Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do memories alter over time?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82757
Forum Reputation : 3068

Why do memories alter over time? Empty
PostSubject: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 7:42 pm

This is a theme I've noticed a lot with regard to Columbine. Comparing statements of kids then, to what they say now as adults, I just don't understand why their interpretation of events becomes so different.

For example:
Evan Todd now claiming he was shot (not hit by splinters but actually shot), and that he challenged Dylan by saying "I've been good to you and everyone in this school and you know it" (when he actually said he didn't want to get into trouble and "I don't have a problem with you guys, I never did and I never will")

Kim Blair- saying she made eye contact with the shorter of the two gunmen just before they began firing and that she didn't know either of the gunmen.
To now, saying she made eye contact with Dylan and he didn't shoot her because she'd always been nice to him, and he didn't shoot her twin in the library because he thought Patti was Kim.

Kristen Long- saying she stopped having breakfast with Zach, etc. because she wanted to spend more time with her boyfriend. Not mentioning anything about her brother, who in his statement said he went home for lunch and saw nothing.
To now, saying Eric and Dylan, etc. talked about dark things and she stopped hanging out with them because she wasn't going to engage in their sick fantasies. And claiming her brother saw them at one of their cars preparing just before their attack.

I found another in this article:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mollie Weksler (now Mollie Holt)- saying that her Vietnam vet dad spoke at school about his experiences in the war and how Eric asked questions about weaponry used on the helicopters and in the war (pg. 7359)
To now, saying that Eric was "obsessed with her father's lethal military experiences in Vietnam." and that he asked morbid questions about her dad's time in the service.

I understand that going through something so tragic would make you question everything. But, how does that change what you experienced?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 8:11 pm

This is a fantastic discussion.

I spoke to a survivor once and she said she was interviewed shortly after and didn’t remember a lot. It was only around Christmas she started to gain more and more memories from that day.

I think after all this time, talking to others and getting memories mixed up may contribute to it.

Maybe a few times Eric talked adamantly and passionately about his interest in weapons in the cafeteria. Then later in the year Mollie remembers Eric asking thoughtful questions about it...

Years later she combines the two? No fault of her own, it just happens.

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Evan Todd: My guess is he is just trying to beef up his story and make himself look better. 15 minutes of fame, that whole thing y'know.

Kim Blair: Possibly scared to let anyone know she was somewhat familiar with either shooter even just as an acquaintance. These were kids that were scared out of their minds. She might have felt that telling someone that would have warranted more from the police.

Kristen: Same theory as Kim. These kids were scared that Jeffco or the FBI would think they were involved somehow if they said anything about knowing the shooters. As for her brother... not sure?

Mollie: It sounds like she is just rewording her original statement. Perhaps looking back on the questions that Eric asked after the shooting happened does appear more morbid than just a teen boy curious about the war.

For all we know, they're all changing their stories for any attention. Maybe they've pondered over the day so much they look back on small things and find them sinister now. These are just my little theories, anyways. Of course, we won't ever know.

Maybe survivor's guilt on some of their parts?

Back to top Go down
joebox97

joebox97

Contribution Points : 69075
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Evan Todd is as worthless as cullen
Back to top Go down
HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64337
Forum Reputation : 1210

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 12:32 am

I think it kind of falls into the Mandela effect. Like some people swear when they first watched Star Wars ESB that Vader says "Luke, I am your father" when he actually says "No, I am your father." (Even the voice actor for Darth Vader swears he recorded the first line)

Or the childhood books a lot of us probably read. A lot of people would swear it was called The Berenstein Bears, but they are actually spelled BerenSTAIN

Or maybe over time as trauma releases its grip on your mind, memories are more vividly remembered.

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:34 am

I love the topic of false memories. It is very interesting to see how over time someone can be brought to believe something that never happened. And your brain actually believes it is true.

thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I love the topic of false memories.  It is very interesting to see how over time someone can be brought to believe something that never happened.  And your brain actually believes it is true.  

It's really quite bizarre. Like, at what point does the actual event get written over for the "new memory" or, if as in the case of @ScreamingOphelia's friend, when does the brain kick in and fill in the blanks of what really happened?

I think I agree that Evan Todd is knowingly falsifying events, but the others, I'm unsure. And if they are, or if they started to at what point, why? And, do they now believe those new things to be truth in place of what they believed before?

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 1:22 pm

thelmar wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
I love the topic of false memories.  It is very interesting to see how over time someone can be brought to believe something that never happened.  And your brain actually believes it is true.  

It's really quite bizarre. Like, at what point does the actual event get written over for the "new memory" or, if as in the case of @ScreamingOphelia's friend, when does the brain kick in and fill in the blanks of what really happened?

I think I agree that Evan Todd is knowingly falsifying events, but the others, I'm unsure. And if they are, or if they started to at what point, why? And, do they now believe those new things to be truth in place of what they believed before?

Evan might actually believe his new account now. I am sure he knows he wasn't actually shot but perhaps in his memory he can hear himself speaking those words. Hard to say. I dont trust him at all but it is possible

thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Ok, I just found another one. This one just has me shaking my head. It's so obviously untrue and I just cannot for the life of me understand why Craig Scott is saying this.

I'm not sure if I can post the link (mods- please let me know and I'll edit this to add it), but there is a post on reddit that links to a tumblr blog. In the blog is a video of Craig Scott stating that Corey Depooter was a hero because not only did he place a girl (presumably Jennifer Doyle) behind him to protect her, but that Corey also jumped out from under the table and tried to physically stop Eric and Dylan.

Jennifer Doyle, Peter Ball, and Austin Eubanks were under that table. None of them claim this, moreover, Austin said that when Dylan approached the table he fired multiple times directly at Corey and when the gunfire stopped Austin looked at Corey and knew he was dead.

Why in the world is he saying this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 12:26 am

thelmar wrote:
Ok, I just found another one. This one just has me shaking my head. It's so obviously untrue and I just cannot for the life of me understand why Craig Scott is saying this.

I'm not sure if I can post the link (mods- please let me know and I'll edit this to add it), but there is a post on reddit that links to a tumblr blog. In the blog is a video of Craig Scott stating that Corey Depooter was a hero because not only did he place a girl (presumably Jennifer Doyle) behind him to protect her, but that Corey also jumped out from under the table and tried to physically stop Eric and Dylan.

Jennifer Doyle, Peter Ball, and Austin Eubanks were under that table. None of them claim this, moreover, Austin said that when Dylan approached the table he fired multiple times directly at Corey and when the gunfire stopped Austin looked at Corey and knew he was dead.

Why in the world is he saying this?

My only guess is that he confused him with Daniel Mauser...? Of course, Daniel wasn't under the same table and only pushed a chair at Eric rather than jumping out or anything. That's the only person I can recall fighting back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do memories alter over time?   Why do memories alter over time? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do memories alter over time?
Page 1 of 1