunately only has a Spanish translation.  It is based on the murderer Carlos Robledo Puch, nicknamed "The Black Angel" or "The Angel of Death" because of his appearance, he committed more than a dozen murders and multiple robberies in the 70s before he was 20 years old.  .  He was arrested in 1972 and is still alive today.

El Ángel is an Argentine production, which deals with the life of Carlitos (based on the Argentine serial killer Carlos Robledo Puch), a 17-year-old adolescent with an angelic appearance.  Despite his behavior problems, no one can resist him, his mother adores him and overprotects him even though his father is hard on his.  He always gets everything he wants from other people, Carlos despite his appearance and his charm, is very challenging, in high school after provoking a classmate named Ramon Peralta in a class, they go to address.  There they meet and start a criminal duo, where stealing and killing becomes a habit.  In the film, it is shown with a very well done set design from the 70's and a unique tone, not only the crimes but the things that they have to go through while they are executed, (there is a bit of romanticism between Carlos and his partner) the film is  sad and I think the first time I saw her she almost made me cry.  It's on Netflix but I think it's only on Netflix in Spain, however I have it downloaded with English subtitles (I think) I haven't saw that file for a long time.  I highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97892
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am

Ah Zero Day, still the 2nd best spree killing film.

Without "Zero Day", "Bullet time" would never get made.  "Have you ever felt such glory?"

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zero Day (2003) censorship   Zero Day (2003) censorship Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zero Day (2003) censorship
Page 1 of 1